Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

When I was in Tokyo in May 2023 I came across this box of old photo paper that contained 188 negatives, cut from 116 film labelled in French, Vacances 1959. I've since scanned all of these negs and I've been posting them 4 a day over on my cohost: https://cohost.org/Vacances1959

The first 52 are up there currently and you can check them all out there, but I'm also going to post some of what I think are the more interesting photos here too. It's been a lot of fun so far and a few people have been helping contribute to finding locations of photos, with a goal of trying to recreate the route they took.

This is the box they came in. You may be familiar with the company Agfa, or their full name Agfa-Gevaert, producers of film to this day. The company as we know today was formed through a merger between Agfa and Gevaert in 1964 so, assuming the photographs and box are contemporary, means they were taken before then. Helpfully the year is also written on the box. So that's nice.

How these holiday photos, taken by a French person on holiday, ended up in a market on the streets of Tokyo I'll never know.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them here are some personal highlights from the first 52 photos.

Vieux pont de St Martin, 74700 Sallanches

Now the Les Marmottes campsite, Chamonix, Mont Blanc

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

love this

thanks mate

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Fascinating bits of history. I think the kayaker nearly erased by the water is my favorite.

Who's finding the locations? People who saw the posts, or are you researching them yourself?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

People who see the posts, I've done a little digging myself but there are at least 2 others who are really into it

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some nice photos from todays set

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Megabound posted:

Some nice photos from todays set

Pretty sure that glacier is the Mer de Glace above Chamonix.

Cool photos all around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pouring over old photos and figuring out what those spots look like today is so addictive. Wish there was some fancy interface to merge google street view with old photos that you've geotagged.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah that'd be great. It's easy to get pretty close for the street shots but for a lot of the nature it's very difficult

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A little catch up on some of my favourites from the past few days

Any phrenologists in the house? Might be able to figure out where they're from

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
these are so great

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What is it about B&W that makes run of the mill vacation snapshots look like well considered art?

Or is my brain just that broken. I love the heck out of that shot in the gorge and the city overview after it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think they're just well composed shots. As the photographer has gone on I think they've gotten better at photography. I think the stuff I'm posting now is from the 1960 holiday, a year after the earlier photos, it seems like they have more of a photographic eye and experience in how to use the camera.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
absolutely jaw dropping scenery too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

This looks like something out of a fantasy movie.

All of these are amazing! Thank you for sharing!