Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Does anybody have stories about strange things you've heard or seen in the wilderness? My only story is hearing some eery singing in the Florida forest in the middle of the night when I was a kid, camping there with my dad. But it happened so long ago it's more of a remembered memory at this point.

Obviously the existence of sasquatch, bigfoot, the swamp ape, Wendigo etc is far fetched, but I find the stories and evidence about them interesting. What's really crazy is the similarities between people's stories - the sound of "the howl", the bad smell, rocks being thrown, etc. Maybe it's just copycats hoaxing each other, but a lot of these people seem genuinely naive about cryptids until their first encounter with them. Who knows, it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

One time I saw the Pope taking a poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It was just deer OP

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've heard some unusual stuff; probably with rational explanations. There's a spot in Apache Sitgraves where they have a plaque about the mexican wolves they've reintroduced to the area and what you are and are not allowed to do to them. Nothing that weird. I really just saw it on luck because I had decided to pull off the main road to stretch for a bit and then maybe take a break, it was like 9 or 10 PM.

Then I heard something that like a cheap low budget alien film pulsing sound effect. And this went on for about 30 seconds, stopped, then happened again for another thirty seconds. This repeated a couple more times and then nothing.

I am pretty sure it wasn't a wolf. But maybe it was an elk? I saw a pack of them not too far before arriving. I've not been able to find an elk sound online that sounds like this though. Maybe some weird hunter tech thing? I have no clue what it was. But I did hear it again when I went back a few weeks later. After that the snowy season started and I wasn't able to get back there until the summer. No sounds like this though.

In the same park, but much farther away (only an hour or so outside of Clifton) I was in a tent with the rainfly off just looking at the stars. I'm trying to get comfortable camping but am not there yet, but I was at least having a very chill experience. Then I heard a very loud high pitched noise above me. It sounded like a very angry vulture. I couldn't see anything and although it was loud whatever it was clealry wasn't on the ground near me. This kept happening for a couple minutes and then it stopped. I'm guessing it was an owl of some sort, but it was more shrill than the owl that normally lives there, the mexican owl, is.

nokternl
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?
live in northwoods.. just last night heard a loon, the bird. they sound like a crazy human.. (thus the name?) knew what it was but non local friends were wtf was that.. explaining was fun cuz my drunk rear end had to specify its a like a duck not some random lunatic

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's this backcountry hike I like to do sometimes in a canyon in Colorado with this:

It's actually part of the bedrock, a seam of some different type of rock, not a glyph or scratching. It points up a little side canyon in the direction you need to go to not get cliffed out.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023
I do alot of thru hiking in the southeast US and this is by far the strangest thing I've ever seen. I went WAY off trail in Bankhead national forest looking for some nice photography spots since there are tons of lakes in there. I'm probably 30 miles from the trail and 50-60 miles from any kind of service road marked on a map. Its probably two hours from full dark and I'm already getting my tent set up. Plodding along comes this elderly asian man with no backpack, in a button-up shirt with khaki walking pants. No water, no food, no hat/headnet. Just a walking stick. I wave him over and we meet about halfway. I offered him some water and tried to see wtf he was doing. He just kept nodding and smiling and apparently didn't speak English. I signaled that he could stay in my camp for the night or use my garmin inreach to text or call someone. He just hand waved it away, took a few drinks of water then waved goodbye and took off. I watched him for a bit and tried to discern from the map where he might be going but he was just heading deeper into the park. I returned home about 2 days later and tried to searched the internet/police sites for stories about missing persons but never found anything.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does anybody have stories about strange things you've heard or seen in the wilderness?

In the late 1990s I was walking in a wooded area of Wisconsin one hot summer night. And very close by (probably within 50 feet) In the complete darkness I heard a noise like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkUxOiTwk2c It was really startling and I got out of the area ASAP.

If I'd had a bright flashlight and a big gun I might've investigated but I had neither and didn't want to risk a direct fight with a big cat or whatever it was.

If I include secondhand and thirdhand stories then I've heard all kinds of odd stuff about tree creatures and direct contact with aliens/paralyzing lights (mainly in the Alaskan wilderness). But I wasn't there so these people could've been under the influence of something or hallucinating.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Zogo posted:

In the late 1990s I was walking in a wooded area of Wisconsin one hot summer night. And very close by (probably within 50 feet) In the complete darkness I heard a noise like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkUxOiTwk2c It was really startling and I got out of the area ASAP.

If I'd had a bright flashlight and a big gun I might've investigated but I had neither and didn't want to risk a direct fight with a big cat or whatever it was.

If I include secondhand and thirdhand stories then I've heard all kinds of odd stuff about tree creatures and direct contact with aliens/paralyzing lights (mainly in the Alaskan wilderness). But I wasn't there so these people could've been under the influence of something or hallucinating.

Probably a bobcat but there have been the occasional mountain lion from SD/WY/MT/ETC that wanders east for no particular reason and ends up in the midwest or further.

Speaking of wooded areas of WI, I was camping in the middle of winter off the Ice Age Trail in a 3 sided shelter and got woken up to the sound of something hitting the side of the shelter. Fresh snow had fallen and there were no tracks anywhere around it, no limbs from trees close enough to hit it, whatever it was made a bigger noise than an acorn or pine cone or something that would have fallen and hit it would have. Tried to go back to sleep but it kept happening. Packed up and left in the middle of the night.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

charliebravo77 posted:

Packed up and left in the middle of the night.

You guys packing up and hiking out in the middle of the night are brave haha. I'm laying in my tent with my pistol in my hand wide awake until first light.

I also stopped going solo so much after some strange happenings. Hearing people walk through camp at 2 am, having someone "shadow" you on the trail all day then disappear when you are setting up camp. My strange things are usually people related.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure I haven't encountered anything real weird and I've hiked a lot. Things sure felt like they were getting weird after being up for 40 hours and a 34 mile hike shuffling through a forest with wind blowing the trees around me at night. Never wanted to get back to the trailhead as bad as that instance.

Actually now that I think about it there was one time where I went up a dry creek bed in the Canadian Rockies to see how far I could go. I hit some rocks a few feet tall after 4 miles that I could have climbed up but I thought I heard something on the other side and got this feeling to get the hell out of there. No idea what it was, or if there was anything there at all. Just a feeling of time to GTFO

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A number of years ago, I took a friend out mountain biking at a pretty popular local trail (Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, MD for those of you that know it. ) It was late summer and the time of our ride was late afternoon/early evening, so we had to make sure to hustle a bit to make it back to the car before it got too dark. While approaching a juncture between the trail system’s many loops, we saw some dudes taking a break. We stopped for a sec, chatted for a sec, and the guys told us that the cops were looking for a missing person in the park, and to call 911 if we saw an elderly guy wandering around on foot. We kept on riding, and about 15-20 minutes later, I notice someone standing in the woods about 15 feet off the trail. Elderly white guy, dressed in a white button-up shirt and black pants- not exactly hiking garb. I remember seeing him and thinking that nothing really seemed off about him (other than his outfit)- no vacant look in his eyes, nothing to indicate he was in distress. My friend stopped, and we called after him but he ignored us and kept walking deeper into the bushes as my friend called 911 and reported it. We made it back to the parking lot shortly thereafter and ran into a few local cops right at sunset, telling them what we’d seen as they headed off down the trail in that direction.

I was at work the next morning and had some time to kill, so I started looking into the story a bit. Found a story about a local man who had driven to work as normal, but apparently kept on driving. Some untold chain of events prompted his wife to report him as missing. The article had an accompanying photo, and it was the guy we’d seen the night before. I figured the searchers would want a confirmed location and time to confirm and narrow their search area, so I called the Germantown cops directly and got bounced from confused cop at one agency to confused cop at another agency, each of whom swore that they didn’t have jurisdiction over that search- the area around Washington, DC has a ton of overlapping law enforcement agencies. Finally I got ahold of someone who would take a report. I hung up, and later in the week I found out that they had recovered the guy’s body, seemingly not that far of wandering distance from where we encountered him.

I still think about that this sometimes, like what the chain of events was that drove this dude into the woods. Just a weird and kind of sad story; fortunately most all of the other times I’ve spent riding/hiking/camping have been pretty awesome and not creepy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pantslesswithwolves posted:

A number of years ago, I took a friend out mountain biking at a pretty popular local trail (Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, MD for those of you that know it. ) It was late summer and the time of our ride was late afternoon/early evening, so we had to make sure to hustle a bit to make it back to the car before it got too dark. While approaching a juncture between the trail system’s many loops, we saw some dudes taking a break. We stopped for a sec, chatted for a sec, and the guys told us that the cops were looking for a missing person in the park, and to call 911 if we saw an elderly guy wandering around on foot. We kept on riding, and about 15-20 minutes later, I notice someone standing in the woods about 15 feet off the trail. Elderly white guy, dressed in a white button-up shirt and black pants- not exactly hiking garb. I remember seeing him and thinking that nothing really seemed off about him (other than his outfit)- no vacant look in his eyes, nothing to indicate he was in distress. My friend stopped, and we called after him but he ignored us and kept walking deeper into the bushes as my friend called 911 and reported it. We made it back to the parking lot shortly thereafter and ran into a few local cops right at sunset, telling them what we’d seen as they headed off down the trail in that direction.

I was at work the next morning and had some time to kill, so I started looking into the story a bit. Found a story about a local man who had driven to work as normal, but apparently kept on driving. Some untold chain of events prompted his wife to report him as missing. The article had an accompanying photo, and it was the guy we’d seen the night before. I figured the searchers would want a confirmed location and time to confirm and narrow their search area, so I called the Germantown cops directly and got bounced from confused cop at one agency to confused cop at another agency, each of whom swore that they didn’t have jurisdiction over that search- the area around Washington, DC has a ton of overlapping law enforcement agencies. Finally I got ahold of someone who would take a report. I hung up, and later in the week I found out that they had recovered the guy’s body, seemingly not that far of wandering distance from where we encountered him.

I still think about that this sometimes, like what the chain of events was that drove this dude into the woods. Just a weird and kind of sad story; fortunately most all of the other times I’ve spent riding/hiking/camping have been pretty awesome and not creepy.

goddamn that's infuriating

acab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Man thats heavy