Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo did they come back to show Athena laid out Willow after showing her respect!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
gently caress me, I'm so worked by the last two matches.

But I guess if you're really gonna push Willow, getting locked in the RoH Zone is counterproductive. But also, get Athena out of the RoH Zone.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Back to pushing my Athena vs. Shida agenda

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

Okay you talked me into it.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Pylons posted:

I'm listening

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I get the world title postmatch in a vacuum, but they had a PERFECT setup for BCC vs. DT, and then they shoehorned Best Friends into it. Also it's increasingly looking to me like all the character work they bothered to do during Blood and Guts will amount to absolutely nothing.

And that main event was just flat out a wasted opportunity.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
scrum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdYgd30trA

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And that main event was just flat out a wasted opportunity.

i'll say this: it's less of a blow knowing willow just came off a big (if unplanned) title run, and i think they can make good on it by pushing willow more in aew through the end of the year. i guess since athena beat up willow more after the initial off-air they might be doing a rematch... and willow could do one hell of a fight without honor if they go that route

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I’m going to watch this properly in the morning. But I just checked Twitter when I woke up in the night and saw this:

https://twitter.com/p__wrestling/status/1682564344150630400?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

It’s a good show

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

:hayter:

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

abraham linksys posted:

scrum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdYgd30trA

i'll say this: it's less of a blow knowing willow just came off a big (if unplanned) title run, and i think they can make good on it by pushing willow more in aew through the end of the year. i guess since athena beat up willow more after the initial off-air they might be doing a rematch... and willow could do one hell of a fight without honor if they go that route

Gotta skip the scrum for now to catch up with Rampage

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LMFAO I love this so much.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
I'm watching rampage and just realised that them announcing Swerve v Darby has spoiled the royal rampage. Unless it hasn't, because the match isn't over yet

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look at this beautiful thing!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Kennel posted:

Was that the best PPV women's match in Tonyverse?

They've had some great tv matches, but PPVs haven't often been super good

Shida and Riho had some pretty drat good PPV matches

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1682601771276046337

(if it doesn't embed because Twitter is garbage): Shibata to Tony Khan via translation at the scrum: "Thank you Tony for reviving me as a wrestler. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

as it turns out, based on the results, they're going to receive both death and dishonor in roh and aew.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

i did not get to see weekly font and have a meet up of 4/5ths of the original punchsport podcast episode, a true failure on my part

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

show loving rocked btw despite me probably looking like i am going to die on hard camera for like the entire show bc i stuffed myself full of cheesesteak beforehand.

Section 1 was one of the most obnoxious groups of fans I've ever seen at an ROH show also. They never stopped lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

show loving rocked btw despite me probably looking like i am going to die on hard camera for like the entire show bc i stuffed myself full of cheesesteak beforehand.

Section 1 was one of the most obnoxious groups of fans I've ever seen at an ROH show also. They never stopped lmao

Those were the dudes chanting their section name during the show? Yeah, that was annoying!

It was a great show, hope you had a good time and better cheesesteak!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The thing that made it insufferable is they seemed to get the hint during the pure title match when they weren't being acknowledged at all but then the arena security guard who was sitting by them was rallying them to do it more bc he thought it was hilarious.

I really liked the venue though. It was very easy to park in and the seats were very comfortable!

and let it be known that "Meatheadz Cheesesteaks" makes a loving ridiculous(ly delicious) sandwich.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 22, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:perfect:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

gently caress me, I'm so worked by the last two matches.

But I guess if you're really gonna push Willow, getting locked in the RoH Zone is counterproductive. But also, get Athena out of the RoH Zone.

Please don't, Athena has been doing incredible work as the ace of ROH.

Great show. I wanted Willow to win, I thought she'd win when this was announced as the main event, then walking into the show I thought "Athena has only held the title since December and it feels like there is alot of life left in this. Definitely would have been a great night for a title change, but that finish was so good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tony khan removed shibata's heart and put it back in.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Please don't, Athena has been doing incredible work as the ace of ROH.

Great show. I wanted Willow to win, I thought she'd win when this was announced as the main event, then walking into the show I thought "Athena has only held the title since December and it feels like there is alot of life left in this. Definitely would have been a great night for a title change, but that finish was so good.

Im rly glad you guys had fun at robert smiths arena wish i coulda been there

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Garcia using the dance as a hulk up is one of the greatest things in wrestling.

Also as much as I love willow, I think athena has a lot more gas in her psychopath champion gimmick getting increasingly more unhinged as the matches get closer and closer. Like I think we can get good poo poo out of athena til atleast december then let willow take it.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 22, 2023

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pylons posted:

:hmmyes:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Just finished the show, some quick thoughts:

- The first three Zero Hour matches were fine but Fox/Strickland was really drat good, I'd be happy with either man being TV champion in the near future.

- Gravity/Komander served as a neat showcase for both men's skills, a couple of the spots were sloppy or took too long to develop but this was otherwise an exciting way to open the show. Surprised by the Gravity win, that and the fact that he's facing PAC on Wednesday suggests that there might be plans in place to use him further.

- Joe/Dalton was fun thanks mostly to the shenanigans with The Boys and Stokely working his magic as the sniveling, bullied authority figure. He's been a delightful addition to ROH and I'm excited to see him continue to do his thing.

- The tag title match was as insane as a spotfest can get without there being ladders involved, I was stunned at how long they sustained that incredible pace. I'm a little bummed that the Lucha Bros went 112 days without a successful defense but presumably something unexpected happened that kept them from being booked. Aussie Open is more than worthy as their successor, however, I'm looking forward to them having a strong run with the belts and showing those unfamiliar with their work just how great they are.

- Taguchi and Ruffin stood out in the six-man, everybody involved was working hard but those two were clearly the MVPs of the bout. Delighted that they're teasing more Big Bill & Cage and curious to see how they'll get there.

- Garcia dancing down into the cross-legged position was inspired, it's been wonderful to see him evolve since his debut into the charismatic dynamo he is today. Loved not only that there were sequences which portrayed the men as equals but that said segments were completely believable, another indication of how far he's come. A little surprised that Shibata won, I thought he'd be a transitional champ but I love him too so no complaints there.

- Speaking of surprises, I had no idea the Fight Without Honor would get as brutal as it did. Makes sense in retrospect, though, since the whole angle was about Stu urging the DO to return to their violent roots. Impressed not only by the variety of weaponry that appeared but the inventiveness with which it was used, and of course I was tickled by the crowd popping harder for the LEGOs than anything else. Great, great match. Give DO the ROH six-man belts, they deserve them after this.

- PAC/Claudio was unsurprisingly terrific, it's so good to have the bridge troll back and I can't wait to see what's next for him. Everything was just brilliantly executed and I loved the amount of insane reversals they busted out. I'm with those who felt the ending was a bit weak but no complaints otherwise, and the silver lining with DT reuniting (and the potential feuds with Best Friends and BCC) more than made up for it.

- I'm so happy Willow/Athena got to be the first women to main event an ROH PPV, the honor is absolutely deserved after the incredible year they've had. Both seemed to realize the importance of the evening if the multitude of callbacks were any indication, each one only adding to the big fight feel of the match. Athena displayed some remarkable feats of strength and did a masterful job of displaying how desperate she was to keep the belt. Willow played her role perfectly as well, the crowd was eating out of the palm of her hand by the end. I'm stunned that Athena won, the time seemed right for her to drop the belt but if nothing else it was great to see the show of respect towards Willow after the match (though it seemed like they screwed up the timing of the show going off the air as a few seconds later the feed came back on just long enough to display Willow laying in the middle of the mat, presumably having been laid out by Athena).

Fantastic show. I've been a little cool on ROH as of late but this brought back my enthusiasm and then some, I have more anticipation for the next episode than I have in quite a while.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1682786991203659778

Shockingly good Brian Cage promo

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I liked the pape but felt pretty deflated by Joe and Athena retaining. Both of them are running out of opponents and in Athena's case, it absolutely felt like the right time to drop the belt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

idk it looks like they're pretty clearly setting up leyla as athena's next main challenger

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

I liked the pape but felt pretty deflated by Joe and Athena retaining. Both of them are running out of opponents and in Athena's case, it absolutely felt like the right time to drop the belt.

Easy fix for Athena put a Joshi wrestler up against her every week.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Majinfoose posted:

I miss Waves & Curls :( RIP DARK

yeah rip :(

cd had to cover his mouth half the time trying not to laugh

what a fantastic show

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/TrishAdora202/status/1683553319804076039

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I know people wanted Willow, but retaining in a PPV main event tells me that rather than putting Claudio at the top, or having ROH be a stepping stone to AEW Women's or TBS, they're making Athena the overall ace of ROH, and that kicks so much rear end.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bonk posted:

I know people wanted Willow, but retaining in a PPV main event tells me that rather than putting Claudio at the top, or having ROH be a stepping stone to AEW Women's or TBS, they're making Athena the overall ace of ROH, and that kicks so much rear end.

100% agreed. She's the face of ROH and not only does that own but it so clearly means a lot to her. Let her cook.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Is there a name for Athena's GTS variation? It rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/allisondanger/status/1683983880544743424