Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
I can't figure this one out and I've tried everything. I complained about it in a different thread that isn't really meant for actual tech support and no one was experiencing similar issues as far as I can tell. starts here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=30 find in page for my user name.

TL:DR firefox/youtube used to remember what stuff I was into even while not logged in. It would remember what I was into until I eventually decided that it was recommending me stuff that was too samey and then I would just forget about youtube in firefox history and start fresh. Now it doesn't remember poo poo. Nothing. Every time I open youtube it's basically like If as I had opened it in a private window. just a bunch of trending poo poo that I couldn't are less about.

I disabled all of my plugins, it didn't work.
I deleted all firefox data with bleachbit except saved passwords. no help.
I "refreshed" firefox which was a real pain in the rear end. no luck.
I tried firefox in limited mode. nope.

MS Edge gives the expected behavior. I searched for a couple tech videos from linus tech tips, gamers nexus, etc and wouldn't you know it my main page was populated with tech stuff.

I have got to be missing something someone please help a brother out

Edit: started about a week ago.
Edit2: plugins I have installed, which were erased during the FireFox refresh so I don't think they are the culprit because everything was still hosed up

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It sounds like you're blocking cookies from youtube somehow. Go to youtube and click the 🔒 next to the url then 'more information' and make sure cookies are enabled.

other things you can try is connecting from a different IP and creating a new firefox profile to try to narrow down the problem.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Schweinhund posted:

It sounds like you're blocking cookies from youtube somehow. Go to youtube and click the 🔒 next to the url then 'more information' and make sure cookies are enabled.

other things you can try is connecting from a different IP and creating a new firefox profile to try to narrow down the problem.

It seems like spoofing my routers mac and forcing a new ip from Xfinity actually worked??!! Since I did a firefox "refresh" only a few hours ago i didn't have to create a new profile or anything because I think that is what refreshing firefox essentially does. Are you some kind of angel?

Also this is what my site preferences look like since that was your first recommendation. let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary please.

on this one i had to crop the first entry which was "access midi devices" doubt it is relevant.

Edit: new ip absolutely fixed the problems. I did a very quick test with a linus tech tips video, a fiona apple video and talking heads born under punches live and it is recommending me stuff that I like now. I don't know how a change in ip could fix this particular problem but I'll take it.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 28, 2023

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I don't know but I've had issues where changing IPs fixed problems. I thought creating a new profile would be more likely to fix it and the IP change was a last resort kind of thing to try. Glad it's fixed.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Schweinhund posted:

I don't know but I've had issues where changing IPs fixed problems. I thought creating a new profile would be more likely to fix it and the IP change was a last resort kind of thing to try. Glad it's fixed.

It still blows my mind that this worked. I'm :toxx: myself that within the next 3 months I will donate 50 bux to rainn in your name. I chose rainn because they already have my info on file and they email me nearly every drat day. I just don't have the heart to unsubscribe to their mailing list :(

I WILL POST RECEIPTS! I would do it sooner but money is tight

3 months.

Edit: MODS this isn't a joke toxx. going to need you to hold my feet to the fire on this. No receipt by 10/28 = PERMABAN

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 28, 2023

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
half way there. I'm bummed it didn't show the "company" that I donated under, which was "Schweinhund Tech support" but that is all they gave me.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 28, 2023

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Very cool. Appreciate it :h:

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
I'll bump the thread when I fulfill the rest of my obligation. I am a man of my word.

I'm just thinking of some geek squad employee hooking my computer up to their network and wondering what the hell I am even talking about, charging me a service fee + time and telling me there is nothing wrong. I consider myself a pretty good trouble shooter. Better than your average geek squad employee for sure. Never would it have occurred to me I needed to get a new IP address and you got that poo poo straight out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

get r done.