Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just wanted to float this idea I've had for a while whereby I go to New York, rent a car and drive through Niagara Falls, check out both sides, into Canada and to Toronto. I've done some checks and it seems I can indeed rent a car at one and return it at the other (I thought the different country might be a complication of course, I've been warned of possible extra charges beyond the quotes I've got)

This would be my first time driving in another country (and I'm British so also my first time with left hand drive outside GTA) so I guess any general advice would be appreciated, maybe it will just be fine. So far I've only seen the New York airports as start points, possibly as I'm searching through Booking.com/Skyscanner and they probably assume I want to rent right after landing instead of going into the city first, I would think the best place to start would be Newark or somewhere in the north of the city (I see an Enterprise in Harlem) or is there a reason I should start in Canada and head down?

Have I overlooked anything with my plan? I expect I'll need an ESTA for the US and to submit a Visa application or whatever to Canada as well (possibly that can be dealt with as I cross over but will save time at the very least)

Finally, is there anywhere I should consider visiting in reasonable range of all this? I'm about to go to Philadelphia otherwise I'd consider it, it seems natural to check out Buffalo though. If the drive is any good I could go on to Montreal as well, although I have already been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
There aren't really any restrictions with a rental between Canada and the US, maybe they might require you to get additional insurance, but even then it's probably for an exotic/sports car if you rent one of those. Call the rental place beforehand just to confirm. I never get a rental car at the airport, a lot of them can be understaffed and the crowds means you'll be waiting in line potentially for hours. I usually just Uber/Taxi to another highly-rated place (my go-to is Enterprise) and just rent from there. It'd be easier to fly into Newark and get on the road from there rather than JFK, you'd save some time coming out of the city and you'd be going in the northwest direction anyway. If you're going to drive to Niagara from North Jersey/NYC, New York state has a lot of cute towns to stop in and check out. I'd suggest Warwick, and then go through the Finger Lakes region (Ithica and Watkins Glen).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Weaponized Autism posted:

It'd be easier to fly into Newark and get on the road from there rather than JFK, you'd save some time coming out of the city and you'd be going in the northwest direction anyway.

Sure, will keep that in mind although I'm thinking I'll stay in Manhatten (or just over the bridges in Brooklyn or Queens) for a bit before setting off. I think some flights from the UK go to Newark but definitely the majority are to JFK. Guess I should compare driving times starting from Newark vs Enterprise in Harlem, since there's a bunch of factors that could make getting out of one better than the other.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Flights on United Airlines will land in Newark, BA will get you to JFK, and it looks like Virgin flies to both.

Also, I'd hesitate before trusting Google with NYC traffic determinations - any route through Manhattan or taking the Cross-Bronx to the GWB has a chance of just being randomly hosed by NYC traffic.

You'll also get better rates from a rental place not in the city and not at an airport. Particularly if you're spending a day or two in NYC, I'd find a rental joint either in northern NJ or in Westchester near one of the commuter train stations. And if you get one in Westchester, you can drive the Taconic, which is super pretty.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's a pretty long way across New York state, so make sure you appreciate the size of the place, but if you've already googled drive times and aren't deterred then it should be ok. You're correct that you'll need ESTAs for the US and Canada, but of course if you don't have a major criminal history those checks amount to "1. Do you have $50? 2. Give me the $50?". (Or whatever it costs now.)

Driving on the oppose side for me has never been a big problem past the first ten minutes. Although my whole brain reverses and I'm liable to get left and right mixed up. Possibly my brain just understands "right" to be "the direction you can turn without crossing traffic".

If you need/want a stop between NYC and Buffalo, you might consider Watkins Glen, a nice little lakeside town that shares its name with one of the first state parks. And Buffalo has a few nice things to do, including a Frank Lloyd Wright house open for tours.

Lastly, you've probably heard this elsewhere already, but since you're crossing, the Canadian side of Niagara falls has the better views. It's worth looking at the state park's view on the NY side, but Canada has the advantage of being opposite Bridal Veil Falls (the secondary one -- the most famous side of the falls is called Horseshoe Falls) as well as the Canadian side itself being the uglier place, so looking away from it is beneficial. :D The Canadian side's town is almost all horrific tourist trap garbage, although if you take ironic joy in things like that you'll love it. At the very least you should try to drive by the combination Burger King/Frankenstein's Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Akratic Method posted:

You're correct that you'll need ESTAs for the US and Canada, but of course if you don't have a major criminal history those checks amount to "1. Do you have $50? 2. Give me the $50?". (Or whatever it costs now.)

Unless it's gone up since I got my current one (they last 2 years) I think it's about $15. Dunno what a visa costs though, which I saw you need if you've ever been to Cuba due to their being a State Supporter of Terrorism Brackets Bad.