Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Foley told a story on a Colt Cabana Art of Wrestling live show from April this year about wrestling on indies in Japan with Funk.

They have a wild match in front of 150 people at a freezing gym in a small town, and Foley says he takes a beating, gets pinned, and is out selling on the mat when he hears a faint “Cactus…” raise up.

It’s Funk. “Cactus…Respect…Respect.” They crawl to one another and pull each other up. Showing respect. Crowd loves it in that Japanese crowd way. Foley gives him a hug. Funk whispers in his ear…

“Piledrive me.”

Foley says he blinks for a moment then hits Funk with a piledriver, and the crowd flips like that. What a sense for working the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

i was reading tod gordons book (Tod is God lmao) and he had a funny story of Terry backstage in ecw giving some injured kid a lesson. The younger wrestler has some issue with his neck and Terry was urging him to get it looked it. The younger dude said he has no insurance so he cant pay. Terry says no problem ill teach you the rental car plan. Get a rental car and get the highest level of insurance they have this will cost you 50 bucks tops. Then immediately drive that fucker right into a stop sign and get out holding your neck.

the ultimate worker

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

For years, all I knew about Funk was what Mick Foley said in his book, and that was enough. God love you, Terry Funk. You were more than a man.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

i was reading tod gordons book (Tod is God lmao) and he had a funny story of Terry backstage in ecw giving some injured kid a lesson. The younger wrestler has some issue with his neck and Terry was urging him to get it looked it. The younger dude said he has no insurance so he cant pay. Terry says no problem ill teach you the rental car plan. Get a rental car and get the highest level of insurance they have this will cost you 50 bucks tops. Then immediately drive that fucker right into a stop sign and get out holding your neck.

harperdc posted:

Foley told a story on a Colt Cabana Art of Wrestling live show from April this year about wrestling on indies in Japan with Funk.

They have a wild match in front of 150 people at a freezing gym in a small town, and Foley says he takes a beating, gets pinned, and is out selling on the mat when he hears a faint “Cactus…” raise up.

It’s Funk. “Cactus…Respect…Respect.” They crawl to one another and pull each other up. Showing respect. Crowd loves it in that Japanese crowd way. Foley gives him a hug. Funk whispers in his ear…

“Piledrive me.”

Foley says he blinks for a moment then hits Funk with a piledriver, and the crowd flips like that. What a sense for working the crowd.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the ultimate worker

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Miching Mallecho posted:

But god drat, he had that thing about him. I just wanted to see more of him. Him and mick beating the outlaws at mania was so nice too.
This one hurts a lot. :smith:
I guess today is the day I realize foley is younger than billy gunn

TL posted:

Terry and Mick Foley had a great falls count anywhere match on Raw in the buildup to Over the Edge in 98, and that was my first real exposure to this crazy old man.
mick foley today is only five years older than when funk did that match in 1998. chris jericho today isn't as old as when funk did that match!

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 26, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Thank you, ditch. I loved your site back in the day, really good stuff.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

One of the great things about the FCA match to set up Dude Love/Austin at OTE was that Austin is on commentary, and like halfway through Lawler is trying to (likely under Vince’s direction) get Austin to talk about some other aspect of the angle, and Austin is just like “we got these two sumbitches raising hell and having a helluva match and you wanna talk about that bullcrap, watch the match, King!” because Austin is just loving glued to the monitor watching these two work and loving every moment of it. Terry Funk and Mick Foley had the biggest star in wrestling marking out for them. loving legends.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/PharrFromHeaven/status/1698244291712229499?t=Lk1DMw-E2mB9XPqRDIROyw&s=19

Terry doing more to look after guys than WCW would

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
That reminds me of the ECW hotels where there were like four rooms filled with people who drank, people who smoked pot, people who did the harder drugs, and then Funk putting up Foley and anyone else who didn't fit in

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:bignews: I know, but goddamn Terry Funk ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I first saw Terry Funk when he was in the WWF during the mid-1980s, when he mainly feuded with JYD and "branded" jobbers with his branding iron. Later, when I started getting more into wrestling, I read the Apter mags and learned a lot about Funk's history as a former NWA champion and so on.

But it wasn't until his 1989 feud with Flair that I got to see just how truly great Funk was, and it's that feud that sticks in my mind the most. Everything he did afterwards (especially helping put ECW on the map) was great, but that Flair feud was what cemented him in my mind as one of the greatest of all time.

Here's a little highlights vid of their Great American Bash match that I found on YouTube, but the whole match is absolutely worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1NkA4-KaG0