Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Extra Large Marge posted:

As a kid I was at a friend's house playing "Zelda". He picked up the "Red Ring", which turns your character's shirt red (very cool). He started screaming "I AM THE DEVIL! I AM THE DEVIL!" over and over until his Mom came in and yelled at him (very funny).

I think this was more "Annoying Kid Panic" than "Satanic Panic" though.

:same:, but I was playing Kung Fu on NES with my friend at his house. At one point, you rescue your girlfriend and a cutscene follows in which they embrace and a bunch of hearts appear on screen. I said, “Ooh la la, they’re in looove!”, and my friend’s ultra-mega conservative Catholic father (who was silently eavesdropping on us from outside the bedroom door) busted in and hastily shooed me out of his house.

When I finally caught up to my friend again (who I hadn’t seen in weeks because he was forbidden from interacting with me), he told me his dad shooed me out because I had perverted thoughts about sex and was trying to corrupt his son. El-oh-loving-el.

We weren’t friends for much longer after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CgiBinLaden
Mar 11, 2001
I was at my best friend's 14 birthday party at a Wawaloam Campground. We had done some Dungeons and Dragons playing - nothing too heavy - but he couldn't afford any of the materials, so I purchased the Red Box Set for him and gave it to him. He attended a very fundamental christian school, so all of his teachers and classmates were at his birthday. I was the heathen that sometimes came along, because of course I loved my friend, but also appreciated meeting the sexually repressed girls that went to his school too. It was symbiotic.

Those teachers took that Red Box Set as soon as he opened it, and tossed it into the campfire. In front of me and him, and it was $30 of money I made washing dishes at something like $6 an hour to buy for him. Last laugh was on them though, because immediately a huge plume of burgundy smokes poured forth from the campfire, the ground opened up and something grabbed Mr. Beal by his ankle before he could pull away.

But seriously, gently caress that, you don't do that at someone's birthday party.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my mom tried to get me to be friends with these rodd and todd homeschooled kids

one of them found out i watch beavis and butthead and their mom threw my entire family off the property

christians are insane people with brain damage

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I was born in the early 70s. When I was probably 10 or so someone gave me Destroyer by KISS. Not long after I learned what KISS stood for and used the record as a frisbee.

Also my cousin's mom threw out all his D&D stuff.

Hell yeah I remember that from the 70s too!

Knights In Satan's Service

AC/DC was AntiChrist/Devil's Children

I'm trying to remember what the first supposedly evil backmasking track I heard was.

I want to say it was Blondie's Heart Of Glass but I don't think that's right. Maybe a Joan Jett track?

Another One Bites The Dust and Stairway To Heaven were commonly accused of backmasking.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 25, 2023

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
My parents weren't religious but my mom freaked out about gun violence a lot. (We're in Canada). The orange NES zapper was too much for her. Other than that I recall some religious students in my public elementary school being not allowed anything to do with Harry Potter in 2002.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I always let my religious cousins play my Game Boy, watch cable or borrow secular CDs to rip whenever they visited and my aunts and uncles could do absolutely gently caress all about it. Go ahead, touch my Game Boy and you’ll be meeting your God real loving quick thanks to my mother.

One time my aunt took us to Best Buy and my cousin at the time wanted a CD from The Killers. My aunt pulls me aside and asks if they’re “a good band”, which I reply “they’re kind of boring”, because I am thirteen, and even more of an elitist snob. My cousin gets the CD, and I go and pick a CD out for myself.

The CD catty then teen teen witch picks out? I was just getting into more extreme metal…

(yeah their earlier poo poo was better but it was like 2004 and I was thirteen, whatever)

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

isaboo posted:

I'm trying to remember what the first supposedly evil backmasking track I heard was.

I want to say it was Blondie's Heart Of Glass but I don't think that's right. Maybe a Joan Jett track?

Another One Bites The Dust and Stairway To Heaven were commonly accused of backmasking.

OOh, I played Another One Bites the Dust backwards on my turntable and it does kinda sound like Freddie is saying "It's hard to SMOKE Marijuana!"

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I'm remembering now that while I didn't have any friends with crazy fundie parents, there were kids with rich hippie crunchy moms who wouldn't let them eat junk food or play videogames or have any fun. They'd come over my house and just fuckin demolish the popsicles and Doritos and zone out super hard on the Sega. My mom was cool about it though cuz she knew those kids had wack moms. Come to think of it maybe those kids did have fundie parents. I dunno, most of my friends when I was little happened to be Jewish.

Kota
Jul 17, 2002

I paid how much for this?!
So the day I played D&D for the first time in the 80's at my friend's house I came home to my parents having literally just seen "Mazes & Monsters" starring Tom Hanks and teaching the dangers of D&D. My mom sat me down and explained how it was the gateway to Satanism and I could never play that game.
I immediately hid the player's handbook I'd brought home under my bed.
Two weeks later my mother found it under my bed and when I got home she (again) sat me down and explained that if she ever found D&D stuff in my possession again I'd be thrown out on the street at 14 to be homeless. I swore I wouldn't bring any more home.
So now I run Call of Cthulhu and play D&D every Sunday because Satanism is BAD rear end.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ralph Hurley posted:

I had a graphic arts class in high school where we used the school print shop to make business cards and stationery pads and stuff. The teacher was a jock dickhead type who was preoccupied with finding hidden satanic or sex and drug references in things. So if you wanted to print something with say a rock band logo he wasn’t familiar with he would come down on it because it had to be devil worship. He hated me because I used to invent symbols and secret alphabets and stuff and I refused to tell him what any of it meant (usually nothing). It drove him crazy.

lmao this rules. picturing him with covert diaries True Detective style and stuff, connecting it all on a pinboard in a hidden location, just waiting to bust this whole thing open. who knows how a mind preoccupied with this stuff is coping in the age of QAnon?

I reached out to a number of high school teachers not too long ago, which is generally a really bad idea, but they ended up pretty measured cynics and I mostly just get to see pictures of their lawns and assorted local wildlife 🤷🏻

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

I was born in the early 70s. When I was probably 10 or so someone gave me Destroyer by KISS. Not long after I learned what KISS stood for and used the record as a frisbee.

Also my cousin's mom threw out all his D&D stuff.

I once saw a mother's realization that her hatred of her son's D&D fandom was misplaced because the entire thing is about DEFEATING the evil and not worshipping it.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I wonder if any of these hysterical Christian parents during one of their endless prayer sessions have a tiny moment of clarity where Jesus kindly points out to them that the only people who are scared of or influenced in any way by the devil or witchcraft, or takes any of that goofy poo poo seriously are themselves and they should just let it go before their family ends up despising them.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

isaboo posted:

I remember people saying at the end of Def Leppard's "Loves Bites" you can hear "Jesus of Nazareth, Go to Hell". Meh.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CgiBinLaden posted:

I was at my best friend's 14 birthday party at a Wawaloam Campground. We had done some Dungeons and Dragons playing - nothing too heavy - but he couldn't afford any of the materials, so I purchased the Red Box Set for him and gave it to him. He attended a very fundamental christian school, so all of his teachers and classmates were at his birthday. I was the heathen that sometimes came along, because of course I loved my friend, but also appreciated meeting the sexually repressed girls that went to his school too. It was symbiotic.

Those teachers took that Red Box Set as soon as he opened it, and tossed it into the campfire. In front of me and him, and it was $30 of money I made washing dishes at something like $6 an hour to buy for him. Last laugh was on them though, because immediately a huge plume of burgundy smokes poured forth from the campfire, the ground opened up and something grabbed Mr. Beal by his ankle before he could pull away.

But seriously, gently caress that, you don't do that at someone's birthday party.

This is indescribably hosed up.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
So many satanism kids of the 80s/early 90s I remember grew into hardcore conservatives. Their parents and teachers didn't do that pushing against their music, dress, attitude, etc. either. It just seemed to happen naturally.

The middle-90s metal kids I think tended to veer a bit more left/moderate, though.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

veni veni veni posted:

My mom's friend tried to convince her that she should burn my cabbage patch kid because they put demons in them in the factory. This was an actual adult woman with children of her own.

I know a gal who was married to a guy who burned all of her Cabbage Patch Kids she'd had since she was about 7 because he thought the same thing.

He's also a guitarist who has played in several bar bands since the 80s and refuses to play AC/DC's "Highway to Hell".

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Liquid Chicken posted:

I remember people saying at the end of Def Leppard's "Loves Bites" you can hear "Jesus of Nazareth, Go to Hell". Meh.

That's just Mutt Lange saying something and ending it with "bloody Hell..."

There is actual backwards masking on that album though. That noise at the very beginning of "Rocket" played backwards says, "We're fighting for the Gods of War".

"Gods of War" rules and I'm glad they didn't release it as a single so I haven't gotten tired of it 35+ years on.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Treecko posted:

Cards got banned in schools because we were all having too much fun and not paying attention to the schoolwork.

Some kids made dumb trades and thier parents got all worked up and called the schools DEMANDING TO KNOW WHY THIER PRECIOUS CHILD DOESNT KNOW THE MULTIPLICATION CHART.

This was my school's stated reason for banning Pokemon and other games, kids would either start playing their Gameboys in class or they would get in some kind of argument over stolen/missing cards. If they ever followed it up with religious reasons then I don't know about it because I changed schools when I moved.

statim
Sep 5, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

Holy gently caress this just awakened something deep in my past about my mother convincing me I was "allergic" to MSG. The Asia-phobia suddenly makes all sorts of sense.

aawwwh god, same realization. Jesus it explains it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Thanks Catholic Church, keep on doing the things to people's brains that only you can do

There's also that...other stuff they got up to that seems pretty harmful to kids. But, sure, let's all focus on TTRPG's, music and video games

E:

OOh, I played Another One Bites the Dust backwards on my turntable and it does kinda sound like Freddie is saying "It's hard to SMOKE Marijuana!"

Speaking of backwards masking: not Satanic but the PMRC and Tipper Gore went about censoring record albums in the mid 80's and some of the music was "devils" or whatever. But the song that caught their ear and kicked the thing off was Prince's "Darling Nikki" off the Purple Rain album and that album DOES, in fact, have a backward's track at the end that concludes side one of the album.

It says:

“Hello, how are you?
I'm Fine, fine...
cause I know
that the Lord is coming soon
Coming, coming soon.”

Forwards then backwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnm-u4Xq9ag

Some kid should have played this for their Christian mom.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 25, 2023

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I always thought it was weird that Nikki was just openly twiddling herself in a hotel lobby like that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Prince knew some weird and wild women I suppose.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
not worth it and don't want to derail

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2023

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Seriously, the sheer amount of self-satisfied ego stroking and delusion and hypocrisy of it all just never seems to find a bottom.

Never mind that it contradicts their own darn religion. Didn't God give out free will? Wouldn't that you have to willingly CHOOSE to sell your soul, and if you were tricked or manipulated or tortured or corrupted into it or whatever, that's a violation of your free will and hence it shouldn't count? If demons are hiding in things that will somehow influence souls, isn't that messing with free will? Do we apply free will equally across all ages from young childhood to old dementia? And here's the big one. If Satan is so powerful, and the 'Father of Lies' and all that, what sounds like a better kind of lie? Overt out in the open in your face symbols and music and stuff that you can clearly see might have an edge, or working on the thoughts of so many people within the religion to play to their egos and fears and drive both themselves and others away from God (how many times have you heard the story "I was raised in a heavy religious household and now I'm an atheist and I despise religion because all they offered me was hate, anger, and nonsense (if not worse)"? And let's not forget to mention that this whole idea of THE ALL POWERFUL DEVIL OUT TO GET YOU isn't some centuries old belief like the constantly being reworked blood libel, but essentially came into modern existence because Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist were such well crafted films? Just like how Imperial Japan crafted a whole martial honor history out of whole cloth at the start of the 20th century to justify their growing desire for imperialistic expansion?

If there IS a God, and something like a heaven or hell, I have a feeling there's going to be a fair number of sad souls in Heaven and a LOT of screams in hell that are of disbelief and confusion of why they are where they are, or if such things are stripped away, a deep selfish regret that will just further justify why you ended up where you did. And the sad souls will exist because they have basic empathy and they feel for those who for one reason or another damned themselves, and how so many would need some kind of afterlife clarity to see or accept that.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009
I love getting this off my chest every so often.

Late 90's, I was in a semi-rural Evangelical elementary / jr. high that was not so much a school as it was a broke rear end daycare for parents who were afraid of what Rush Limbaugh said was going on in public schools (think "rainbow parties").

Harry Potter comes along and the ban waves start rolling in over everything. First it was Pokemon cards. Then it was the Jedi Apprentice novels my best friend and I were obsessed with.

I was always a bookworm but being told what I could and could not read totally killed my interest for a few years. I didn't get back into reading until (1) I picked up a copy of The Hobbit and (2) playing Call of Duty and Medal of Honor got me interested in reading WWII memoirs.

It still blows my mind that "educators" could be unbothered by the sudden disappearance of a child's appetite for books.

In 8th grade the aforementioned friend and I, both well-behaved and studious up to this point, declared ourselves the kings of that poo poo hole. We basically did whatever we wanted for a semester. At one point we had an N64 set up in an empty classroom and spent most of our days playing Gauntlet Legends and NFL Blitz. Corporal punishment was a thing, but we were both big enough for our age that the principal was suddenly afraid of getting his teeth kicked in if he dared to break out the paddle on us.

We were both bright kids and our parents finally realized the only way to get us back on track was to let us choose to leave that place. Public school saved my life. For a lovely small town, we had one of the best funded and best performing high schools in the state. We both ended up at the top of the class.

When I landed a full ride to a great university, I took advantage of my financial freedom by including Theology in a triple major because gently caress you, that's why. When I'm in my hometown and run into the clowns that ran the Christian school, I still enjoy baiting them into doctrinal debate that leads to Aquinas when I know the last thing they read was some Pat Robertson toilet paper from twenty years ago.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Explaining to my 7th grade English teacher that I prefer water based lube over silicon lube but she was a very vocal opponent.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
Never had anything to do with the satanic panic. Though now that I think about it, a school friend's mum did ask my parents if Warhammer 40k was satanic. How strange

Nurglings
May 6, 2016
I was a little too young for the height of the satanic panic but I remember my church had a book burning esque event where the youth pastor got a paintball gun and shot/smashed a bunch of people's Slayer and Metallica CD's

My direct involvement with the satanic panic was that I couldn't watch/read/consume DBZ, Pokemon, Harry Potter, etc. I missed out on a lot of pop culture knowledge and it has inarguably changed the trajectory of my life for the worse.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
There was an urban legend in my school that *some dude* played with ouija board and then a tombstone fell from the sky and crushed him dead. This was before social media was a thing, so I guess we'll never find out if that dude existed and if the story is true or not :shrug:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

GABA ghoul posted:

Our religious studies teacher did some satanic panic greatest hits with us(played some songs backwards and claimed there were hidden messages, showed some hidden symbols in images, etc.). After the majority of us admitted to hearing/seeing the stuff, she said it's all made up bullshit and explained what priming is and to be very careful with believing random bullshit you hear and that it can be harmful.

Your teacher was a real one.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
satanic picnic :)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

The Alchemist posted:

There was an urban legend in my school that *some dude* played with ouija board and then a tombstone fell from the sky and crushed him dead. This was before social media was a thing, so I guess we'll never find out if that dude existed and if the story is true or not :shrug:

Coulda been some kid dicking around with WITCHCRAFT in a CEMETARY and bumped into a MONUMENT.

PROTECT THE CHILDREN BAN THE WITCHCRAFT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
A jostled memory that somebody tried to foist the McGee and Me trash on me. gently caress that poo poo, I had Bruce Coville to read.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
My mother loved those terrible “movie of the week” movies they used to show, for a while she was convinced everyone was out to get me for the devil or drugs or something.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

My mom bought into the idea of D&D being satanic but she didn't actually know anything about it. It was actually kind of funny to break it to her, years later, that those Final Fantasy games I enjoyed playing so much were basically just D&D in digital form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

I alternately heard it was:

Start to smoke marijuana
We want to smoke marijuana

Devil chasers can’t even make up their minds what they are hearing!

Extra row of tits posted:

My mother loved those terrible “movie of the week” movies they used to show, for a while she was convinced everyone was out to get me for the devil or drugs or something.

Also, I’d like to mention that after this kid returned home it was discovered his brother was a serial killer, I guess the devil got him.