Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

watho posted:

possibly, wouldn't surprise me considering the rest of peele's output, but also the masks are almost identical to the film canisters on the cameras during the sitcom disaster

Oh yeah, it's v obvious the 'alien' costumes seem to be barely modified chimp costumes, but they also look just like the cameras used on the Gordy's Home set. Funny thing is they also strongly resemble a barn owl's face, and iirc the owls are also a motif especially for Jean Jacket; a predator that flies silently, hunts at night, swallows its prey whole and regurgitates what it can't digest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Rad-daddio posted:

Nope was fun, but I'm way too dense to pick up on all the deep symbolism. It was just a fun movie with some UFO/scifi type themes and a chimp that wrecked people in the flashbacks.

Also, that electric motorbike that the TMZ guy had was pretty loving cool.

In my humble opinion these are the best kind of horror movies. Enjoyable just for the story and characters, but there's much deeper stuff that's fun to think about afterwards and catch on rewatches.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Fancy Hat posted:

In my humble opinion these are the best kind of horror movies. Enjoyable just for the story and characters, but there's much deeper stuff that's fun to think about afterwards and catch on rewatches.

It's the same principle as Robocop. There's so much going on, and it's also a great watch at the shallowest levels.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Convex posted:

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed them, here are a few others:

The New Breed
Trial By Fire
Deja Vu (yes that is kevin nealon)
Inconstant Moon

Thanks for additional recs, holding off on Sandkings as I’ve read the short story & while it’s excellent and I’m sure the ep is good at the moment looking for new stuff.

The New Breed- that was effective they took the body horror in unexpected directions. Interesting how the lead scientist wasn’t a total jackass. Definitely felt like the Futurama with worms.

Trial By Fire- another winner they did good work showing how the president had limited information and lost his nerve. Wonder if meant to be similar to Cuban missile crisis where if JFK had listened to the military could have been nuclear war? I liked how if the president did nothing he’d have won.

Deja Vu (yes that is kevin nealon) this was good although not top tier, Nealon is ok but didn’t come across as a scientist very well, like Stargate trying to make French Stewart a military strongman. Always fun to see Ronny Cox. I liked the ending & of being eternally caught in a time loop without enough time to do anything felt like the movie The Endless.

Inconstant Moon: ok this is my new favorite episode. Very glad they stuck to the premise without a cop out & I liked the idea of the main character just being a guy forced to figure out how what he thinks will be the last eight hours of his life. It was great tv where the audience doesn’t know if the world is ending either & it’s not until the weather gets horrific that we and the character know for sure.

It was good he didn’t make all the right decisions & how Leslie had agency and yelled at him for not giving her the freedom to decide how to spend her last hours alive, & how they showed standing too close to a window can be life and death in an emergency. Oddly hopeful ending despite the flooding, great stuff.

Thanks again for recs if you got any more please send em over

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thanks for additional recs, holding off on Sandkings as I’ve read the short story & while it’s excellent and I’m sure the ep is good at the moment looking for new stuff.

The New Breed- that was effective they took the body horror in unexpected directions. Interesting how the lead scientist wasn’t a total jackass. Definitely felt like the Futurama with worms.

Trial By Fire- another winner they did good work showing how the president had limited information and lost his nerve. Wonder if meant to be similar to Cuban missile crisis where if JFK had listened to the military could have been nuclear war? I liked how if the president did nothing he’d have won.

Deja Vu (yes that is kevin nealon) this was good although not top tier, Nealon is ok but didn’t come across as a scientist very well, like Stargate trying to make French Stewart a military strongman. Always fun to see Ronny Cox. I liked the ending & of being eternally caught in a time loop without enough time to do anything felt like the movie The Endless.

Inconstant Moon: ok this is my new favorite episode. Very glad they stuck to the premise without a cop out & I liked the idea of the main character just being a guy forced to figure out how what he thinks will be the last eight hours of his life. It was great tv where the audience doesn’t know if the world is ending either & it’s not until the weather gets horrific that we and the character know for sure.

It was good he didn’t make all the right decisions & how Leslie had agency and yelled at him for not giving her the freedom to decide how to spend her last hours alive, & how they showed standing too close to a window can be life and death in an emergency. Oddly hopeful ending despite the flooding, great stuff.

Thanks again for recs if you got any more please send em over

Glad you liked them! Deju Vu was mainly memorable for the ending. I think Ronny Cox must have a thing for his characters meeting terrible ends!

Some more:

Mind over Matter
Straight and Narrow
Afterlife
Tribunal
From Within

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 3, 2023

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The one thing I don't get about Nope is what's the deal with the upright shoe? it doesn't make any sense.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Call Your Grandma posted:

The one thing I don't get about Nope is what's the deal with the upright shoe? it doesn't make any sense.

What do you want the shoe to mean?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's a bad miracle, an event of freak chance like the coin falling in Keith David's eye, or the mantis sticking to the camera just in time to block the view. With the camera being Ricky's POV in the Gordy's Home scene it's also the implication that the chimp didn't attack him because he was staring at the shoe and not making direct eye contact.

That theme pretty much boils down to 'sometimes weird poo poo just happens', with some implication that people read too much into it and think it has to have some kind of meaning. Ricky desperately tries to make some meaning out of the tragedy he miraculously escaped unscathed from (physically at least) and learns all the wrong lessons.

ed: On a loosely related note, I love that what we see of Gordy's Home is stupid as hell, it's basically Big Bang Theory but with a chimp. All the risk and tragedy for what amounts to a gimmick sitcom that's mostly remembered just for the lurid violent tragedy resulting from it.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 4, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I really loved the "oh no but science!" Eps of Outer Limits 90s. The New Breed was the one that really hooked me, I think.

Some other decent ones:

Relativity Theory
Simon Says
Patient Zero (cheap 12 Monkeys)
A Stitch in time
Heart's Desire
Abduction (so 90s it hurts)
Bits of Love
Decompression
Music of the Spheres
Double Helix and its follow up (young Ryan Reynolds!)
Stream of Consciousness

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I really loved the "oh no but science!" Eps of Outer Limits 90s. The New Breed was the one that really hooked me, I think.

Some other decent ones:

Relativity Theory
Simon Says
Patient Zero (cheap 12 Monkeys)
A Stitch in time
Heart's Desire
Abduction (so 90s it hurts)
Bits of Love
Decompression
Music of the Spheres
Double Helix and its follow up (young Ryan Reynolds!)
Stream of Consciousness

Hell yeah. Decompression is great

A Stitch In Time is also really good. I love how the ending implies that the exact same thing is going to happen again, only with the roles reversed

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Call Your Grandma posted:

I thought it was supposed to be just a coincidence that the dude thought was some sign

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kawalimus posted:

I thought it was supposed to be just a coincidence that the dude thought was some sign

That's kinda literally the point, yeah. It's a total freak accident in the middle of a horrific disaster, that catches Ricky's attention and leads him to assign it some unknown special qualities. Ricky thinks as a result he has some kind of special bond with nonhuman intelligences, basically catching a case of Protagonist Syndrome, which ends up horribly and is contrasted with OJ and Em who do actually understand and respect the nature of animals.

Ironically or maybe fittingly for a movie with so much symbolism, one of the key themes is indeed that sometimes weird cool poo poo just happens by freak chance and doesn't really mean anything beyond what people ascribe to it.

Also came to mind that the two most prominent horses in the movie, Lucky and Ghost, are a black horse and a white horse, and wondering if there's much meaning to that. Probably, but also might well be that the Haywood ranch is specifically a showbiz horse training business, and they probably make a point of picking and training horses that are interesting looking and more likely to catch the eye of a producer, or fit the requests made for a performing animal.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Actually the message is monkeys gonna gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

Actually the message is monkeys gonna gently caress you up.

Unironically this