Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Borrowing the OP from last year, it's predictions time! Despite some players like Tarasenko, Tatar, Dumba, and Patrick Kane not having contracts, teams seem like they've more or less set their rosters going into next season. So let's do predictions, and maybe for fun, we can include how wrong we were last year by visiting last year's thread. Format is below, and godspeed.

Format:

Atlantic

Metropolitan

Central

Pacific

Stanley Cup Finals

Awards
Hart Trophy:
Rocket Richard:
Art Ross:
Vezina:
Norris:
Calder:
Selke:
Lady Byng:
Jack Adams:
Presidents Trophy:

(add your own questions if you want)...
Who gets Celebrini?:
Most improved team:
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?:
First coach to be fired:
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East:
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West:
Where will Erik Karlsson wind up?
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points?
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible?
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Atlantic
1. Toronto
2. Boston
3. Tampa Bay
4. Florida (WC1)
5. Detroit
6. Buffalo
7. Montreal
8. Ottawa

Metropolitan
1. New Jersey
2. Carolina
3. Pittsburgh
4. NY Rangers (WC2)
5. NY Islanders
6. Washington
7. Columbus
8. Philadelphia

Central
1. Colorado
2. Dallas
3. Nashville
4. Minnesota
5. Winnipeg
6. St. Louis
7. Chicago
8. Arizona

Pacific
1. Edmonton
2. Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. Calgary
5. Seattle
6. Vancouver
7. Anaheim
8. San Jose

Stanley Cup Finals: New Jersey over Edmonton in 7

Awards
Hart Trophy: McDavid
Rocket Richard: McDavid
Art Ross: McDavid
Vezina: Saros
Norris: Makar
Calder: Bedard
Selke: Bergeron (I think he’s coming back)
Lady Byng: don’t care
Jack Adams: Brunette
Presidents Trophy: New Jersey

Who gets Celebrini?: Arizona
Most improved team: Nashville
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Ottawa (going from close to the playoffs last year to a cellar dweller)
First coach to be fired: DJ Smith
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Pittsburgh
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Los Angeles
Where will Erik Karlsson wind up? Pittsburgh
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? No
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Jarry
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Ullmark

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
My Predictions - based on the rosters mid July (subject to change of course with any further moves)

Atlantic
1. Florida
2. Toronto
3. Boston
4. Tampa Bay
5. Detroit
6. Ottawa
7. Buffalo
8. Montreal

Metropolitan
1. Carolina
2. NY Islanders
3. NY Rangers
4. Washington (WC1)
5. New Jersey (WC2)
6. Pittsburgh
7. Philadelphia
8. Columbus

Central
1. Dallas
2. Minnesota
3. Winnipeg
4. Colorado (WC1)
5. Nashville
6. St. Louis
7. Arizona
8. Chicago

Pacific
1. Edmonton
2. Seattle
3. Vegas
4. Calgary (WC2)
5. Vancouver
6. Los Angeles
7. San Jose
8. Anaheim

Stanley Cup Finals: Dallas beats the Leafs (lol)

Awards
Rocket Richard: Robertson
Vezina: Hellebuyck
Selke: Marner
Lady Byng: Point
Jack Adams: DeBoer
Presidents Trophy: Dallas

Who gets Celebrini?: Chicago (lol)
Most improved team: Detroit / Vancouver
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Tampa Bay / Los Angeles
First coach to be fired: McLellan
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Washington
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Minnesota / Vanocuver if they make it
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? No
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? I'm cheering for Elvis Merzlikins
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? wouldn't be surprised if Saros has a bad year now that the team is semi rebuilding

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 19, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Atlantic -- this is not going to be as top-heavy, as I think the top 3 from last year won't be as good and there should be some improvement from the bottom feeders
1. Toronto -- as usual, decent enough D and decent enough goaltending with a ton of offense, but they will still fall short when it counts because they lack depth and it's the Maple Leafs come on
2. Tampa Bay -- still have their elite players and not much of the roster has turned over from last year. I think they will have a good amount of injuries but still prove they're a threat
3. Boston -- they still are built from the goaltender and defense out and they're coached well. They will not score that many goals, but I still like their core even without Bergeron. They'll be a very top-heavy team
4. Ottawa (WC) -- I like them. Their metrics were quite good and their kids are starting to become real stars. Losing DeBrincat hurts the offensive depth, but their D with Chychrun for the whole season will be pretty nice. I think they will be in the thick of the WC race all season
5. Buffalo - I think Power will emerge as a top end D next season, but it feels like all of their young kids just had career years until proven otherwise and their goaltending is a complete shitshow unless Devon Leivi somehow is a good NHL starter straight out of college, which is almost impossible by NHL odds. They won't be bad, but they will take a disappointing small step back next year as teams will be on to them
6. Florida -- Panthers are going to score a lot but I don't really like their moves this off-season (their defense looks meh) and their goaltending is still a huge question mark despite Bob's playoffs revival. They will take a bit of a step back
7. Detroit -- I liked their off-season, but their roster still seems like a bunch of guys thrown together. Their kids need to take a step forward for them to be anything more than roughly what they were last year, maybe a bit better
8. Montreal -- They'll be kind of fun but they are still firmly in rebuild develop mode

Metropolitan -- another bloodbath year, any of the top 4 could be interchangeable
1. Carolina -- They're consistently a dominant team now and they didn't change much
2. New Jersey -- On one hand, teams know what to expect from them this year and will play them differently, but on the other, NJ will have Meier and Toffoli all season. Defense may not be quite as good unless Luke Hughes has a huge rookie year (quite possible) but they are a firewagon at both ends of the ice
3. Pittsburgh -- Pens are here either way because I think they'll bounce back from a low season, but I believe they will wind up with Erik Karlsson at some point and they're going to be annoying again as Cup contenders
4. NY Rangers (WC) -- I think the Rangers are hard to predict. If Lavy works on the kids, they will be around where they were last year in the regular season and be strong Cup contenders. I think Shesterkin will elevate his game again. But I can't help but feel like the Rangers' window is closing as their core offensive players get older and could disappoint a little
5. NY Islanders -- They made zero changes and that's not hyperbole. Zero aside from extending their own players. They'll have Horvat all year which is nice and they should be healthier than last year, so they will be good but not good enough, similar to last year
6. Washington -- They did a really nice job at the deadline and I think they will be a little better than they were last year. This is a really hard division, so they'll be 6th but still in the thick of the WC race, much like last year
7. Columbus -- Their prospects and young kids are sick and I could see them being a firewagon in 3 years. For now, I think without a historically bad season in terms of games lost to injuries and Fantilli in the fold, they will be a fun and fairly competitive team which fades in the second half
8. Philadelphia - LOL

Central -- Dallas and Colorado will duke it out all season for first and the rest of the division feels like a bunch of awkwardly mediocre teams
1. Colorado -- They had a terrific off-season and they're loving loaded. If their stars can stay healthy, they are probably Cup favorites again
2. Dallas -- They also had a terrific off-season. I'd like to see their defensive depth shore up but they have a lot of scoring and Oettinger is one of the best in the league
3. St. Louis -- I think they'll be a little better this year and wind up as the mediocre team which falls backwards into third place
4. Nashville -- Saros is a monster. They lost both Johansen and Duchene and they're not going to score much and Trotz seems to have a rebuild in mind
5. Winnipeg -- Sure, I guess? Depends on if Helly gets traded (I think he might at the deadline but not now). Jets lost firepower in Dubois but they still have decent depth and the goaltending to stay above water, but they're on the decline. If they trade Hellebuyck, they will be a bottom-8 team next year
6. Minnesota -- They have been good but not good enough for years now and they are still waiting for Rossi to hit and for Wallstedt to be an NHL starter. In the meantime, they are going to take a big step back. This not a great roster construction, I don't like their defense, I don't think Gustavsson is gonna be great again, and aside from Kaprizov their offense is very uninspiring
7. Chicago -- Chicago and Arizona could easily trade spots here, they will both be horrific, but Chicago has the benefit of Bedard and Arizona is the most aggressive "we want to suck forever and ever" team in the league
8. Arizona -- LOL

Pacific -- This could be an interesting division next year, it's hard to predict some of these teams
1. Edmonton -- They'll be in the Cup race again
2. Vegas -- I can't doubt them after last year when I thought "here comes the steady decline" and well they won the Cup. They should be very formidable again
3. Seattle -- I love the way they play. I don't think they'll be quite as good as last year with teams on to them now, but if they get league average goaltending somehow, they'll be right in the mix with Vegas for 2nd
4. Los Angeles (WC) -- Their goaltending is a massive question mark but they have a good solid roster outside of that. Brandt Clarke could make an immediate impact but Byfield has got to show up soon. Another good but not great season for LA
5. Calgary (WC) -- This depends on whether or not they firesale. As of now, they still have a pretty good roster and this is a division that will be closely contested like last year. Markstrom needs to bounce back but Calgary's metrics last year were really good (and their luck was laughably bad) so I think they'll balance out into the WC this time
6. San Jose -- I think the Sharks will be surprisingly better than people expect. Why? I have no idea, I just know the NHL can be unpredictable and the Sharks seem like a team that could bring up a lot of their kids this year and sneak up on some teams. They won't win very much, but they're not to be a total disaster, either
7. Vancouver -- They'll probably trade Miller at the deadline and continue their rebuild. They'll be bad and Pettersson will leave too after this year, as he should
8. Anaheim -- Anaheim, like Columbus, could be really good in a couple of years. Love their prospect pipeline and the current young kids in the NHL, but they're still rebuilding and developing and are going to, once again, give up a ton of goals

Stanley Cup Finals: Colorado over Pittsburgh

Awards
Vezina: Saros
Selke: Bergeron if he plays again, Crosby if he doesn't
Lady Byng: Hughes
Jack Adams: Cooper (by taking Tampa to near-first-place despite a lot of injuries)
Presidents Trophy: Colorado

Who gets Celebrini?: Arizona
Most improved team: Pittsburgh
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Minnesota
First coach to be fired: Dean Evason
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: There is no dark horse, every team that should make the playoffs has a legit chance to win it all aside from Ottawa
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: LA, especially if they pick up a goalie
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? No, 58-91-149
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly very good? Gibson
Which goalie who was very good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Gustavsson

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Atlantic
1. Boston
2. Toronto
3. Tampa
4. Florida
5. Buffalo
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa
8. Montreal

Metropolitan
1. NJ
2. Rangers
3. Carolina
4. Pittsburgh
5. Islanders
6.Washington
7. Columbus
8. Flyers

Central
1. Dallas
2. Colorado
3. Blues
4. Winnipeg
5. Nashville
6. Minnesota
7. Chicago
8. Arizona

Pacific
1. Edmonton
2. Vegas
3. Vancouver
4. Seattle
5. LA
6. Calgary
7. Anaheim
8. SJ

Stanley Cup Finals

Awards

Vezina: Shesterkin
Selke: Petterson
Lady Byng: some guy I’ve never heard of who plays through cancer
Jack Adams: no idea
Presidents Trophy: Edmonton

Who gets Celebrini?: Chicago..
Most improved team: Vancouver
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: LA
First coach to be fired: Torts (off ice)
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Penguins
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Seattle
Where will Erik Karlsson wind up? Sharks
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? Yes

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

7. Vancouver -- They'll probably trade Miller at the deadline and continue their rebuild. They'll be bad and Pettersson will leave too after this year, as he should

Miller's 7 year extension with a full NMC kicked in on July 1st. The window to trade him has closed, he'll be a canuck for the rest of eternity.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Miller's 7 year extension with a full NMC kicked in on July 1st. The window to trade him has closed, he'll be a canuck for the rest of eternity.

Oh wow, thanks for this. I didn't realize. I can always count on you for Canucks "no, actually" depression.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Oh wow, thanks for this. I didn't realize. I can always count on you for Canucks "no, actually" depression.

I am slightly incorrect, beginning in 2027 it remains a no move but the trade protection is only limited to fifteen teams. It's full no trade until then though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

I am slightly incorrect, beginning in 2027 it remains a no move but the trade protection is only limited to fifteen teams. It's full no trade until then though.

It's almost like the Canucks signed the contract knowing they would have to dump it within 4-5 years

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This maybe feels a bit early with some interesting signings and possibly trades to come, but here's what I've got right now

Atlantic
1. Toronto - Surprisingly effective offseason, maybe Matthews is finally healthy again and pops off.
2. Boston - Contingent on Bergeron coming back. I do think there's a slight potential for disaster here, but I can't fathom them falling too far at the moment.
3. Florida - That regular season luck should even out and get them comfortably in. Kind of thin though, so any major injury or goaltending making GBS threads the bed and they could maybe miss.
4. Tampa Bay (WC) - I dunno about them missing like Jfresh has, but their long stretches of poo poo play are worrisome.
5. Detroit - Really good offseason, but there's not a lot of top end after Seider/Larkin/DeBrincat. Definitely a darkhorse playoff contender though and I like them over Ottawa/Buffalo.
6. Ottawa - Such a bizarre team. There's a lot of talent there and occasionally they just run teams over. Don't trust them whatsoever but I could see them sneaking in.
7. Buffalo - Overperformed their fancies pretty heavily last season, but maybe there's enough natural youth progression to overcome that. I think 2024-2025 is more likely though (unless Levi is just nutty off the bat).
8. Montreal - Seems like the rebuild is going fine enough but they're clearly #8 here. Interesting year for Slafkovsky.

Metropolitan
1. Carolina - Best team in the league although their window may be closing soon.
2. New Jersey - A legitimate Cup contender, which still feels weird to say. Lots of competition though and the goaltending is still a big question mark. Interesting to see if Nemec gets in there.
3. New York Rangers - They need more progression from Kakko/Laf, but I think they'll get it. Would not be surprised to see them in the SCF.
4. Pittsburgh (WC) - I think they had a really solid offseason, and that their depth is considerably better. That being said, they missed the playoffs last year with a healthy Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Guentzel, and obviously those guys aren't getting any younger.
5. New York Islanders - Certainly capable of making it again, I just like the Pens a bit better. So much of their team rests on Sorokin.
6. Washington- I guess if you buy Backstrom/Wilson bouncing back they could make it, but that's a risky purchase.
7. Columbus - Should be significantly better, but there's just too much ground to make up this year. Love their team going forward though if like even half of their insane system pans out.
8. Philadelphia - Danny Big Bucks is doing it the right way, but the pain will continue in the short term.

Central
1. Dallas - Possibly the favorite in the West -- great top end, good depth, great goaltending.
2. Colorado - I feel like they're coming back with a vengeance this year, their top end is just so good.
3. Minnesota - Should be just a good hockey team again, but I don't see them beating Dallas/Colorado.
4. Winnipeg (WC) - Contingent on them keeping Hellebuyck, but the Dubois trade was a great one.
5. St. Louis - They're fine, I guess. Don't see playoffs though.
6. Nashville - They missed last year with a herculean season from Saros, and the roster in front of him is worse.
7. Arizona - After getting maybe the best player in the 2022 draft with Cooley, they seemingly bungled the poo poo out of 2023.
8. Chicago - Bedard can't make miracles happen.

Pacific
1. Edmonton - The best thing you can say about their playoff failures is that the league feels pretty open at the moment, particularly the West.
2. Vegas - Should be right there again. Maybe their castaway goaltending bites them in the rear end in the playoffs eventually.
3. Los Angeles - Don't love their offseason, I feel like they're being a little impatient. Big season for Byfield and can't wait to see what Clarke can do.
4. Seattle (WC) - Also didn't love their offseason, but they're still pretty good.
5. Calgary - Could easily sneak in if the entire team isn't playing like they want out.
6. Vancouver - A darkhorse playoff contender if there is one in the West. A big season out of Demko gets them close I think.
7. San Jose - I get them wanting max value for EK but they really need to put everything into the rebuild. Their system has gotten better but it's still pretty thin compared to other bottom feeders.
8. Anaheim - Carlsson over Fantilli was a hell of gamble. I think Carlsson will still be good, possibly great, but I wouldn't have made that choice.

Stanley Cup Finals
Carolina over Dallas in 6 games

Awards
Hart Trophy: Connor McDavid
Rocket Richard: Connor McDavid
Art Ross: Connor McDavid
Vezina: Igor Shesterkin
Norris: Cale Makar
Calder: Connor Bedard
Selke: Nico Hischier
Lady Byng: Jack Hughes
Jack Adams: Peter DeBoer
Presidents Trophy: Carolina

Who gets Celebrini?: Chicago (cursed universe)
Most improved team: Columbus
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Not sure I see a big faller. Maybe Boston if Bergeron doesn't come back.
First coach to be fired: Craig Berube
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Rangers I guess, but I don't see them as a dark horse.
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Don't see anyone outside the top 4 making noise.
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? No.
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Maybe Andersen behind that crazy team.
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Levi

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 20, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Atlantic
1. Toronto - No real big losses here this off season, and I like their healthy roster
2. Tampa - With Boston taking a step back, I think they're the most logical team to jump in the Atlantic standings. Tampa is still quite good and their core isn't that old.
3. Boston - Even if Bergeron doesn't end up coming back this is still a team that won 65 games. They took some big hits, but there's enough there to still comfortably make the playoffs
4. Florida (WC) - They were a top tier analytical team all season. Injuries and cup finals fatigue will prevent them from being a dominant team this year but I think they get back into the playoffs
5. Ottawa - I like their young core, but I don't like their coaching staff and don't think their UFA signings are enough to get them in.
6. Buffalo - Not really a great 5v5 team this past season, at least in terms of xgoals. They can score, but they've still got some building and progressing to do.
7. Detroit - I honestly like Detroit's off season, but someone has to be 7 here.
8. Montreal - They suck and I don't see a short term way out of that

Metropolitan
1. Carolina - Not much to say here. They're excellent and they should be a cup contender.
2. New Jersey - A loaded top six. Interested to see how Hughes holds up on defense and whether they feel the loss of Graves and Severson. But the forward group is too talented to not vault them to #2.
3. New York Rangers - They're hilariously old for a team that embarked on a rebuild just a few years ago. But Adam Fox + Shesterkin in their primes is still a nasty core, and their star forwards are still capable of putting up big seasons.
4. Pittsburgh Penguins (WC) - Hey speaking of old. If the Rangers are old the Pens are a retirement community. I think Dubas had a good off season and their bottom six and defense are much improved. If they're healthy that should be just enough to get them in. Would feel more comfortable about this prediction if they picked up EK 65.
5. New York Islanders - They'll just narrowly miss. Or just narrowly make it. Much like the Pens.
6. Washington Capitals - Everyone is counting them out but with a healthy Carlsson I wouldn't be totally shocked to see them get into the playoffs. But I think on paper they're the worst out of this trio that figures to compete for the last spot here.
7. Columbus Blue Jackets - They're on the upswing and they'll be a regular playoff team in a few years. Not there yet imo
8. Philadelphia Flyers - Dogshit garbage

Central
1. Colorado Avalanche - A great roster still and if Makar plays most of the season I see them taking the division
2. Dallas Stars - Great off season. Just narrowly beaten by Colorado for the top spot in this divison.
3. Minnesota Wild - Should be the third best team here.
4. Winnipeg Jets (WC) - I had to put someone here and they haven't moved out Hellebyuck yet. The rest of this division is just so bad. Someone has to make it.
5. Nashville Predators - Saaros tries to hulk them into a playoff spot but can't quite.
6. St. Louis Blues - They're in that weird spot right now where they need to figure out if they're a rebuilding team or first round fodder
7. Arizona Coyotes - They'll be bad. They need to make sure Cooley will actually play for them. He's gonna be great, and it'd be hosed up if he snubbed them.
8. Chicago Blackhawks - Bedard will light it up but this is a tremendously bad roster still. Maybe they can do better than Arizona but hard to see them climbing much higher than that. Remember the 05-06 Penguins? This roster seems as bad or worse.

Pacific
1. Edmonton Oilers - McDavid is reaching heights that we haven't seen since like Lemieux/Gretzky. He's insanely good. Whose to say he doesn't take even one more step this year? This team is hungry as gently caress for a cup.
2. Los Angeles Kings - They've got a good roster and I think Vegas will suffer a bit from the usual Cup hangover
3. Vegas Golden Knights - They'll be good and a comfortable playoff team, but cup hangover etc
4. Seattle Kraken (WC)- See no good reason why they can't be a playoff team again. Solid roster
5. Calgary Flames - Should compete for a spot but I like Seattle better
6. Vancouver Canucks - Sorry Canucks fans. This team is stuck in that awful middle of not quite being good but not quite being terrible.
7. Anaheim Ducks - With San Jose likely moving Karlsson and not having Meier, Anaheim seems poised to pass them
8. San Jose Sharks - They will be dire without EK and Meier.

Stanley Cup Finals - Edmonton def Toronto

Awards
Selke: Mitch Marner
Lady Byng: Jack Hughes
Jack Adams: Jay Woodcroft
Presidents Trophy: Edmonton Oilers

Who gets Celebrini?: San Jose
Most improved team: Uh this is hard because I don't have a ton of standings variance in mine relative to this past season. Pittsburgh?
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: I guess you could say Boston relative to being a 65 win team but I still have them in the playoffs
First coach to be fired: Luke Richardson
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Pittsburgh I guess, but only because I think anyone else in the playoffs could realistically go far and nobody would be surprised.
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Seattle
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? I dunno I'll go with the Kings duo. Copley/Talbot
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? I dunno. Based on my standings, nobody

My predictions are a little boring. I don't see much change happening in the standings though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Here's my prediction: the Blues are going to be bad enough to miss the playoffs but not bad enough to meaningful improve the team 2-3 years from now

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Awards
Hart Trophy: Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson
Rocket Richard: Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson
Art Ross: Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson
Vezina: N/A
Norris: Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson
Calder: Hopefully Not Bedard
Selke: N/A
Lady Byng: Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson
Jack Adams: Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson
Presidents Trophy: Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson's team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are the books even offering lines on the Calder or is it so obviously Bedard it's not even on the board

e: it's a fun fact that Crosby did not win the Calder, because Ovechkin. No one remotely on that level to challenge Bedard this year though.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are the books even offering lines on the Calder or is it so obviously Bedard it's not even on the board

e: it's a fun fact that Crosby did not win the Calder, because Ovechkin. No one remotely on that level to challenge Bedard this year though.

Logan Cooley is likely to be an excellent talent for Arizona if he signs up with them for the season and could very well challenge Bedard for the point total but unlikely to actually take the Calder from him given where he plays lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Logan Cooley is likely to be an excellent talent for Arizona if he signs up with them for the season and could very well challenge Bedard for the point total but unlikely to actually take the Calder from him given where he plays lol

Luke Hughes and Brandt Clarke should also be in the conversation but it's very much Bedard’s to lose. Maybe he'll continue the generational prospect tradition and not actually win the Calder for some reason. Gretzky was ineligible, Lindros finished 4th, Ovi beat Sid and McDavid got hurt. Only Mario bucked the trend.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 27, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

1992-93 was a loving crazy year in many ways, the rookie class one of them

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Someone could break his collarbone and then he doesn't win ask me how i know that its possible.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
But Ovi is better than Sid.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

That's certainly up for debate now, but in terms of them as prospects Sid was a much bigger deal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So Bergeron didn't come back. Not sure it changes my prediction that much. Maybe I'd swap Boston and Florida but I don't believe Boston drops out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Kite posted:

It's kind of an interesting discussion. From 05-06 to 09-10 when Ovechkin was at the height of his powers you probably would take him over Sid. Sid did have his 19 year old season where he crushed Ovechkin in points but aside from that one Ovechkin was I think better the other 4 out of 5 years.

I think that Sid has been generally the better player from 09-10 onwards. So I guess it depends on how much you value prime versus longevity. Obviously Ovechkin has had great longevity too and Sid also had a great prime.

But for me Ovechkin from 05-6 to 09-10 was an outrageously good hockey player, and I'd rank the work he did in those years up with anything that Sid has done. So if we're talking each player at his peak, it's a legit debate imo. It's too bad that Sid took eighty concussions because I think he may have put up a similarly absurd prime from 09-10 to 13-14. In particular 10-11 was peak Sid and it's a damned shame he didn't finish that season out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sid also just had the 6th best points scoring season by a 35 year old ever with 93, so I don't really question his longevity either. Gretzky only had 102 at the same age. We just got used to Crosby just being a flawless hockey robot (with an Achilles brain).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Sid also just had the 6th best points scoring season by a 35 year old ever with 93, so I don't really question his longevity either. Gretzky only had 102 at the same age. We just got used to Crosby just being a flawless hockey robot (with an Achilles brain).

I kinda wrote that clumsily but what I meant to say was both had great primes and longevity. And if someone were to argue one over the other I could see compelling reasons to do so even as a Sid fan boy.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Low-key, I think Crosby is going to have an incredible year. Like, Hart finalist type of year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Atlantic
1. Toronto - They kept the core intact and added depth, I think they finally win the division (Canadian div doesn't count).
2. Boston - I discounted them heavily last year so I'm just gonna assume they'll be good again
3. Florida - Likely not a bubble team but they're starting to atrophy depth
4. Tampa (WC1) - Still good and I just refuse to accept they'll be out of the playoffs until proven otherwise
5. Detroit - I think will surprise and just miss but still a year away from the playoffs.
6. Buffalo - Levi is not ready to be a starter and they scramble into a bad trade for one after a slow start
7. Ottawa - As the latest young team on the rise, they're either going to be the Canucks of 2021 or the Devils of last year. No in-between. I say the former because this is Canada.
8. Montreal - Very bad

Metropolitan
1. New York Rangers - A good team that has consistently underwhelmed I think they put it together this year and win the division.
2. Carolina - Consistently not quite good enough
3. New Jersey - Good but probably not as good as last year now folks see them as a contender. I see this season being a harsh lesson in humility.
4. Pittsburgh (WC2) - Karlsson plays under 60 games but they still scrape their way back to the playoffs. They still go nowhere.
5. Philadelphia - One of those zero expectation teams where someone like Noah Cates is gonna put up 65+ points for no reason.
6. Washington - Bad but hey it's not about winning it's about making Wayner sad.
7. New York Islanders - The oldest team meets father time.
8. Columbus - Bad and always will be.

Central
1. Colorado - I guess? This division stinks.
2. Winnipeg - Why not? They're old but at least Wheeler leaving makes it a little cheerier to play there.
3. St. Louis - Likely not going to be a recurring threat but they've got a 100pt season and a 2nd round exit in em.
4. Minnesota - Never bet on Minnesota to do anything.
5. Arizona - Another low expectation team that's starting to go with the youth movement. If nothing else they should be fun and get some traction on instagram reels.
6. Dallas - I feel like they're gonna nosedive but they're genuinely no reason why I think that. The component parts are all there but I sense it's gonna be a weird season for them.
7. Chicago - generational talents get exactly one terrible year before exploding. Bedard easily wins the Calder.
8. Nashville - They should've started the rebuild properly over the summer but this year will at least force them into one.

Pacific
1. Edmonton - I hate to say it but likely the best team in the West and probably the NHL this year.
2. Los Angeles - Very boring and forgettable.
3. Vegas - Seems like an inevitable cup hangover year but I'm sure they don't care. They'll turn it on after February.
4. Calgary (WC1) - Last year made no sense they're better than that. Not much, but better.
5. Seattle (WC2) - Also not a very good team but still probably borderline in the playoffs. It'll be tight between them and Vancouver but they take it I think.
6. Vancouver - They'll start slow again, mark my words. I see them hanging around the playoff bubble but falling 2-3 points short. This is the most optimistic I can be.
7. Anaheim - Why does Zegras not have a contract? What are they doing?
8. San Jose - At least the seem to recognize they'll be bad and are doing a tear down rebuild.

Stanley Cup Finals: Edmonton v. NY Rangers - Oilers in 5

Awards
Hart Trophy: McDavid (duh)
Norris: Josi
Selke: Marner
Lady Byng: Marner
Jack Adams: Rick Bowness

Who gets Celebrini?: Whoever picks 2nd, Eiserman goes 1st to San Jose
Most improved team: Winnipeg by points, overall LAK.
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Dallas but as I said IDK why
First coach to be fired: DJ Smith
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Boston (if they count)
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Calgary
Where will Erik Karlsson wind up? Pittsburgh boy I'm a genius
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? No roughly 130-140
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Alexander Georgiev
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Jake Oettinger

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
How do you see the Blues gaining 20 points over last season?

Kings goaltending will fail them. They will miss playoffs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

How do you see the Blues gaining 20 points over last season?

Binnington is almost certainly not going to be anywhere near as bad as he was and Kyrou/Thomas have another level IMO. Plus they traded some bad defencemen. I think they'll just be better by committee and in general this sport is very random.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

ThinkTank posted:

Binnington is almost certainly not going to be anywhere near as bad as he was and Kyrou/Thomas have another level IMO. Plus they traded some bad defencemen. I think they'll just be better by committee and in general this sport is very random.

??

The defense is basically exactly the same and Binnington will probably play just as poorly. The only wildcard is if Joel Hofer takes over, but I doubt it. They're an 8th/9th tweener team at best until the anchor defense contracts are up

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone's got to finish third in that division.

The reason ThinkTank couldn't put his finger on why he expects Dallas to nosedive is Pete DeBoer is coaching them. But that would be slightly ahead of schedule--the patented DeBoer Nosedive is traditionally in Year Three.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

??

The defense is basically exactly the same and Binnington will probably play just as poorly.

Why did I have it in my head they'd traded Colton Parayko to the Capitals?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I did incredibly last year, of course.

Atlantic
1. Carolina Hurricanes
2. New Jersey Devils
3. New York Rangers
4. Pittsburgh Penguins
5. New York Islanders
6. Washington Capitals
7. Columbus Blue Jackets
8. Philadelphia Flyers

Metropolitan
1. Boston Bruins
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
3. Florida Panthers
4. Tampa Bay Lightning
5. Ottawa Senators
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Detroit Red Wings
8. Montreal Canadiens

Central
1. Dallas Stars
2. Minnesota Wild
3. Colorado Avalanche
4. Nashville Predators
5. Winnipeg Jets
6. St. Louis Blues
7. Arizona Coyotes
8. Chicago Blackhawks

Pacific
1. Vegas Golden Knights
2. Edmonton Oilers
3. Los Angeles Kings
4. Seattle Kraken
5. Vancouver Canucks
6. Calgary Flames
7. San Jose Sharks
8. Anaheim Ducks

Stanley Cup Finals: New York Rangers over Dallas Stars, 6 games (The Lundq/kvist Bowl)

Awards
Selke: Nico Hischier
Lady Byng: Jason Robertson
Jack Adams: Pete DeBoer
Presidents Trophy: Dallas Stars

Who gets Celebrini?: St. Louis
Most improved team: Pittsburgh
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Jets closest to this
First coach to be fired: Craig Berube
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Tampa (inasmuch as I think they'll be the 8th seed)
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Minnesota
Where will Erik Karlsson wind up?: Around 82 points
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points?: Yes, 160
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Filip Gustavsson (but I kinda think he's already pretty good)
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Hellebuyck (until he gets traded and plays better)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Atlantic
1. Toronto
2. Boston
3. Ottawa
4. Buffalo
5. Tampa Bay
6. Florida
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

Metropolitan
1. New Jersey
2. Carolina
3. Rangers
4. Penguins WC1
5. Columbus WC2
6. Washington
7. Islanders
8. Philadelphia

Central
1. Colorado
2. Dallas
3. Minnesota
4. Nashville WC2
5. St. Louis
6. Winnipeg
7. Arizona
8. Chicago

Pacific
1. Edmonton
2. Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. Calgary WC1
5. Seattle
6. Vancouver
7. Anaheim
8. San Jose

Stanley Cup Finals: Oilers overs Leafs in 5

Awards
Vezina: Jack Campbell
Norris: Evan Bouchard
Selke: Aho
Lady Byng: Petterson
Jack Adams: Woodcroft
Presidents Trophy: Oilers baby

Who gets Celebrini?: Montreal
Most improved team: Ottawa
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Florida (too injured to start the year and their goalering is woof)
First coach to be fired: Bowness
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Pittsburgh
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Minny
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Jack Campbell!!!
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Samsonov

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Atlantic
1. Toronto
2. Tampa Bay
3. Boston
4. Florida (WC2)
5. Buffalo
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa
8. Montreal

Metropolitan
1. Carolina
2. NY Rangers
3. New Jersey
4. NY Islanders (WC1)
5. Pittsburgh
6. Washington
7. Philadelphia
8. Columbus

Central
1. Dallas
2. Minnesota
3. Colorado
4. St.Louis
5. Nashville
6. Arizona
7. Winnipeg
8. Chicago

Pacific
1. Edmonton
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. Seattle (WC1)
5. Calgary (WC2)
6. Vancouver
7. Anaheim
8. San Jose

Stanley Cup Finals: Rangers over Oilers

Awards
McDavid will win everything available this year, Bedard will win the Calder

Who gets Celebrini?: San Jose
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Ottawa
First coach to be fired: whoever Babcock's replacement is
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? Yep
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Vladar
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Saros

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Atlantic
1. Toronto
2. Boston
3. Tampa
4. Florida (WC2)
5. Buffalo
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

Metropolitan
1. NY Rangers
2. New Jersey
3. Carolina
4. Pittsburgh (WC1)
5. Washington
6. NY Islanders
7. Philadelphia
8. Columbus

Central
1. Colorado
2. Dallas
3. Minnesota
4. Winnipeg
5. Nashville
6. St. Louis
7. Arizona
8. Chicago

Pacific
1. Edmonton
2. Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. Seattle (WC1)
5. Calgary (WC2)
6. Vancouver
7. Anaheim
8. San Jose

Stanley Cup Finals
Rangers defeat Oilers in 6

Awards
Rocket Richard: Matthews
Norris: Fox
Selke: Barkov
Lady Byng: Zibanejad
Jack Adams: Jack Hughes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ATLANTIC
1. Maple Leafs
2. Lightning
3. Panthers
4. Bruins (WC1)
5. Red Wings
6. Canadiens
7. Sabres
8. Senators

METRO
1. Hurricanes
2. NY Rangers
3. Devils
4. Capitals (WC2)
5. Penguins
6. Blue Jackets
7. Islanders
8. Flyers

CENTRAL
1. Avalanche
2. Wild
3. Stars
4. Blues (WC1)
5. Jets (WC2)
6. Predators
7. Blackhawks
8. Coyotes

PACIFIC
1. Knights
2. Oilers
3. Kings
4. Flames
5. Canucks
6. Kraken
7. Sharks
8. Ducks

Stanley Cup Finals
Lightning defeat Kings in 6

Awards
Vezina: Vasilevskiy
Norris: Fox
Selke: Barkov
Lady Byng: Hughes
Jack Adams: Sheldon Keefe
Presidents Trophy: Maple Leafs

Who gets Celebrini?: Blackhawks
Most improved team: Red Wings
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Kraken
First coach to be fired: Lane Lambert (bonus prediction: Hakstol will be fired during or immediately after the season)
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Uh the Bruins I guess?
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Kings
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? MAF. I want to believe~
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Saros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I only have time to make one prediction:

Metropolitan
8. Hurricanes - These dorks are finished. Middle of the pack scoring and their best weapon is coming off reconstructive knee surgery. Too many oddballs on the team they'll fold once things start going even slightly bad. Squint at this team and they look like the Islanders with much worse goaltending. Tortorella will hate his team enough to get the Flyers out of the cellar.