Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

My niece found this bone out on a picnic. She sent pics asking me to ID them.

Possibly an Australian native? I don't think it's part of a BBQ chicken.

Anyone?

:shrug:

Edit : It's a seashell. Nothing of note to see here (not that there really was anyway).

The first line of questioning I should have thought of was "Is it even in fact a bone?"

Blow fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Not an osteologist, but from some quick Google Image searches I'd say maybe a small animal's clavicle or a carved out seashell seem like decent bets.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ILL SHOW YOU MY BONE *whIPS IT OUT*. Hold on it's stuck. Yes it's all the way out. NO LAUGHING AT ME.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
that's an orchid
that's pasta
that's a boot, for a very small cowboy

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Canine humerus?

Doesn’t look like it’s a feline humerus, but I didn’t look up every 4 legged mammal that lives in Australia.

Bored fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 21, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not an osteologist, but from some quick Google Image searches I'd say maybe a small animal's clavicle or a carved out seashell seem like decent bets.

I took her word for it that it was a bone, but she was near the beach, and it looks more like a seashell that's been eroded over a long time now that you say that.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, looks like part of the inner spiral of a large sea snail shell.

Wee fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 21, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Wee posted:

Yeah, looks like part of the inner spiral of a large sea snail shell.

A Columella it would appear.

:hfive:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Perhaps from one of these?

* Syrinx aruanus, common name the Australian trumpet or false trumpet, is a species of extremely large sea snail measuring up to 91 cm long and weighing up to 18 kg.

* This is the largest extant snail (shelled gastropod) species in the world, and arguably the largest (heaviest) gastropod in the world.

* This species occurs in the northern half of Australia and adjacent areas, including eastern Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.

Adds up.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Bored posted:

Canine humerus?

Doesn’t look like it’s a feline humerus, but I didn’t look up every 4 legged mammal that lives in Australia.

Update us once you do

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Alien dick bone (probably from a Grey). A seashell? That's what they want you to think.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

The Bramble posted:

Update us once you do

Naw.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

My wife examined my bone last night if you know what I mean (I mean she’s a urologist)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

My wife examined my bone last night if you know what I mean (I mean she’s a urologist)

So did you get an answer on what those bumps are?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a boner of thread

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blow posted:

I took her word for it that it was a bone, but she was near the beach, and it looks more like a seashell that's been eroded over a long time now that you say that.

Cool. As bad as Google search in general has become, image search can still be useful. :peanut:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thinkin about bonered wings for lunchy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

gonna have some shell-in eggs

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

hell yes I am a bone scientist

I specialize in your mom

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

Someone on the beach is really good at sucking the meat off a chicken wing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Quick, someone get that chiropractor who couldn't tell a dog spine from a people spine!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BigBadSteve posted:

Alien dick bone (probably from a Grey). A seashell? That's what they want you to think.

The aliens have penis bones that disintegrate when they die, it's a failsafe genetic trigger so no one can examine their genitals after death. It's about dignity.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I have possession of the "bone".

Now for some science (measurement) in this thread.

:science:

Length = 42

Mass = 69

So yeah, it's quite heavy. Far denser than bone. Feels more like a polished stone. Being tumbled on the shoreline for thousands(?) of years will do that I suppose.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
You could always follow the advice of my old boss and lick it to try to identify it. This was at a rock and gem shop you perverts

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Thanks for this btw.

:)

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Secks Cauldron posted:

You could always follow the advice of my old boss and lick it to try to identify it. This was at a rock and gem shop you perverts

I have heard of licking stones before in the gold and/or opal mining business.

Brings out the lustre I suppose.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Blow posted:

I have heard of licking stones before in the gold and/or opal mining business.

Brings out the lustre I suppose.
And apparently it gives you enough information to tell a stone from fossilized poop

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Blow posted:

I have possession of the "bone".

Now for some science (measurement) in this thread.

:science:

Length = 42

Mass = 69

So yeah, it's quite heavy. Far denser than bone. Feels more like a polished stone. Being tumbled on the shoreline for thousands(?) of years will do that I suppose.

Length: 42.0
Mass: 69

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

That’s the inside of a human penis

hth