Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

There are two ways that we can play through this section, both with different challenges but the results are the same no matter where you end up. I chose the prisoner route for the main playthrough as it's a lot more involved to set up

Bonus Video

I recorded the prisoner video this morning before work and the prison guard video a little while ago after I got home. It went smoothly for the most part until I had to start using my brain and then it started falling apart as I was trying to input some things. I'm tired and haven't fully recovered yet. It was nice to get back into the swing of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I remember getting the cell puzzles the first time I played through this and hating it. It's easy when you know what to do, but it took a bit before I realized you could take the bracket off of the wall and use it as a wrench in the other rooms, and each room is on a timer and it cycles between them, so when you get to each room again it was annoying trying to remember what I had tried in each cell.

And then I went the wrong way on the second playthrough and got the prison hallway puzzles, much easier to deal with as long as you can find the cameras.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:magical:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is most likely going to be the penultimate video for this LP as the next section is the last section of the game. In this video, Kent tracks down the booster station, rescues Dai and carries on being the only pro-active member of the group.

I've made a decision on what to LP after this game and it's another one that's been on the list for a while. It's also one that I've never completed for a variety of reasons. I'm going to do another test run this evening to see if it is actually viable.

Randalor posted:

I remember getting the cell puzzles the first time I played through this and hating it. It's easy when you know what to do, but it took a bit before I realized you could take the bracket off of the wall and use it as a wrench in the other rooms, and each room is on a timer and it cycles between them, so when you get to each room again it was annoying trying to remember what I had tried in each cell.

And then I went the wrong way on the second playthrough and got the prison hallway puzzles, much easier to deal with as long as you can find the cameras.

This section of the game definitely is not fun the first time around. There is extra dialogue with Saul but I really couldn't bear traversing through the metal capsule more than what was necessary.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

You can actually open that fridge in the den, by using the hammer on the blue box you found in the bollard. There is nothing useful inside though, just some food.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Rectus posted:

You can actually open that fridge in the den, by using the hammer on the blue box you found in the bollard. There is nothing useful inside though, just some food.

Thank you for letting me know. I was almost tempted to try it during the recording and now I wish that I at least attempted it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I keep forgetting how short and yet at the same time how long this game is. It's definitely much shorter when you know what to do in each area and the order to go to them when the path splits though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Normality. This section of the game is the part where I had the least amount of recall.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. This game was a lot of fun to revisit again and it still holds up pretty well today. I've been wanting to do an LP of The City Of Lost Children for a long time and I think that I'm finally ready to give it a try. This game was a great relief after the last few LPs which has helped with this decision.

Randalor posted:

I keep forgetting how short and yet at the same time how long this game is. It's definitely much shorter when you know what to do in each area and the order to go to them when the path splits though.

This is the thing with adventure games, if you know what you're doing you can burn through most of them within two to five hours depending on how much plot content there is. One of the things that I fell in love with adventure games growing up was everything off to the side of the main plot, exploring the game world and interacting with everything within it. It's one thing to have a good story and good characters, it's another to have a whole world built around it that you can spend hours losing yourself in while exploring it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

According to The Cutting Room Floor the alligator and the food in the HQ were parts of cut sidequests, and the alligator specifically was part of a segment where you play as Heather. Also, the concept art for Heather? She's rocking a lab coat blowing in the wind, which explains Kent's odd lines.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for the LP. A nice dip into the world of 2.5D adventure gaming. I can see why the Myst-style standard of point-and-click adventure games was more palatable for a first-person perspective.

I wonder how something like Shivers would have done with a format like this. In that game, you had to avoid monsters hiding in jars in certain screens, until you find the means to capture them. Unfortunately, capturing them requires you to find them on the screen, which can be hard because it's a 360-degree view. A 2.5D format would make it easier to evade monsters and perhaps detect them more easily. At any rate, I seriously despised Shivers and felt that the gameplay was incredibly unfair.

Normality feels a bit more like a LucasArts game (from the Monkey Island era, not previous entries like Zak) where failure seems harder to encounter although the puzzles could be fiendishly difficult.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I was constantly impressed by how Kent wasn't a Beavis and Butthead knock off. His look and the tone of the game give the impression he'd be some kind of sociopath like them, but he was actually a pretty decent guy (ignoring standard adventure game vices), especially given the world he was in.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, the Cory Feldman voice works changes the dialogue to be a bit more sociopathic, this version wasn't that bad. I also like this version of Paul better, the NA version has him sound borderline unhinged while this one is a much more calm and menacing voice.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the link, Randalor. They could have easily made Kent unbearable and maybe that was the original plan? The game seems like it was originally designed to be in an American setting but they made the decision to switch it England somewhere down the line. Was the American release changed to make it reflect the earlier writing? I haven't watched a playthrough of the American release but I may have too now.

I'm glad the Kent in this version was a likeable character. For an adventure game protagonist, especially in the 90s, he turned out to be one of the good ones.

I will be starting up a new LP soon, this one is just going to take a bit of preparation and research. I may be waffling on a fair bit and I need to work out what to waffle on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I remember getting stuck on the mint mall section as a kid, and figuring out you can shoplift from the junk store by pressing the M key and switching maps. It's almost pointless though, since you can't place the puppies once outside, and just made figuring out what you were supposed to do harder. It does let you get the fruit cutters out though.