Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Just start chopping

This is the best way to get over meal paralysis. If you have any degree of cooking experience/knowledge, you know at some level what works together so just get started and it’ll work itself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Posting so I'll remember to sign up for this. CSA's an unfortunate acronym, but I'll make do when I am covered in beautiful carrots.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

It's that day again!

Tonight we're having leek and potato soup, I'll make some fritters with turnips, squash, beets and potatoes later in the week, my husband wants to make baba ghanoush, and we need to can and/or dehydrate some of these tomatoes. We've got some Deer Parts(tm) in the freezer, I'll probably make chili with that. Maybe I'll make shishito poppers since my son seems to like just snacking on them.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Few days late posting but here was the weekends haul. I will be out of town so I went light and focused on peppers to make salsa this week.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

People were asking about beets and I am posting to tell you that if you slice them very thinly and then julienne them you can eat them raw.

I like to add them to shredded cabbage with similarly cut carrots to make a slaw. Yes, the slaw turns pink as you mix it, but pink is the new black or something and it tastes good.

The easiest way to do it is to use a mandoline to slice them very thinly then stack them and use a knife to cut them into something between a julienne and a chiffonade. You can also use a vegetable peeler, which is what I usually do because I hate cleaning my mandoline if I'm not using it to make some sort of gratin and also it is scary.

I grow a very odd sort of tomato that I got from a guy who runs a small Latino grocery. He gave me some very small tomatoes and said they were from Costa Rica. They now dominate my garden and from Spring until just around last week they were producing gallons of very, very small tomatoes. I tried making sauce with them a few times but the ratio of pulp to skin/seeds is so messed up that two quarts of the fruit produced maybe a half-pint of sauce after all was said and done.

So then I thought maybe I can dry them and make tomato raisins, and I'll be damned if it didn't sort of work. I just put them in a very low oven for a few hours, checking every now and again and they dried pretty well. I suspect the result would be even better if I had an actual dehydrator, but I don't. This may only be useful if you grow very, very small tomatoes from Costa Rica, but I thought I'd throw it out there because in my experience making sauce with cherry tomatoes is not the best use of that particular tomato.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

I have Too Many Tomatoes and I already have made sauce so now I'm making tomato paste and dehydrating a bunch more. If I can get the maters really dry I might try powdering them and adding them to my cheese straw recipe for extra flavor... But that's a pretty big if right now

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I have Too Many Tomatoes and I already have made sauce so now I'm making tomato paste and dehydrating a bunch more. If I can get the maters really dry I might try powdering them and adding them to my cheese straw recipe for extra flavor... But that's a pretty big if right now

I grow heaps of tomatoes and my method is to fill up the instant pot with trimmed tomatoes, pressure cook for 20, shove em through a strainer, pour into yogurt tubs and freeze.

Sometimes I boil the pulp again with carrot celery and leek trimmings and freeze that as veg stock.

Yesterday I made scones with cheddar, leek, zucchini, and green chilies. Very good supper with veg soup.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

You can ferment tomatoes as well. Any tomatoes will work, but I think it's easiest with cherry tomatoes because they're easy to pack into mason jars.

They come out salty and tomato-y, and if you add basil to the brine they get very basil-y.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

https://www.goonswithspoons.com/Tomato_Curry_by_Dino

It comes out as a really nice accompaniment to rice.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Tomato gravy freezes pretty well, too. Not that I've ever used fresh tomatoes for that, but that's more due to the volume of tomato you need to burn to do it,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Doing a spot of thread necromancy to note that the noble hash is an excellent way to use up vegetables, especially winter squash