Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

sebmojo posted:

Gnome's Gulch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Jerkdom

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

I second this motion, even if it gets drowned out by other votes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Asmodeus's Gape

Let's open these lands up.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Jerk City here we come.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

New Jerk City

Edited for revision

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 10, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Veloxyll posted:

Jerk City

I'm good with that it's p funny I like the galts gulch reference but it needs a funnier joke really

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I get the Gulch reference also but I’m changing my vote to Jerk Land or Jerkdom. Jerk City works for the capitol or a random town name, but it seems a bit small for our protagonist’s ambitions IMHO.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
New Jerk City, because it's new and it's Jerk city

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

thekeeshman posted:

New Jerk City, because it's new and it's Jerk city

+1

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The capital should be Jerk City. Jerklandia for the kingdom

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've just relalised that I really should expand the options here.

Name of Kingdom
Name of Capital

These are self explanitory,

Here are the current stats. First things firt we need a council!

It's as simple as picking a member of the party.
Then we have some descisions to make.

The first is the fate of the Temple of the Elk.

Do we want to spread the word of the stag god across the realm.

Or look into the undead problem the area seems to be having.

We could also claim some more land!

Finally our first Crisis is what to do about the mysterious cult!

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Kingdom name: Zybourne
Capital name: The Clock

Regent: Valerie
Councilor: Shandra
General: Regongar
Priest: Harrim

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Kingdom name: Asmodeustan
Capital name: New Jerk City

General: Amiri

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

The capital should be Jerk City. Jerklandia for the kingdom

+1 for above.

For the council-

Regent Valerie.

Counselor Shandra.

General Regongar.

Hope we can find a Treasurer soon. It seems important.

High Priest Harrim.

I could explain my votes, but I won’t.

Decisions-

Plunder the Elk Temple. We can’t rechristen it for our religion, so better to earn the rewards of plunder.

Build the Erastil Shrine. It doesn’t cost much, might as well keep an eye on and pander to those weird lodge people wearing antlers. I heard a rumor they might be up to something.

Delay our Curse Research for now. I’m not going to explain this one.

Expand our Sphere of Influence and put down that Mysterious Cult. What kind of Lord High Inquisitor would we be if we didn’t do these things?

BTW, I make all these decisions having turned off the part of my brain that holds my memory of past playthroughs and going by opinion and logic. Hope you can believe that. Some of the jokes I thought up here were imho too good to delete.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Kingdom name: Asmodeus's Gate
Capitol name: New Jerk City

General: Amiri

Pillage Temple of the Elk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

achtungnight posted:

+1 for above.

For the council-

Regent Valerie.

Counselor Shandra.

General Regongar.

Hope we can find a Treasurer soon. It seems important.

High Priest Harrim.

I could explain my votes, but I won’t.

Decisions-

Plunder the Elk Temple. We can’t rechristen it for our religion, so better to earn the rewards of plunder.

Build the Erastil Shrine. It doesn’t cost much, might as well keep an eye on and pander to those weird lodge people wearing antlers. I heard a rumor they might be up to something.

Delay our Curse Research for now. I’m not going to explain this one.

Expand our Sphere of Influence and put down that Mysterious Cult. What kind of Lord High Inquisitor would we be if we didn’t do these things?

BTW, I make all these decisions having turned off the part of my brain that holds my memory of past playthroughs and going by opinion and logic. Hope you can believe that. Some of the jokes I thought up here were imho too good to delete.

all this for me too

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kingdom Jerklandia
Capital Jerk City

Regent Valerie

Counselor Shandra

General Regongar

Treasurer recruit a Mercenary

High Priest Harrim

Rebuild the temple, load of stagbotherers in these parts and they're generally good archers.

Expand our demesne at every opportunity

Solve the crisis as a priority.

Build the Shrine if we have the time.

Research the curses as an incidental filler.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Barony is properly named, so all shall know the glory of the one who founded it.

While it may be a Village for now, I name the capital with lofty goals, and to make things easy for future school children when they try and remember the founder.
See, I even think of the children.

My advisors are appointed, though I need to find a suitable treasurer.

Then its on to the business of burning down the old religions.

I can easily repurpose the building for Asmodeus later.

We then expand our holdings.

Which apparently happens straight away!

The new land will bring in new riches.

At least the pillaging is done!

We start work on some municipal buildings – the free shrine for one.

Feeding people is important to reduce revolts.

Soldiers are important for crushing said revolts.

A windmill and brewery will also help to secure peoples happyness.

A meeting hall so people can air their grievances and mark themselves out as potential troublemakers.

In hindsight, putting the tavern in the centre of the town would have been the best choice, but I am a warrior of Asmodeus, not a architect! Why don't I employ someone to do this for me!

Idleness cannot be tolerated! Harrim, hunt down that cult!

Regongar is dispatched to teach some bandits a lesson. This is no longer the stolen lands, this is Jerklandia, and we don't have a bandit problem in Jerklandia.

While Shandra and I pander to the local 1%, Epithemius proves to be a cat and sits on my lap. Despite the fact he's bigger than my throne!

The economy will grow. A rising tide floats all boats and all that!
(Yes, Jerkajerk is evil, so of course he's behind Reganomics)

Harrim is next up in the apparent queue – and we have found something other than his own death he's interested in – the death of others of his race.
He's such a joy to be around. Really he is.

Jhod wants we to take pity on Brokken and give him a job thats not peddling marital aids to the one trader in the region.

Next we make the citizens more loyal.

See, the economy grows already!

The Bandits are crushed.

Apparently the Giant Spiders were not wiped out in the raid on the sycamore. They are now spreading across Jerklandia!

Apparently there are trolls everywhere as well!

Trolls that are apparently more dangerous than normal!

I need to step in and deal with this one personally.

Linzi needs to be less defeatist!

Something is in my dreams as well.

The Guardian of the bloom also wants to speak to me! A Baron's work is never done!

I have at lease gained in experience during this time – as has the rest of the team. I decide to spend some time exploring the town.

In one of the houses we run into a troubled looking Kaessi.

Sorry, apparently that should be Kalikke.

Her story is interesting – and tragic, but now we turn to what see what she wants from me.

I agree, if only to see what other loot could be brought back from this lair.

A month has passed, and it's time to get to Bald Hilltop.

Well, I think I know where the spiders have been coming from! Why are their portals to other realms in mine!

Note to self, hunt down whichever taxonomist named the giant spiders and kill him. Like these spiders.

Just as we get to the end of the spider horde, a woman steps from the portal and attacks us!

First we need to deal with a doomspider!

Soon she is on her own, and outnumbered 6-1.

The hilltop is cleared, but now I need to figure out who is doing ritual magic in my lands!

It's not easy being in charge!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If you've been clearing any of the on-the-way-to-somewhere-else little encounter maps offscreen, there's a bad game design thing here that can bite you. One of them silently gains a companion recruitment event when this chapter starts. If you already explored it earlier, nothing will ever point you towards needing to go back into that one map in particular and the companion become permanently unrecruitable if you finish the chapter without doing it. It's not one of the ones you've done on-screen though.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

If you've been clearing any of the on-the-way-to-somewhere-else little encounter maps offscreen, there's a bad game design thing here that can bite you. One of them silently gains a companion recruitment event when this chapter starts. If you already explored it earlier, nothing will ever point you towards needing to go back into that one map in particular and the companion become permanently unrecruitable if you finish the chapter without doing it. It's not one of the ones you've done on-screen though.

I vote we look for this companion soon. Or help Killike. She seems nice.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Getting Kalikke/Kanerah early is very nice - for several reasons - with the only real issue being the location is a pain to get to both in terms of distance and it taking you into a nastier random encounter area. Still, if GH thinks he can handle the potential encounters on the way that'd be my suggestion. For one it helps to knock their recruitment out early before things really start heating up and just how out-of-the way the location is becomes a real time issue for the near future.

The location will still be available later - if it wasn't obvious from just how this recruitment popped up, these specific companions were from Kingmaker's first (and best) DLC, so the quest doesn't get locked out or become missable - but more companion options now is always nice.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
[nods in agreement with Lord Koth] Keeping spoilers minimal, one major weakness of this game is the constant time limit. You will always have at least two clocks keeping you from achieving a complete victory- the overall clock and the Act problem. We can see both clocks to a degree outside mods and all other quests are subservient to them. IE they’re optional time sinks if we need them to occupy ourselves while the big clocks tick to the next plot mandated event.

The Act problem in Act 1 was the Stag Lord, he is down now. I invite the OP and other players to guess the quests that illustrate the current Act problem (Linzi’s Act narration illustrates progress, we have a certain number of Acts) and the overall game issue’s clock. We need to concentrate on addressing those two clocks and becoming strong enough to pass their quests above all else. Some quests we are given now can be steamrolled later while we are waiting for the clocks to progress. A good strategy might be to make what progress on each quest we can now, then proceed as we get more powerful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

you guys might not be super familiar with Grey Hunter LPs, but "succeed at the game" is not necessarily the goal. It's more about the fun we had along the way. Failing can be fun. Not knowing how to succeed or fail can also be entertaining. Taking what the game is handing the player at face value is cool and good.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thx Leperflesh. I'm good with whatever Grey Hunter does, hope we keep having fun regardless of game progress. I hope everyone else feels the same.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

you guys might not be super familiar with Grey Hunter LPs, but "succeed at the game" is not necessarily the goal. It's more about the fun we had along the way. Failing can be fun. Not knowing how to succeed or fail can also be entertaining. Taking what the game is handing the player at face value is cool and good.

Sure, but in most of the LPs you're talking about it's a matter of "whoops, Grey just got a large chunk of the Grand Fleet sunk/accidentally blew up a planet/etc., but the game continues in this awkward situation." Here, when I'm talking about harder random encounters it's just "your party died, please reload." Same with the timers running down - it's not a case of you now dealing with some issues for the rest of the game, it's just a game over. This can be interesting - particularly if it's in an amusing manner or can have some story attached - but if, for this example, Grey doesn't think he can handle the harder random encounter chart in that area then watching him futilely bash his head against a Roc is only funny the first one or two times.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah, if the game is just broken in some avoidable way, that seems like a reasonable thing to warn about.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It seems that Shandra is doing her job well.

I should build a new settlement in the outskirts – but what to name it?

I stock up at the store. Plenty of new magic items for the party – armour and a belt for Amari and a belt for Valerie.

I begin exploring to the south. I find and claim some high ground that will be useful in defending the area.

We find a bridge.

It's apparently the hunting ground of a pack of wolves.

The Alpha wolf is no pushover.

This is a surprisingly well built for the area – was this a remnant of an ancient empire? Or some locals folly of a project?

There are some bandits taking tolls here.
Well, there were some bandits.

We find a strange hat that will make Jaethal much better at healing herself.

More wolves!

Some strange premonition of death tells me I should not enter this cage until I have more experience.

I begin to move towards where Kalikke is waiting, securing some salt.

While camping we are attacked by a man and his pet wyvern! This is not the normal goblin or bandit ambush we have gotten used to when sleeping. A hard fight ensues.

There is a good deal of loot on the corpses. We then continue north.

Arriving at the allotted place, we come across a band of tieflings.

They seem to be pestering lapdogs.

They leave, as we get down to business.

We will be doing this with just the two of us.

Okay, they seem a little creepy. Lets get on to the tower!

There are some giant frogs down there, we snipe them from range.

Epithemius does run down and have some fun.

There seems to be some ritual going on here.

It seems they are leftovers from some long lost disaster.

We decide to free them.

Kalikke uses her water powers to extinguish the magical fires.

They give us warning.

Then they return to the water.

Exploring further, we find a cliff face, and begin climbing.

It nearly goes poorly, but Kalikke saves me.

There is always time for some sightseeing.

And always check for caves behind waterfalls.

More centipedes, yeah.

This is good to know.

There is a good amount of loot.

We clear some rubble.

Emerging into the light we find a couple of gargoyles defending the ruins of the tower.

After destroying them, Kalikke seems to worry this is all for naught.

But then, looking over the next cliff, we see something glinting with a magical light.

But it is guarded.

Kenerah chooses this point to pop up once again. She seems to have no knowledge of what is going on here.

I have a plan for evening the odd – those elementals owe me.

The battle begins.

We sit and chat.

One of the elementals goes down, but the gargoyle is taking hits.

I've glad I brought a packed lunch!

The last Elemental dies, but the Gargoyle is hurt – now is our time.

This is the second vine infested monster we have come across.

Epithemius goes down, he's tough!

We finally bring it down however.

Kenerah claims her reward.

We are not the first is seems.

As expected, strange magiks happen.

I guess this is a good step while stil bonded to a single body, at least they can control who is active at any one time – and as one is fire and the other water, this opens up more tactical options.

Now we must look into the next threat. What to do... what to do....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

yeah, if the game is just broken in some avoidable way, that seems like a reasonable thing to warn about.

On the above note- keep an eye on the Bald Hilltop, Grey Hunter. It is a recurring issue.

Vote for name of new settlement- Jerkville.

Careful in the Bridge over the Gudrin River area. Especially in the underground portion. Ah, you already know. Good. Well, you may want to come back later for further exploration in a future update. The local bandits may have a few more tricks up their sleeves. Some of them may even seem familiar. :)

Glad you overcame that wyvern encounter. It does seem out of proportion to your character level. At least it’s not five Huge Fire Elementals at 3rd level, which is what I got one playthrough. Ack!

Excellent use of strategy with the water elementals.

In the interest of further strategy, I vote we look into the Troll Problem by finding an expert on the subject in the area Kesten describes. Perhaps in a Lonely House, a Ruined Tower, or a Ford on a River. Also see if our new allies can help with our government operations. Is Kalikke any good at math?

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 18, 2023