Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Coast to Coast AM used to be a pretty popular topic on these forums, there would be threads every Halloween for Ghost to Ghost and prank calls for the prediction's special. My personal favorite being in 2007 or so when a goon called in predicting a plane crash at a major pencil factory would cause supply shortages in American schools.

If you don't know what Coast to Coast AM is but clicked here for some reason: Coast to Coast AM is an overnight talk show started by Art Bell in the 80s. As time went on it became more and more of a paranormal talk show, and by the late 90s was almost exclusively about ghosts, UFOs, time travel, pseudoscience, etc. Art was a very weird character to say the least, retiring several times for various reasons until retiring from full time hosting for good at the end of 2002. George Noory took over the show from there with Art occasionally filling in and doing weekends until finally splitting with the show in 2010.

Since Art is dead and even longer gone from C2C, I don't see anyone talking about it, for good reason. Coast to Coast with George Noory is awful. George took the show more into the Alex Jones direction, and then also doubled down on New Age stuff, and while some of the other hosts like Ian could be fun it's not worth following the show.

But now is a golden age for Art Bell fans. Fan copies of shows have been online for years, but come and go. On top of a full archive of every 2004 show on Archive.org, there are two (or probably more) podcast feeds wherever you get your podcasts.

The Art Bell Archive is going chronologically through every show the uploader can find. They just hit 1997 and the Courtney Brown Comet Hale Bopp hoax episode.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-art-bell-archive/id1679032756

1997 might be the best year in the history of the show as on top of Hale Bopp, Mel's Hole begins in February, Mr Fidget pops up in the summer, Malachi Martin appears several times, the famous Area 51 Employee episode happens, among other things. On top of that, Bob Dole's candidacy had basically killed Art's interest in politics so there is far less political content from summer of 96 on.

The Art Bell Tape Vault is less active but was posting a variety of shows throughout the show's history, you can find compilations of Mel's Hole, the Hale Bopp Saga, every Ghost to Ghost, etc. Hugely underrated episode recommendation: Vampire open lines which gets started by listeners begging Art to re-read a fax someone sent in about a vampire prowling IRC rooms.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/art-bell-tape-vault/id1611966186

After giving up on the show when Art left I would come across an old archive every couple years and listen to a bunch, but never bother downloading everything so when it would go down I'd be sad until the next good one popped up. Now that people are just uploading it as podcasts it's even better. Hoping some of the people who used to listen are still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fantastic, thanks! noory's guests are awful and I miss bell talking about 90s politics, clinton and the new world order

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
“Art Bell Back in Time” is another good C2C podcast archive

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone got some sneaky rss links for those feeds above?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spedman posted:

“Art Bell Back in Time” is another good C2C podcast archive

I saw that but 1 episode at a time with everything else being on a $10 patreon was not too enticing. Just hard to compete with a bunch of people posting stuff for free.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The thing I have been most excited about with these 1997 shows is the Comet Hale Bopp fall out. I listened to a supercut of the Courtney Brown stuff last year but had never heard the other Coast characters weigh in on it. I enjoyed the post hoax reveal open lines, especially how many callers thought Courtney Brown was the victim of government misinformation... and ESPECIALLY the person who thought it was related to Courtney knowing the truth about TWA 800. But I got extra excited when on one of those shows Art announces Ed Dames will be on the show and wants to talk about Courtney Brown.

I was actually waiting like it was Christmas Eve for a loving 26 year old radio show to drop on a podcast feed, and it did not disappoint.

Ed is one of my least favorite guests, he's but he's so arrogant that I knew it would be good. He starts off by saying Courtney Brown ignored all of the rigorous remote viewing methods and a Technical Remote Viewer would have never made this mistake. He uses the opportunity to plug his new VHS training course and has a nice high and mighty rant. Art asks him if he can remote view who made the hoaxed photo and Ed says he can but Art needs to decide what he wants done first, that or finding some missing member of Iron Butterfly.

Then he talks about how something in the tail of Comet Hale Bopp will enter Earth's atmosphere and starting in equatorial Africa will destroy all green plant life on Earth, triggering an economic collapse that will begin in 1998. When Art asks his confidence in this prediction Ed says 100%.

Him coming on and making an even more ridiculous claim that Courtney Brown was even better than I imagined. I can't wait to see who else decides to double down before the Heaven's Gate suicides. And hell, I'm sure a few people will wade in after that too. In one of Mel Waters' later appearances he tries to allude to Marshall Applewhite having spent time in Ellensberg in relation to the hole.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

listening to the hale bopp stuff in order has been fascinating. having listened to c2c from that period in non-chronological order on sites like u7radio, I would have thought the saga would have occurred over years. but from the first show to the hoax reveal is what? like 2 or 3 months? and its also crazy how much art buys into the whole thing. he was certain something was going to happen. I wonder if getting burned on hale bopp led to him being more skeptical.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't think you understand his role on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

listening to the hale bopp stuff in order has been fascinating. having listened to c2c from that period in non-chronological order on sites like u7radio, I would have thought the saga would have occurred over years. but from the first show to the hoax reveal is what? like 2 or 3 months? and its also crazy how much art buys into the whole thing. he was certain something was going to happen. I wonder if getting burned on hale bopp led to him being more skeptical.

To answer your question you should listen to the first two Mel's Hole shows which have been uploaded and occured weeks after the Courtney Brown saga ended. (You can just listen to the last hour or so of each or find the Mel's Hole compilation that has been posted in a bunch of places)

There is some Hale Bopp talk well prior to the Chuck/Courtney nonsense, and more stuff after but yeah the primary saga is about 2.5 months. But now that Ed Dames decided to double down on Hale Bopp stupidity I bet someone else will too before the suicides.

Also it is important to keep in mind that Art is well liked while George is hated in part because Art was more skeptical and George is more credulous. But skeptical in the sense that yes the tiniest bit of evidence will get Art to buy into something.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 30, 2023