Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not songs you hate, this thread is for posting your favourite terrible song. Songs you like but which you either acknowledge are actually terrible or know that most people don't like.

I'll start with the one I posted about in that other thread linked above: Sk8er Boi

Right from the opening lines you know that this song is going to be dumb:
    He was a boy
    She was a girl
    Can I make it any more obvious?
    He was a punk
    She did ballet
    What more can I say?
That alone makes me laugh. but then it starts getting good:
    He wanted her
    She'd never tell
    Secretly she wanted him as well
How does Avril know? She's not singing as an omniscient narrator. She's singing from the perspective of one of the characters in the song - this becomes clear later but it's relevant now. She's making this up!

Now we jump ahead a bit to the best part.
    Five years from now
    She sits at home
    Feeding the baby, she's all alone
We already know she's imagining that the ballet girl secretly wanted the sk8er boi, but now she's also making up an entire future history in which the ballet girl is a sad, lonely, single mother - and then when she calls all of her friends they've all gone ahead and bought tickets to a concert without her.

But the best thing about this imaginary future is that, in it, sk8er boi still isn't over the girl who wouldn't go out with him in highschool!
    I'll be at a studio
    Singing the song we wrote
    About a girl you used to know
This is all happening inside Avril's character's head, but she can't imagine a future in which her new boyfriend is not still hung up on ballet girl (to the extent that they just wrote a song about that other girl he'd prefer to be dating), even though they'd have been together for five years by this point! :haw:

So anyway, what bad songs do you like and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqE9B1_9TpQ

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

So anyway, what bad songs do you like and why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

quote:

I was lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week
Indulging in my self-defeat
My mind was thugged all laced and bugged all twisted wrong and beat
Uncomfortable in three feet deep
Now the fuzzy stare from not being there on a confusing morning week
Impaired my tribal lunar-speak
And of course you can't become if you only say what you would have done
So I missed a million miles of fun

I know it's up for me
If you steal my sunshine
Making sure I'm not in too deep
If you steal my sunshine
Keeping versed and on my feet
If you steal my sunshine

I was frying on the bench slide in the park across the street

L-a-t-e-r that week
My sticky paws were in to making straws out of big fat slurpy treats
An incredible eight foot heap
Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat
Involved an under usual feat
And I'm not only among but I invite who I want to come
So I missed a million miles of fun
that's why

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

get a mod to fix your terrible thread name tiggum

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I also love this song. "Well, does he like butter tarts?"

Gravid Topiary posted:

get a mod to fix your terrible thread name tiggum
OK. What should it be changed to?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

thank u mystery mod

nearly 20 years ago the musical group My Barbarian ruminated on archetypal forms in genre fantasy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjrVg7eRHrc

quote:

Our band could be your life
Real names'd be proof
Me and Mike Watt, we played for years
Punk rock changed our lives
no wait

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I also love this song. "Well, does he like butter tarts?"

yeah the spoken-word component is vital to this song yet you only ever seem to hear the radio edit. "uh, she looks pretty, uh, down,"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvsR9nfgWc

I know about this thanks to Todd in the Shadows mentioning it in one of his videos. "You're being a penis....colada, that is". It works in a weird sort of way.

e: The entirety of Ringo Starr's 1977 foray into disco, Ringo the 4th. There are several songs where Ringo sounds sloshed. It's not a great album at all but I have a "so bad it's good" fascination with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Jul 29, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvsR9nfgWc

I know about this thanks to Todd in the Shadows mentioning it in one of his videos. "You're being a penis....colada, that is". It works in a weird sort of way.
This is bad, but fascinating. I don't want to listen to it ever again, but I would like to hear the author's thoughts. What was the intent? Were people supposed to like this, or is it intentionally bad as some kind of statement? What does "peenyis colada" mean? What are we supposed to understand from that phrase? Both the pronunciation and the combination of words seem deliberately meaningless, but why?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tiggum posted:

What does "peenyis colada" mean? What are we supposed to understand from that phrase? Both the pronunciation and the combination of words seem deliberately meaningless, but why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zROIlspgOjM

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think that explains anything? I know what a pina colada is. I know that song. It doesn't make sense of the line in U Hate It.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

This is bad, but fascinating. I don't want to listen to it ever again, but I would like to hear the author's thoughts. What was the intent? Were people supposed to like this, or is it intentionally bad as some kind of statement? What does "peenyis colada" mean? What are we supposed to understand from that phrase? Both the pronunciation and the combination of words seem deliberately meaningless, but why?

I had to look at the Wikipedia page to refresh my memory. Liz Phair wanted to move away from the alt-pop stuff she had been doing in the '90s, so she apparently went to the wall with her managers and record company to release an album (Funstyle) of more experimental stuff. Someone evidently didn't like her work and this song was dedicated to that person. Personally, I think "peenyis colada" is hilariously stupid, but maybe that's just my peculiar sense of humor.

e: I also like Disco Duck, even though it's a loving stupid song.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jul 31, 2023

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tiggum posted:

I don't think that explains anything? I know what a pina colada is. I know that song. It doesn't make sense of the line in U Hate It.

When the song first came out, people deliberately mispronounced it that way.

That's all I got.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Jul 31, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

e: I also like Disco Duck, even though it's a loving stupid song.

Stupid songs are their own charm.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Starship's We Built This City. The lyrics are terrible: "Marconi plays the mamb[a][/b]." It is far, far from being the worst #1 ever.

Silver Convention's "Get Up and Boogie." It's a joy. The entire lyrics are "Get up and boogie" and "That's right." Perhaps my favorite disco song because the studio version is infectiously happy.

Paper Lace's "The Night Chicago Died." Maybe I'm impressed with the sheer stupidy of it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"Obviously" by McFly is the dumbest, sappiest song of all time, and I love it so much. The lyrics are poo poo and it is the epitome of stereotypical boy band nonsense, but I like it enough for it to be on my "songs of all genres that are my jam" Spotify playlist AND my "pleasures that I'm not guilty about" one, because I never don't want to hear it. The sappy rear end chorus:

quote:

'Cause obviously,
She's out of my league
I'm hopin' and wishin'
She's draggin' me in and now
I know I never will be good enough for her

:cripes:

"I Will Come to You" by Hanson was a song I already liked, but it's also the first song I ever sang for karaoke, so it also has a special place in my heart. :allears: Just vapid cheesy saccharine corniness with lyrics so bad I can't even think of a highlight. They're all just bleh.

:hmmyes:

edit: I just want to also add that this thread title is very misleading.

edit2: I will also quote myself here, from the Songs You Hate thread

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know why I like "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons -- it's catchy, has a fun tune kind of reminiscent of (or stolen from, who knows) "Send My Love (To Your Lover) " by Adele which I also like, I just like it, I don't know. :shrug: Why is it so much easier to explain why I DON'T like a song?

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Aug 20, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: I just want to also add that this thread title is very misleading.
Suggest a better one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

Suggest a better one.

I don't know, it's just that the "admire from a distance" feels kind of...like you're finding the goodness in terrible songs on an objective level, sort of? Like, appreciating the talent of the performers or the production quality or something. It's entirely possible that my reading comprehension is just poo poo.

But yeah, without saying "guilty pleasure" outright, maybe I'd have named it something like "Songs you know are awful but love anyway"? Really it's the "admire from a distance" part that's the vaguest part.