Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Now seeking advice on a new purse. Please tell me what you're toting these days, and what you like/dislike about it.

For the last 5+ years I've mostly been using this:

Advantages:

• Made domestically
  • No plastic
  • Makes me feel like Indiana Jones
  • Usually holds everything I want it to hold

Disadvantages:

• It's 5+ years old and it's about to have a big hole in it from normal wear
  • Putting a laptop in it works but it's so big I can't latch it closed
  • Cotton is kind of heavy
  • Doesn't really have any cool pockets for stashing stuff
  • I guess this style of bag is associated with guns? Not always the look I want, especially in the airport.

I also have one of these:

Advantages:

• Plenty big for the laptop, and on a 2-3 day trip, it's the only bag I carry
  • Has some cool pockets to stash stuff so it's not as gigantic a mess
  • Apparently it will keep water out sort of
  • Makes me feel like a punk rock Seattle/San Francisco bike courier

Disadvantages:

• It's kinda huge, not something you want to grab on the way out the door, more like an investment
  • Also getting kinda worn out
  • All kinds of stuff sticks to the velcro tabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I have a wallet with a bank card, a PayPal card, my student ID, driver's license... And nothing else. It's pretty efficient.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What do you put in it

Ass-penny

mostly keep things in my pockets. when I need to pack more I bring a backpack or reusable grocery bags or something.

when I worked at the pizza parlour a coworker said her dad was getting a body bag to help him carry things, after which she needed to explain to me designers like Gucci make body bags, which are just purses marketed towards men who are to fragile to admit they need a purse.

anyway, good luck with your purse hunt, I hope it solves all of your carrying things problems

Machai

Viginti Septem posted:

I have a wallet with a bank card, a PayPal card, my student ID, driver's license... And nothing else. It's pretty efficient.

Front or back pocket?

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Machai posted:

Front or back pocket?

Front fo sho

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

cruft

Ominous Jazz posted:

What do you put in it

My laptop, occasionally. Two pairs of glasses. Asthma inhaler. Wallet with the billions of cards I have to have occasionally but don't want to sit on. Fold-up reusable grocery bag. Multi-tool. Bandana. Cliff bar (for secret eating). Allen wrench set. Assortment of USB cables. USB charger with built-in battery. Sharpie. Pen. Pencil. Tiny notebook. First aid kit. A whole lot of ibuprofen to give to people (I don't like ibuprofen), aspirin, and some benadryl. Earplugs. Business cards. Lots of keys I need from time to time but not often enough to carry in my front pocket. Dental floss. 15 feet of paracord. USB flash drive. My phone, occasionally. Work ID. Flashlight. Electronic bagpipe (for secret practicing). Wired earbuds. Wireless earbuds. USB C to 3.5mm TRS adapter.

That's all I can remember without going and opening it up to look inside.

e: I went and looked inside, and found a few more things: pair of foldable scissors, tape measurer, glasses cleaning cloth, any USB to any other USB (and even the Apple thing) adapter, a few more USB adapters, and something else I already forgot about again.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 29, 2023

cruft

You might be asking yourself, how did cruft get into the habit of carrying all this poo poo around everywhere. Well, I'll tell you.

Diaper bags wind up being pretty handy for carrying other poo poo you need from time to time. Then the kid figures out how to use the toilet, and you ask yourself, do I really want to be that guy who doesn't have the pliers or the allen wrenches or the scissors? And for me, the answer was, no, I do not want to be that guy.

So if you ever need something in a pinch, hit me up, I've probably got it.

Ass-penny

the most complete allen wrench set in the world isn't going to fix my problems but I appreciate the effort

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
I got so frustrated looking for the right purse that I just started making my own.

So yeah, easy solution is to just spend a few years getting comfortable enough with a sewing machine that you can find a good base pattern on Etsy, tweak certain aspects like the strap width, overall depth and add on a zipper pocket and whip one up yourself!

cruft

DaChurl posted:

I got so frustrated looking for the right purse that I just started making my own.

So yeah, easy solution is to just spend a few years getting comfortable enough with a sewing machine that you can find a good base pattern on Etsy, tweak certain aspects like the strap width, overall depth and add on a zipper pocket and whip one up yourself!

:stonk:

Actually Ms Cruft is a pretty good dressmaker, I wonder if she could throw a purse together :thunk:

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

cruft posted:

:stonk:

Actually Ms Cruft is a pretty good dressmaker, I wonder if she could throw a purse together :thunk:

Can't hurt to ask!

Personally, I'm garbage at making any clothing more complicated than a skirt with an elastic waistband. Not sure why I can manage a purse with extra layers for pockets and zippers without the inevitable emotional meltdown that comes from attempting basic sleeves.

Basically... sewing is a land of contrasts?

If nothing else, it could be a good excuse to spend quality time working on a project together.

xcheopis

I use a medical bag
https://www.hopkinsmedicalproducts.com/catalog/Medical-Bags/Shoulder-Bags/Mini-Home-Health-Shoulder-Bag-HMP

I have two others, larger than the mini, for rough weather or as needed. They're pretty good!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

FreshCutFries

i prefer to pack everything in my cheeks like a chipmunk op

FreshCutFries

"have a nice day!
*spraying chapstick, tums, and a suspicious amount of batteries out of my mouth*
"eah ou thoo!"

cruft

xcheopis posted:

I use a medical bag
https://www.hopkinsmedicalproducts.com/catalog/Medical-Bags/Shoulder-Bags/Mini-Home-Health-Shoulder-Bag-HMP

I have two others, larger than the mini, for rough weather or as needed. They're pretty good!

Whoa, this might be the answer to my prayers. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai

cruft posted:

You might be asking yourself, how did cruft get into the habit of carrying all this poo poo around everywhere. Well, I'll tell you.

Diaper bags wind up being pretty handy for carrying other poo poo you need from time to time. Then the kid figures out how to use the toilet, and you ask yourself, do I really want to be that guy who doesn't have the pliers or the allen wrenches or the scissors? And for me, the answer was, no, I do not want to be that guy.

So if you ever need something in a pinch, hit me up, I've probably got it.