Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

🏓🏓🏓

I noticed there's not a lot of threads about table tennis in here.

More people should join in and celebrate every time a chinese player don't win a match!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edi9lvhaRBA

And what about France with the Lebrun brothers? Alexis actually managed to win a match against world no. 1 Fan Zhendong in Macao this year, biggest upset in years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REcM1sYj_fI

Write here about your favorite Butterfly rubber, or about how Germany is sure to win silver again in the men's team event at the next olympics.

🏓🏓🏓

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Oh hey we do have a TT thread I didn't realize that lol

Tankakern posted:

Write here about your favorite Butterfly rubber, or about how Germany is sure to win silver again in the men's team event at the next olympics

1. zero bcox their pricing policy sucks (at least here in EUR)
2. again zero since Timo's body has finally got the message that he's past his due date (sadly).
Maybe we can get a medal in the mixed doubles (merciful draw required). But that's about it.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
For current events, the WTT Men's Finals 2023 (yes this counts for last year) are under way.
Draw here (yes the WTT homepage is as stupid as ever)
https://worldtabletennis.com/eventInfo?subEvt=MSINGLES&selectedTab=Draws&eventId=2866
Opinions?

‐‐--------

Also, what is with the doping ban of USA :911: Nr. 1 Kanak JHA.
Seems like the dumbest TT-Story of all times, any news?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
is it just me or does the side view in all of the WTT videos suck rear end?

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
The one with the camera right on the net line? Yeah it's shite.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
now it looks like they're opting for a diagonal isometric view. this has gotta be the worst of both worlds

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
The World Team Championships are coming up :toot: 2/16-2/25 in Busan, South Korea. I hope the 2 other people who have seen this thread are as excited as I am!

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Sure, my body is ready.

1st round matches to me interesting is

(men) :911: vs :cryingbundeskrähe: 9:00 CET Tbl. 5
Prediction: Our Nr.5 is stronger than your No.1. Well. You do the math.
Side question: I asked about Kanak JHA (USA) before, any news?
For further chances of the team, it doesn't look so good.
Timo BOLL out with an eye problem; Dima OVTCHAROV got all of his luggage stolen. Even when replacements are delivered, the situation is less than ideal. Still, let's go to Rd. of 16 and then see what happens.

(women) :cryingbundeskrähe: vs :poland: 12:00 CET Tbl. 4
So that HAN Ying sadly is out with serious injury ... we have been reduced to middle of the pack.
Let's just see what happens.

Overview of upcoming matches
https://worldtabletennis.com/teamseventInfo?selectedTab=Schedule&eventId=2751
Hmm, any upcoming matches you have your eyes upon? If you have questions, we'll be happy to answer.

Where you can watch, YT live streams are here:
https://m.youtube.com/@WTTGlobal/streams
I hope it's not too much IP-blocked. Let's see when it goes live.

Happy to answer any questions here :)

Spin And Speed fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 16, 2024

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Spin And Speed posted:

Side question: I asked about Kanak JHA (USA) before, any news?

sorry, I only started watching 🏓 recently. what little i know about the sport comes from youtube and wikipedia haha.

Spin And Speed posted:

Timo BOLL out with an eye problem; Dima OVTCHAROV got all of his luggage stolen.

:stare: uh, what

anyway in lighter news, the china women's team lost 2 games to india but still won the match. that was kinda fun.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

qsvui posted:

sorry, I only started watching 🏓 recently.

I'm not 100% sure either but my reading is:
Guy (easily USA No. 1) misses 4 doping tests in a row, sentence is a 2 year ban.
OK bad enough but now he broke the ban by playing an exhibition for money (???) which supposedly leads to a harsher restriction.

But what exactly is it? Does it extend to the World Champs? Olympics?
That's why I'm asking.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

qsvui posted:

:stare: uh, what
For BOLL, "Iris inflammation" would be the medical term, the Internet tells me. Sucks. He should stay home.
For OVTCHAROV, he got replacements delivered. I think he'll survive :)

qsvui posted:

anyway in lighter news, the china women's team lost 2 games to india but still won the match. that was kinda fun.

* matches
But yeah I watched the first one, then fell asleep (loving timezones, how do they work),
Massively interesting result tho, as it showcases weaknesses in China's development direction. Might lead to a "correction of the training structure" or we.

Anyway, let's go watch GER vs. USA

e: now live here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBNs6uofVUE

Spin And Speed fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 16, 2024

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Spin And Speed posted:

For BOLL, "Iris inflammation" would be the medical term, the Internet tells me. Sucks. He should stay home.

that's too bad, he won that contender thing recently so he still seems like he's at the top level

qsvui fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2024

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
So, the group stage is over, shall we see how it went.

(Women)
The remarkable results here were:

- most unlucky: PUR: had their match against outsiders CUB, won 3-1.
But they had to watch MAS take the 3-2 win over ITA, which made the three equal in matches and games in the table. With only two to advance. In hindsight, I think PUR would not have wanted to give up that match to CUB, or even one single game. Since:
Turns out, PUR's 18:19 game balance counts less than the 19:20 of the other two.
Goodbye Puerto Rico.

- SGP beating SRB in a direct playoff duel.

- CRO advances but only because they get help from CZE beating UKR

Other teams, if you need to ask about them, ask.

(Men)

- Here comes the big drama with team USA.
As I mentioned before, No. 1 JHA is out due to a doping ban (that I still not fully understand).

Beginning of the team match, the situation is still looking ok, due to the previous surprise win of USA over ENG. So a win over KAZ would be enough, or even a narrow loss would suffice.
This is still a little bit dangerous, since the KAZ team makeup is as follows:
-- one world class player, Gerassimenko, who can always get his two points.
-- two guys who are really underdogs. But ok they have three chances to come through one time and the USA is toast. Little bit dangerous, US has to make sure to win against these outsiders, then there will be no problem.

Here is how it went.
First four matches: everything how it was expected. Gerassimenko wins for KAZ, the other for USA. Official score 2:2. All comes down for that one match now, right? RIGHT?

Nope.

Just when they were to start the deciding match - they cancelled the whole team event. Of course a lot of discussion was being had. Players vs. umpires vs. officials, you get the deal.

When the fog of war settled, it was found out:
LIANG's (USA #3) paddle was ruled to be illigitemate.
Thus his match being ruled an automatic loss.
Thus the score not being 2:2 but 3:1 for KAZ.

Double thus KAZ advances as No. 2, and USA is out. ENG is in, despite USA had beaten them.

- HUN beats BEL in a direct playoff duel 3-2.

Other teams, if you need to ask about them, ask.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
good write up, thanks

Spin And Speed posted:

LIANG's (USA #3) paddle was ruled to be illigitemate.

lol what happened here? why wasn't this found immediately and how'd they discover it so late? how do you even play with an illegal paddle and not know about it?

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

qsvui posted:

lol what happened here?

The violation was apparently "thickness of the rubber".
For these not in the know, the rule is: rubber must be 4.0mm or less.
There are (illegal) 'boosting substances' that make the rubber faster, but also thicker.
Everybody is doing it, nobody is talking about it. Openly, I mean.
So the trick is, apply max. booster without going over the 4.0mm.

Seems like LIANG failed that last clause.

qsvui posted:

why wasn't this found immediately and how'd they discover it so late?
There are before-match and after-match controls. If you look closely, at least on WC level, after the end of a match the players will leave their paddles on the table for the umpires to collect them.

Now this is pure speculation on my part, but hear me out:
Booster needs some time to 'seep into' the rubber. Plus more to blow it up.
If (again: speculation) the booster would be applied just before the match... it could very well be it passes the before-match test, then blow up during the match, thus failing the after-match test.

But you could come up with many different explanations here I guess...

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Spin And Speed posted:

There are (illegal) 'boosting substances' that make the rubber faster, but also thicker.
Everybody is doing it, nobody is talking about it. Openly, I mean.

wow, you can dope your racket? what a sport!

e: also, are they not showing the quarterfinals on youtube?

e2: looks like a french channel has it: https://www.youtube.com/RMCSport

qsvui fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 23, 2024

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i guess that french channel only streams french games. and it turns out that WTT is now geolocking their streams. wish i figured that out before missing a big chunk of the korea vs. denmark match :(

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

qsvui posted:

wow, you can dope your racket? what a sport!

e: also, are they not showing the quarterfinals on youtube?

e2: looks like a french channel has it: https://www.youtube.com/RMCSport

The difference between a Sriver L and a freshly glued Bryce FX is like a go kart to a spaceship, if you can control that poo poo.

I once played vs a regional pro player as 6yr TT novice, you never forget that impact, you can hardly block that.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

qsvui posted:

turns out that WTT is now geolocking their streams. wish i figured that out before missing a big chunk of the korea vs. denmark match
so which of these two countries are you from ;)

But yeah, WTT seems to bring a lot of payment barriers now :barf:.
I'm aware of some in JPN, FRA, KOR, and here in GER where it's also for ordinary league matches. It's why I watched relatively little of the WTC.

AutismVaccine posted:

The difference between a Sriver L and a freshly glued Bryce FX is like a go kart to a spaceship, if you can control that poo poo.

I once played vs a regional pro player as 6yr TT novice, you never forget that impact, you can hardly block that.

You still play? Because those two rubbers you mentioned are kinda... outdated. (but goon-age appropriate :cheeky:)

But I mean you are right. The massive differences are there, whether in the old fresh glue times or with the 'built-in effect' now.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Ok do we want to talk about some results now? Here are my opinions.

Titles
CHN win both, not surprising.
It was however close for both, which is surprising.
CHN men with a 3:2 vs. KOR in the semis, women 3:2 vs. JPN in the final.

Especially the latter might have started/worsened a rumble behind the scenes. Apparently there exists a power struggle between some "national team manager" (tr?) and the national coach regarding the question who should play for the team in No. 3. The coach lost. Might have some consequences before Paris even, let's see.

Also, after the men's final, the GOAT (MA Long) announced this was his last WC. Goodbye man :respek:. Whether he will play Olympics/CSL/Singles tournaments, no word on it yet.

(men) good performances
FRA in the final, TPE in the semis all with extremely young teams.
JPN as well, special shoutout to Sora MATSUSHIMA, who I find incredible for his age.
DEN reaching the QF is also cool.

For GER: We were... within the expectation.

(women) good performances
Well JPN for the finals performance obviously.
IND for their refreshing mix of styles, as mentioned before. But don't reduce this team just to this. Go watch some youth tournaments (these are not geolocked yet, lol) and you will see what I mean.
AFAICS everything else went as expected.

For GER: reached the QF easily, then had a 50:50 match vs. FRA, which we lost. OK see you next time then (in Paris :devil:).

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Spin And Speed posted:

I'm aware of some in JPN, FRA, KOR, and here in GER where it's also for ordinary league matches. It's why I watched relatively little of the WTC.

That's the thing, I'm in the US. The sport doesn't seem that popular here and I'm not aware of any domestic league. Changing my location to the Netherlands with a free VPN seemed to do the trick though.

Spin And Speed posted:

Ok do we want to talk about some results now? Here are my opinions.

Titles
CHN win both, not surprising.
It was however close for both, which is surprising.
CHN men with a 3:2 vs. KOR in the semis, women 3:2 vs. JPN in the final.

Especially the latter might have started/worsened a rumble behind the scenes. Apparently there exists a power struggle between some "national team manager" (tr?) and the national coach regarding the question who should play for the team in No. 3. The coach lost. Might have some consequences before Paris even, let's see.

I was expecting a 3-0 for China over Korea, but I guess the home crowd made a difference. That loss by Wang Chuqin was especially surprising.

The Chinese women's coach is Ma Lin right? Wang Yidi seemed to play consistently as their No. 3. If the coach lost this "power struggle", I guess Wang Manyu has to be next in the pecking order?

Speaking of the Japanese women, I thought Mima Ito was their No. 1? Surprised to see her being dropped in favor of Miwa Harimoto for the semis and final.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Spin And Speed posted:

You still play? Because those two rubbers you mentioned are kinda... outdated. (but goon-age appropriate :cheeky:)

But I mean you are right. The massive differences are there, whether in the old fresh glue times or with the 'built-in effect' now.

Nah, stopped playing around the time the build in effect rubber came to the market. I kinda changed clubs to play in the 3rd lowest league with a new team, but we kinda dissolved. TT is amazing, but i really sucked at reading the spin.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i dont like chuqin

at all

he's no fun

hope felix gets it together for the olympics

(and that alexis gets rid of chuqin in r64)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

extremely cool that timo did such a good run in singapore. imagine if he could represent germany in singles at the olympics

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
chuqin is a good lad who means well

timo still taking down youngsters at the age of 43 :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Didn't even know the ITTF World Cup was happening. I thought WTT took over all the international events? meh