Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's incredibly funny that Daz Cameron counts as a one team player for the Tigers but his picture has him in an Orioles hat

anyway, took serious adavantage of the active players counting for the one team player category yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I skipped yesterday and absolutely boned today and honestly the novelty is finally starting to wear off for me. The completion vs points tension is one I've had going back to Tetris at least. I just can't be arsed to add another game to the game to make it more difficult, especially as they add easier and easier categories.

I know I've said recently basically the opposite, but for some reason the thinness of the thing really seems obvious to me today.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Immaculate, 94. Just happy I got all Cubs at or under 1%

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Still love me Hall of Fame Pitcher George Herman "Babe" Ruth.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So I got today with too much trouble (BAL/SEA was a little tough, but I got there), but happened to try the MLB Pickle game. Anyone else try it? It's sorta like Wirdle but with bio details (team, division handedness, birth country, age, and position) rather than letters.

One thing I noticed is that Bref and MLB have different ages, I think because statistically the Age X season is determined at age on Opening Day whereas MLB uses their actual age for biography. That is to say, Bref is extremely accurate in bio details, but if you're looking at ages in a team stat roster rather than a player page, you might be off. So that's interesting. One of those foibles of trivia.

e: Also it's quite limited by being the current season. It's definitely a "beating your own record" game rather than truly testing knowledge.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

I've never tried Pickle because I'm the kind of weird nerd who read and re-read the Historical Baseball Abstract (2003 edition) as a child, making me most familiar with dudes who played before I had to grow up and get a job.

Delino DeShields is still building his legend!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

oh the thread isn't completely dead yet?

today's gave good opportunities for rarity score as stat based ones tend to do. 14 rarity

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
or you can be like me and learn the hard way that mike mussina didn't post a sub 3 for the yankees smdh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bullpen guys are almost always the ones you want to go with for sub-3 ERA (or deadball era guys)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ended up with 119 because I went with Kirby Puckett for HoF and 300HR instead of the multiple other Twins who would have worked.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Ended up with 119 because I went with Kirby Puckett for HoF and 300HR instead of the multiple other Twins who would have worked.

nah dawg we're puck fucks for life

wait that sounds terrible as a standalone and also considering what we know about him after the fact

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

maffew buildings posted:

nah dawg we're puck fucks for life

wait that sounds terrible as a standalone and also considering what we know about him after the fact

Yeah already having Roberto Alomar made me loathe to include him in general but I THOUGHT I'd be going for rarity.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the true rarity is a 9 man grid of all time good dudes

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I still can't remember if I got to see Trea Turner during his (very short) Single A stint.

Anyway, 36, which I think might be my lowest? Today was a good day for picking off-meta guys for me, I guess.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Well, "played X position" seemed like a natural category to add at some point, but two in the same grid seems like trouble and when they're catcher and short I finally just gave up rather than even trying to guess.

Turns out it's really fuckin common, including lots of guys I know but would have never guessed. Neat. :argh:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

rickiep00h posted:

Well, "played X position" seemed like a natural category to add at some point, but two in the same grid seems like trouble and when they're catcher and short I finally just gave up rather than even trying to guess.

Turns out it's really fuckin common, including lots of guys I know but would have never guessed. Neat. :argh:

It was fun to remember early 2000s Rangers utility man Scott Sheldon, who once played all nine positions in a game

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It was fun to remember early 2000s Rangers utility man Scott Sheldon, who once played all nine positions in a game

See I was trying to figure out something like this and I thought for sure Willians Astudillo would have logged a game at short, but apparently not at the MLB level.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Angels/Cubs? Just gonna put 'Ohtani' and... poo poo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Angels/Cubs? Just gonna put 'Ohtani' and... poo poo

lol I was going to do that exact bit

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Any time Angels/Cubs comes up I put in Joe Smith because a) his name is literally "Joe Smith", c'mon, b) he's always super low rarity c) seriously his name is Joe Smith, that isn't a real name, d) I cannot believe some guy named Joe Smith existed, played baseball, and played baseball for the Cubs and e) idk why but I have a really vivid memory of the trade happening and him pitching for the Cubs, probably because in contrast to his so generic it has to be fake name he was actually a funky submariner guy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Quality Ryan Dempster is Canadian square today.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Got my lowest score of 52

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Always love when homerism pays off. Also, today was a good day for using guys in not-obvious squares.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros having like 4 or 5 combined nonos in their history sure makes for some good rarity opportunities

I went with Kirk Saarloos

Off the top of my head they have four but I think I might be forgetting one. They have them in starts by Roy Oswalt, Aaron Sanchez and two by Christian Javier

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Intruder posted:

The Astros having like 4 or 5 combined nonos in their history sure makes for some good rarity opportunities

I went with Kirk Saarloos

Off the top of my head they have four but I think I might be forgetting one. They have them in starts by Roy Oswalt, Aaron Sanchez and two by Christian Javier

It's cool that they allow pitchers that were just part of a combined effort. I felt pretty smart when I remembered Billy Wagner was part of one of them, but I completely punted on the A's and went with #1 answer Dallas Braden.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sure it's contentious, just like the idea of them existing in general is contentious

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

27. I'm never beating this. And, as per usual, everyone forgets Babe Ruth.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i really don't like grids where you don't have intersecting teams

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I almost didn't do this one, but I knew it would be hunting for rarity more than actually thinking of "played center for the Brewers" because goodness it would be easy.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Should've been Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta to match the Braves journey. Washington would be better with Minnesota and Texas

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Apparently, 10+ WAR seasons aren't as rare as I thought. I wouldn't have guessed that Jack McDowell had one till I actually guessed it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

live with fruit posted:

Apparently, 10+ WAR seasons aren't as rare as I thought. I wouldn't have guessed that Jack McDowell had one till I actually guessed it.

That was 10 win, not 10 WAR. So yeah, easy bar for Black Jack.

As for me, I'm solidly in the metagaming phase. Got a 30 with this:

Rearrange some guys and your rarity gets much better.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
That makes a lot more sense.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminder for today's players that bullpen guys are the best ones to use for the ERA column

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Reminder for today's players that bullpen guys are the best ones to use for the ERA column

My choice for KC ERA was a .02% guess. That was the only one I really chewed by looking someone up, but it helped offset my top pick for another square, so whatevs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Almost had the complete Cub for today's but I can't think of anyone for the Braves/Slugger square.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Decided to play today since Real Baseball is almost upon us. Got my first rules-bender answer:

Can you see it? Grienke won his while pitching for the Dbacks and then went to Houston in the middle of the year. made sure to keep that one for last just in case it wouldn't let me use him.

I occasional check the site for good grids, but so many of them now are weird categories, so even on days I would feel like doing one, I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I kind of quit playing this but had a look today since I saw the thread got bumped and paging mdemone to the thread for one of the answers ;)