Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Problem description: I run three displays. Some game soft (that I used to run on an older machine) requires a vertically oriented portrait primary monitor, so in preparation to play said game on a new machine, I switched a monitor that rotates to primary and rotated it into portrait. On running the game, it crashed while booting and I noticed the fans were going nuts, so I rebooted. Now it goes full blast right when windows starts. Task manager shows 100 percent cpu in the performance tab, but nothing in the processes window is outputting high usage numbers. Also, there might have been pending windows updates since last reboot.

Bios shows cpu temp hovering at 54 when booting and it goes to 60 and stays there. Hwinfo shows all the cores reaching around 90c when it boots into windows. I'm not sure if the game I was trying to run hosed something up, windows 11 is causing problems, or if my AIO cooler just decided to coincidentally die right at this moment (after about 3 1/2 months), or if it's some other bullshit. The PC still was running fine (obv didn't try running any cpu intensive processes, just browsing and opening discord, etc) albeit at 90 degrees and 100 percent cpu, but I decided to power it down after about 10 min.

Attempted fixes: I returned all my display settings to how they were before, and checked the tower for any obvious problems. The radiator for the cooler is venting out the top, and seemed really hot. Again, I don't know if this is the cause or the symptom. I will power it on again soon to see if anything has changed.

Recent changes: I described the exact sequence in the problem section. The only things I can really think of are pending window updates, and switching primary monitors. No hardware modifications.

--

Operating system: Win 11 pro (this was prob a mistake, windows 11 seems to indeed blow chunks)

System specs: Ryzen 7950x, rtx 4090, deepcool LT720 360mm AIO, lian li lancool iii case, Asus prime x670e pro wifi, those are the things that should matter.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Comp is still having the same issue after leaving it off for a while, tried a clean boot. Here is some Hwinfo:

https://imgur.com/a/AJw2c5Q

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ok, so after trying various things such as scanning for malware, reinstalling the graphics drivers, adjusting power settings, etc, the solution in this random reddit thread worked for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/t7lrkp/clean_install_of_windows_11_permanently_100_cpu/

Anyone know what would cause this issue to happen so I can avoid it in the future? Was it something to do with the game software I ran messing with idle settings?