Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Grey Cat posted:

What if my back hurts regardless of the chair I'm sitting in?

do some deadlifts, rows and leg raises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
whats the deal with headrests on chairs. seriously. who uses them. it makes no sense unless youre leaning back to rest or something

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Back pain gets a bad rap but it's a pretty good excuse to get out of things like
-carrying stuff
-work
-war

I'm not hung over. I have a bad back :)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Just sit in a milk crate

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

do some deadlifts, rows and leg raises

This sounds awful. I'll stick to hobbling.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Grey Cat posted:

This sounds awful. I'll stick to hobbling.

:cheers:

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I use a Steelcase Leap as my daily, but I've also started hoarding collecting Steelcase 451s. How are these chairs so simple, yet so comfortable? And why hasn't anybody been able to replicate this simple rear end design in China for like $50?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm reminded that when I first moved out I was using some crappy $5 plastic chair as my computer chair for at least a solid 2 years. It was absolutely miserable.

Something like this but a stacker not a folder.

Ive upgraded since then, don't mourn me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

eSports Chaebol posted:

whats the deal with headrests on chairs. seriously. who uses them. it makes no sense unless youre leaning back to rest or something

Love to lean back and rest my head on the headrest pillow of my Secretlab Titan Evo after making a post. Or when I pwn some idiot in CoD.

:feelsgood:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

if i dont do the superman stretch/exercise every day, my bavk and shoulders don't feel great

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
i'm same, gotta do that trunk rotation and chest expansion.
but yknow what? drat this fuckin chair is uncomfortable.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a bad chair is a real pain in the rear end :dadjoke:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got an IKEA standing desk and a high stool from the thrift shop for when I need to rest my feet a bit so I don't have to wind the desk down. :feelsgood:

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
been spending more time on my back under my car than on my chair lately, and it's not better, not worse.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Triikan posted:

I can't relate to this thread, as I bought a Steelcase Leap.

I bought this chair and it was one of the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever owned and it creaked and cracked a lot when I'd lean back which annoyed my downstairs neighbors and then the arm rests started peeling after a year so I just switched back to the 80 dollar Amazon chair I was using before.

I was thinking it was probably my fault for going for a refurbed leap, but I sat in a new Leap at my office recently and it wasn't much different from what I had at home. I haven't looked for a new chair since, but now I'm posting in the back pain thread so it's about time

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
been a good couple of days, but it's hurtin again, so im postin again.
do not recommend chairs i won't sit on them.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
The IKEA Markus is the poo poo but I feel like it got more expensive from when I bought it

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I had the same chair in my classroom for something like 15 years. If finally gave out and I asked for a replacement. I think they just found another chair of the same model in a storeroom. It was definitely heavily used and worn, but at least it still had all the casters.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
i can't express enough how important it is to strengthen your core with exercise if you have run of the mill back pain. i, along with my brother, sister, gf, and my old rally teammate all suffered some degree of back pain, almost all lower back pain, from a sedentary lifestyle. all of us now report absolutely none, after only a few months to a year of exercise. your pathetic back muscles are probably too weak to support your spine!!! deadlifts, bent over rows, and leg raises hanging from a bar are excellent for strengthening the muscles that support the spine. but just about any free weight movement that involves core stability (generally involving a standing position) is good too: squats, strict/push press, pull/chin ups if you can do them, etc.

i lived with this back pain for a long rear end time, as did many people i know, and in the last year of starting an athletic pursuit (now coupled with lifting), we are all free of its torment

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

My back hurts because of poor posture can I post here or nah

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

great big cardboard tube posted:

My back hurts because of poor posture can I post here or nah

please lift :negative:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

i can't express enough how important it is to strengthen your core with exercise if you have run of the mill back pain. i, along with my brother, sister, gf, and my old rally teammate all suffered some degree of back pain, almost all lower back pain, from a sedentary lifestyle. all of us now report absolutely none, after only a few months to a year of exercise. your pathetic back muscles are probably too weak to support your spine!!! deadlifts, bent over rows, and leg raises hanging from a bar are excellent for strengthening the muscles that support the spine. but just about any free weight movement that involves core stability (generally involving a standing position) is good too: squats, strict/push press, pull/chin ups if you can do them, etc.

i lived with this back pain for a long rear end time, as did many people i know, and in the last year of starting an athletic pursuit (now coupled with lifting), we are all free of its torment

yeah this can't really be reiterated enough

i mean, I'm hosed, I have ehlers danlos, i can get sciatica pain from laying on a bed that's too soft for too many minutes. having core strength and paying attention to my posture is a key to making sure that's a minutes-hours situation rather than a days-weeks one.

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
back hurts from standing
back hurts from sleeping
back hurts from sunrise to sunset
i should try stretching one day.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Stretching your back is very satisfying and very telling how stiff we start out as at default

Start with your hands so far away from your feet

By the end my palms are on the floor

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

this

Peggy Edson posted:

I spent a couple hundred dollars on a chair at the start of covid and don't sit like a moron so I can't relate to having back problems op, sorry

and this

It's not hard to sit up straight, I promise

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
started doing mild exercise

its pretty good i guess

also swapped my chair to a 20$ costco folding chair

that helped.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
These dynadisc things are good for getting in tune with how you support yourself while seated and how you might tense up:

Just like 10 minutes a day wiggling around at first can help a lot. You can also do poo poo like 1 legged squats on it and crack your head open

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 23, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that thing looks like it should make a big fart sound when you sit on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i had this lovely office chair from ikea that i bought for like $60 that kept having the cheap bolts snap off until 7 years later it finally broke for good. I used an oak dining room table chair for about 4 months until my back hurt so bad i didn't even want to be at my desk anymore. bought a $500 office chair and haven't looked back.

also about those lovely ikea chairs, they put off a TON of static electricity when you sit down or stand up, to the point where sometimes my computer would make a usb disconnected noise when I stood up due to the static discharge and i could see a blue arc between myself and the chair. I would not buy one or continue to use one.