Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Spinz posted:

Iistened, Beatles version is better

Yeah. I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's a toss-up between "Golly Gosh, It's The Beatles!" (1962), "Involuntary Abortion Technician" (1968) or "Beep Boop, It's The BeAItles" (2025).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spinz posted:

Iistened, Beatles version is better

Same, and now my belief is that Helter Skelter is a bad song all around.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

remember that Helter Skeeter channel on youtube that was almost entirely doug clips set to covers of helter skelter

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
THIS is the earliest hard rock song imo

It's 2000 years old (and only 3 min long)

https://youtu.be/fBTT3VPriV8

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This song goes hard and heavy as poo poo in 1954 and it sucks balls this dude isn’t really mentioned among guitar pioneers/greats. Shredding, feedback, reverb, and it’s all done with his thumb, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJg7_FgVTI

And here’s an alternate version that goes just as hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2n5PLwMy7w

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

This song goes hard and heavy as poo poo in 1954 and it sucks balls this dude isn’t really mentioned among guitar pioneers/greats. Shredding, feedback, reverb, and it’s all done with his thumb, I think.

And here’s an alternate version that goes just as hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2n5PLwMy7w

"Space Guitar"

It is awesome.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Marty Robbins also made a hard-rear end country song when the bass’s equipment had a bad vacuum tube that turned it into the first distorted fuzz tone on record. Guitar pedals mimic that sound because of this recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WBBcH6OPU

Marty Robbins owns.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

exile on main street

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

exile on main street

Exile in Guyville

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dixville posted:

Ah yes the "too high" phase of the Beatles

the Rolling Stones actually got too high and made Their Satanic Majesty's Request, sort of a r esponse to sgt pepper

its not good but its worth a listen. also it's got "She's a Rainbow"

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

eSports Chaebol posted:

the Rolling Stones actually got too high and made Their Satanic Majesty's Request, sort of a r esponse to sgt pepper

its not good but its worth a listen. also it's got "She's a Rainbow"
Ooo and 2000 Light Years From Home which is FABULOUS

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

"Involuntary Abortion Technician" (1968)

Leading to the lawsuit Apple Records/Lennon McCartney VS Butthole Surfers.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Revolver

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I think you will find that "Best of the Beatles" starring Pete Best is their finest album

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The early stuff is underrated these days. Rubber soul rules though, good opinion OP. I think I said this in the last Beatles thread but Hard Day’s Night is untouchable, hit after hit after hit. It’s insane.

Magical mystery tour may just be a weird mishmash of random singles and stuff but it bangs too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Beatles are the perfect encapsulation of popular music, as they emerged at the beginning of pop music, then guided it through its complexity.

I wanna hold your hand to Helter Skelter.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

The Beatles are the perfect encapsulation of popular music, as they emerged at the beginning of pop music, then guided it through its complexity.

You might say the beatles are the epitome of pop culture.
At least internationally

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

White Album is easily the most overrated. Some really good songs but they're sandwiched between gimmick songs like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and Rocky Raccoon that wear out their welcome after a couple listens.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You might say the beatles are the epitome of pop culture.
At least internationally

Well, pop culture has certainly expanded/evolved since The Beatles.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The album they did with charlies Manson on lead vocals as obviously the best, although I think personally they shouldn't of gone to the Polanski mansion, seems like they were trying a bit to hard to keep up with their "bad boys of rock" image IMO.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the Yellow Submarine soundtrack is good as heck, now I think on it. has three of my absolute favorite Beatles songs in "Hey Bulldog", "Only a Northern Song" and "It's All Too Much". even the B-side of music from the film is pretty fun

also: "Old Brown Shoe": bop, or super bop?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Well, pop culture has certainly expanded/evolved since The Beatles.

of course it has.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rubber Soul has a lot of great ones but Michelle is so tedious.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
The word "underrated" has been used with so many different meanings in this thread and elsewhere that its' now officially meaningless.

People use it to mean "does not get mentioned every 3 seconds all day every day" and other BS.

Going with the original meaning, "underrated" would mean that the album is appreciated less than it deserves. I wouldn't say such a Beatles album exists. Beatles For Sale is their shittiest album, and it's deservedly seen as such. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and parts of the subsequent albums are generally seen as the best, which is accurate.

Therefore, there aren't any underrated Beatles albums.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

The word "underrated" has been used with so many different meanings in this thread and elsewhere that its' now officially meaningless.

People use it to mean "does not get mentioned every 3 seconds all day every day" and other BS.

Going with the original meaning, "underrated" would mean that the album is appreciated less than it deserves. I wouldn't say such a Beatles album exists. Beatles For Sale is their shittiest album, and it's deservedly seen as such. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and parts of the subsequent albums are generally seen as the best, which is accurate.

Therefore, there aren't any underrated Beatles albums.

loving A man! you make sense. You are a very smart person. I can't believe you were the first person to think of this

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
I have no idea which of their albums people even like anymore, back when I used to care about poo poo like this (like 2004), everybody loved Revolver and hated Sgt. Pepper's, so I'd say Sgt. Pepper's, which is just great, even if nothing's on it's as good as "Good Morning Good Morning"

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Rubber soul is very good and the word is an amazing song. Ringo goes off on that number, it's some of his best work by far. He really was a fantastic drummer. I kinda hate the Ringo sucks meme because not only was he extremely influential but he was a very talented drummer. He could play fiercely and yet very precisely, but he could also stand to play very simple rhythms, something very good drummers can sometimes have a hard time doing. He didn't have to rip up every song with intense patterns and fills.

His drum set up became the standard and he's a major reason people use matched grip.

And im not even a drummer.

Honestly all their albums were very good for different reasons.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 24, 2023

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Cosmik Debris posted:

Rubber soul is very good and the word is an amazing song. Ringo goes off on that number, it's some of his best work by far. He really was a fantastic drummer. I kinda hate the Ringo sucks meme because not only was he extremely influential but he was a very talented drummer. He could play fiercely and yet very precisely, but he could also stand to play very simple rhythms, something very good drummers can sometimes have a hard time doing. He didn't have to rip up every song with intense patterns and fills.

His drum set up became the standard and he's a major reason people use matched grip.

And im not even a drummer.

Time to post something condescending referencing Neil Peart.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That's hard to say

Like, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's Abbey Road have all been acclaimed about as much as possible

The White Album is about 1 really solid album worth of material

So maybe Let It Be? I dunno. Help! is also so solid front to back too. So it's probably Help or Let It Be.

edit: God drat The Beatles are so loving good

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 24, 2023

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Toxic Mental posted:

That's hard to say

Like, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's Abbey Road have all been acclaimed about as much as possible

The White Album is about 1 really solid album worth of material

So maybe Let It Be? I dunno. Help! is also so solid front to back too. So it's probably Help or Let It Be.

edit: God drat The Beatles are so loving good

What's your definition of "underrated"?

Help and Let it Be, while good, are most definitely not as good as any of the others you mention.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Szyznyk posted:

Time to post something condescending referencing Neil Peart.

I know very little about rush, I know people like them a lot but I wasnt knocking any other drummers. The Beatles were around like 15 years before rush, so like an entire generation of drummers were influenced by Ringo Starr before rush came around. So I think the point still stands.

There weren't too terribly many standout rock drummers in the early sixties. Ringo Starr and Charlie watts, and I guess like mick avory were kinda it except for jazz drummers which played very differently imo. Late 60s there was a glut of good drummers though.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

What's your definition of "underrated"?

Help and Let it Be, while good, are most definitely not as good as any of the others you mention.

Exactly that? The others are all basically flawless and about as acclaimed as it gets, so the only other options are Help! and Let It Be.

Cosmik Debris posted:

I know very little about rush, I know people like them a lot but I wasnt knocking any other drummers. The Beatles were around like 15 years before rush, so like an entire generation of drummers were influenced by Ringo Starr before rush came around. So I think the point still stands.

There weren't too terribly many standout rock drummers in the early sixties. Ringo Starr and Charlie watts, and I guess like mick avory were kinda it except for jazz drummers which played very differently imo. Late 60s there was a glut of good drummers though.

Ringo, like all drummers, gets full credit for simply showing up on time, sober, and not quitting the band within 2 weeks.

Also poo poo like Come Together and The End are actually drumming genius.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

redshirt posted:

This is true.

I'd add music changed so much from 1960 - 1969 it's barely comprehensible. From the tail end of the 50s, doo wop innocent Light Crust Doughboys sound to the end of the 60s when music was well steeped in everything from all the great rock bands to straight up acid and prog rock, and while they technically were both released in 1970 both Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream had their first releases.

Ten years and we went from this (which owns and was very progressive for its day):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzA6gy2vbk

To Zeppelin's first album or whatever hard or experimental track you want to pick.

I know there were some pioneers doing stuff in the 50s but still the evolution is incredible.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Big rear end On Fire posted:

This is true.

I'd add music changed so much from 1960 - 1969 it's barely comprehensible. From the tail end of the 50s, doo wop innocent Light Crust Doughboys sound to the end of the 60s when music was well steeped in everything from all the great rock bands to straight up acid and prog rock, and while they technically were both released in 1970 both Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream had their first releases.

Ten years and we went from this (which owns and was very progressive for its day):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzA6gy2vbk

To Zeppelin's first album or whatever hard or experimental track you want to pick.

I know there were some pioneers doing stuff in the 50s but still the evolution is incredible.

part of the evolution was what record labels were willing to record once it became mainstream. like don't get me wrong, Led Zeppelin's version of You Need Love absolutely goes way harder and is a marked evolution, but the Muddy Waters's recorded version was very restrained compared to how it was (sometimes) played live. guys like Buddy Guy and Johnny Guitar Watson were shredding in the 50's and it was basically received like Marty McFly's "your kids will love it" bit

like would you believe this was 1954:
okay having been told that though you'd probably believe a reviewer in Billboard gave it "??" out of 100

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

like don't get me wrong, Led Zeppelin's version of You Need Love absolutely goes way harder and is a marked evolution, but the Muddy Waters's recorded version was very restrained compared to how it was (sometimes) played live.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but zep were apeing the small faces, they just came up with an ostinato riff but otherwise copied the small faces 1:1. They were notorious rip off artists like that. Robert plant was specifically hired because of how much he sounded like Steve Marriott, who turned down pages offer to sing for the new yardbirds aka Led Zeppelin, since he had just founded the amazing Humble Pie.

Listen to the whole song. The small faces slaps way harder than zeppelin in my opinion. It's mod, whereas zeppelins was hard rock, but for my money the small faces is harder than zeppelins which just sounds really polished to my ear (page, Bonham and Jones were all well established session musicians and producers) whereas small faces were scrappy mods who came up playing in bars and rave ups.

Page used to wear suits and had a dumb haircut and played on most British skiffle records of the early 1960s. He was super establishment by 1968.

Steve Marriott, on the other hand, was the real deal.

https://youtu.be/CRXbi3pq7Y4

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 24, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

wa27 posted:

It's Magical Mystery Tour

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Help!, it's the great Beatles jangle album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

"They're much more talented musicians than I thought. But they're also much worse poets."

My brother, after watching Get Back when he saw that their lyrics were just nonsense they made up on the spot.