Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Prelude: Back in the early 2000s I got into rally and my dad was looking for a practical but fun daily. I recommended a WRX. Being in IT, he loved the idea and picked up a 40k mile 04 wagon.

Many years and 120k miles later, my dad was looking for something a little larger. I still had love for rally and well... turbo wagon. I bought it from him to have a fun daily and because I also have the sort of brain damage that made me think it would be a good idea to rallycross a daily. I got it, got an open-source tuner and proceeded to beat the ever-loving piss out of it for another 100k miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlffJK0dDTo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlffJK0dDTo
So, after a few timing belts, wheel bearings, other random Subaru bullshit, and around the same time as I was thinking I need to sell this loving thing, the motor pops. Spun a bearing on a long drive back home from thanksgiving in 2019. A smarter man, someone I aspire to perhaps be one day, would have just threw a junkyard motor in it and got it gone. That man was not and is not me. I saw a craigslist add for a cheap STi block and thought, aw hail. So here we are today.

Engine block has been machined and for the short block I have the following:
3MI Racing 300M rods with L19 bolts
Mahle PowerPak 4032 pistons
ACL bearings
ARP case bolts
ARP head studs
New STi nitride crank

Long block:
EJ255 single AVCs heads
IDX 1050 injectors
I haven't picked up a head gasket yet.
I need to pick an oil pump, leaning 11mm as I'm close to stock oil clearances.
I haven't decided on an oil pan or pickup.

Fuel system:
AEM fuel pump
I probably need to consider a regulator and or fuel rails.

Exhaust system:
EFR 6758 with twin scroll 0.8 A/R manifold.
Full race twin scroll manifold.
Blitz exhaust that I got years ago.

Intake side:
SPT hot air intake
Agency power rigid intake pipe
Process west top mount intercooler
TGV deletes

Engine management will be handled by a AEM infinity 508 ECU.

Body work/rest of car:
STi front fenders
STi scoop
JDM large fog front bumper
ABW wagon/sedan rear wide body fenders to match the Sti front fenders.
STi trans. rear diff, and brakes
And somehow managed to find some 5x100 fifteen52 turbomacs for sale locally.
I still need to get sedan rear doors and gas door as well as get the turbomacs powder coated gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
More background updates:
JUL 2020:
My stupid slow WRX Wagon rebuild is picking up a little steam.

First picked up an EJ255 that was in a minor engine fire (timing cover was a little bubbled in one location but that appears to be it.

Next I found a 05 STi trans for a good price.

But it didnt come with a shift linkage so I still need to source that.

Also found a stupid cheap JDM 03 STi rear end. Paid $160 for all of the below.

FEB 2021:
Quick and dirty design and print of a rod balancing rig for my build.

Block is mostly measured now, just to verify the machine shops work.

Up next is ring gapping then assembly of the short block should start soon.

AUG 2023:
Getting there slowly but surely. The shop that did the work didn’t think they did anything wrong on the crank, and at the end of the day I didn’t feel like spending 4 hours in the car to get them to re grind a lovely crank. Ordered a nitrided STi crank and as expected it’s beautiful.

Measurements seem good to me.
Crank to con rod oil clearance:
1. 0.0016”
2. 0.0015”
3. 0.0017”
4. 0.0013”

Con rod to wrist pin*:
1. 0.0008”
2. 0.0007”
3. 0.001”
4. 0.0011”
* Take these with a grain of salt. Measurements were done with snap gauges and I’m not a machinist.

Piston to wall:
1. 0.0033”
2. 0.0032”
3. 0.0036”
4. 0.0032”

I’m not crazy about the piston to wall numbers but they’re close enough to mahle’s max of 0.003” but not far enough out to give me heart burn.

TODAY:
I have everything measured, ill post what im expecting to be the final rotating assembly masses, clearances etc as I get some more time. Im about ready to join the case halves but work and life keep getting in the way.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Nice, goon speed. Glad I wandered out of my bookmarks today.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you put sedan fenders on a wagon, you're going to probably want the sedan control arms, too. Sedans have a wider track in the 02-07 era, and I think you are stuck with STI sedan front axles anyway, so...

I want to say the clevis tabs on the struts are also narrower on the wagon, but now I can't remember for sure.

Probably same deal with lateral links in the back, which thankfully it seems you have.

Good car. Good choice.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 22, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Depends on the year. Earlier STI witht he 5*100 still has a lot in common with later for example 06 WRX, which also means you can do a hybrid that mixes STI and WRX.

The rear of the 03 I believe is the same ear width as 5*100 so it should hook in and the hubs will bolt to the lateral links. Front can be a hybrid as well.