Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and in 9 days I am going on a trip with him to Indonesia that he has dreamed of doing since he lived there in his 20s. Or was going on a trip with him, I should say. Yesterday someone burglarized his house and stole his passport among other things.

He managed to get an appointment at the passport agency up in Seattle on Monday, 8/21 which is four days before we leave that Friday 8/25.

My questions:
1. Given that Indonesia does not accept emergency passports, is it even possible to get a full-blown replacement passport on this timeline?
2. Is there any way to find out in advance which type of passport he would be receiving?
3. Are there any other options that I am not considering?

Any advice and/or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
You've lucked out by living near a passport office and being able to get an appointment. This is exactly the circumstance where yes, you should be able to get a full-validity passport basically immediately without breaking the bank, but you can only do it in person at a passport office. (Otherwise you'd have to do it through a third-party expeditor who's going to charge you like $1000 to middle-man a one-day issuance.)

If your dad didn't already file a police report, filing one and having a report number may be helpful in some way, but with proof of urgent travel he'll qualify regardless.

There's a bunch of useful information online from the Seattle Passport Office on the paperwork to make sure you have, where to park, and how much time to allow for getting through security. Appointments are hard to come by so definitely make sure you've got everything ready to go when you get there.

I've helped some friends and family deal with similar situations over the past year, and as long as you've got everything ready for your appointment it's easy peasy.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post; your validation that a full-blown passport is possible is a huge relief!