Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

apparently not the case in the uk

No it quite literally is - the issue in the UK is libel laws put onus on the person making the claim to prove it to an evidentiary standard. In the usa its the other way around, its on the claimant to prove that the libel was both malicious and knowingly false.

If you say "the prime minister was drunk and embarrassing to the nation" you would be expected to provide evidence of a medical standard proving a blood alcohol content that a suitably informed layman would consider drunk. This is obviously impossible in most cases. Same with repotting on celebrity drug usage, etc.

"Honest opinion" is a defence but only if its not criminal libelor clearly phrased as an editor opinion or similar. Its also why we have a bunch of stock phrases which are layman's terms for the act but plausibly deniable. "Tired and emotional" or variants thereof are well known to be referencing that someome was a drunk pissant and acting like a moron because of it, for instance.

This is a double edged sword. If someone makes a suitably outrageous claim, for instance that the former prime minister david cameron hosed a dead pigs head at university, thats the sort of thing our libel laws would be very easy to win substantial damages with... Unless of course the person the claim was about knew evidence existed that would make them lose their own libel case in court and then have to pay court costs, and hence would not sue... Proving the claims essentially true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hammerite posted:

I don't really like this practice of doing "victim impact statements" in the case of a murder (or manslaughter, basically anything where the victim dies). like if the crime for which the person is being sentenced is say, a robbery or assault or something, then fair enough. But I don't like that this is done in the case where the victim per se is dead, for two reasons.

1. I think it should be accepted as a matter of course that a human life matters - regardless of who the person is - and this doesn't vary according to whether someone shows up to say how the loss of that person has affected them, or how much they'll be missed or etc.
2. it seems to imply that if someone dies and they don't have anyone who is moved enough to make a "victim impact statement", it doesn't matter so much, or it might be treated as not mattering so much*. While that scenario might be rare/unlikely it seems pretty offensive to me (see 1)

that's all very well unless you have a convicted defendant who already knows they're getting the harshest sentence the law can provide

the impact statements should come from the real victims, the cops who have suffered infringement of their monopoly on violence

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Halisnacks posted:

As it is, with the victims able to make their statements to the court, no it’s not retributive. If the convicted were forced to listen to the statements as part of their punishment, yes I would say that would be retribution.

it would be barbarous of us to make the baby butcher listen to the families of those babies, you are right. we must look beyond such cruelty

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I don’t think it would be barbarous or even over some commonsense line. It just would be a form of retribution. But I checked and apparently one of the aims of the U.K. justice system is in fact retribution (or, providing reparations to victims), so yeah now I don’t know what principle they were adhering to in not forcing her to attend.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

cumpantry posted:

it would be barbarous of us to make the baby butcher listen to the families of those babies, you are right. we must look beyond such cruelty

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Drone_Fragger posted:

No it quite literally is - the issue in the UK is libel laws put onus on the person making the claim to prove it to an evidentiary standard. In the usa its the other way around, its on the claimant to prove that the libel was both malicious and knowingly false.

If you say "the prime minister was drunk and embarrassing to the nation" you would be expected to provide evidence of a medical standard proving a blood alcohol content that a suitably informed layman would consider drunk. This is obviously impossible in most cases. Same with repotting on celebrity drug usage, etc.

"Honest opinion" is a defence but only if its not criminal libelor clearly phrased as an editor opinion or similar. Its also why we have a bunch of stock phrases which are layman's terms for the act but plausibly deniable. "Tired and emotional" or variants thereof are well known to be referencing that someome was a drunk pissant and acting like a moron because of it, for instance.

This is a double edged sword. If someone makes a suitably outrageous claim, for instance that the former prime minister david cameron hosed a dead pigs head at university, thats the sort of thing our libel laws would be very easy to win substantial damages with... Unless of course the person the claim was about knew evidence existed that would make them lose their own libel case in court and then have to pay court costs, and hence would not sue... Proving the claims essentially true.

thats kinda neat, thanks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm down for victim impact statements but only if a really dry royal economist, just a very royal fat Ben Stein, is rolled into the court room and allowed to read a 4 hour report on the economic damage to the Crown that is afforded to the calculus of all these babies not being able to grow up and pay taxes to the King. Thoroughly sourced and footnoted and read verbatim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

zedprime posted:

I'm down for victim impact statements but only if a really dry royal economist, just a very royal fat Ben Stein, is rolled into the court room and allowed to read a 4 hour report on the economic damage to the Crown that is afforded to the calculus of all these babies not being able to grow up and pay taxes to the King. Thoroughly sourced and footnoted and read verbatim.

It should be Gilbert Gottfried doing this but this cruel baby killing world won’t even give us that.