Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kmsorter
Jun 3, 2023

Hog Fell on Me posted:

I've often wondered how my username (from a long-ago name change thread) might be interpreted by artistic goons. Anyone who feels inspired, please, have at it!

I don't know if I'd describe myself as artistic, but this is what I made!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know what "hmm where did I leave that plane" means, but I hope this is a good match for it

At this point I don’t remember what it means either. But your drawing suits it well.

Thanks.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

thanks. Its sorta gross and makes me imagine awful things which matches my posting

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tree Bucket posted:

Just chillin in my giant floating coffee mug, all is well, really

I’ll take this, unless someone has one made specifically for me coming up. I appreciate it!

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Is this okay?

This is awesome! Thanks!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Top of page 4 folks updated!

Looks like we have 8 people to be created for if anyone wants to take a crack!

ImperfectTense
Sep 12, 2017
My new avatar is wonderful, thank you!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ImperfectTense posted:

My new avatar is wonderful, thank you!

Glad you like it!
(hope you're also a fan of Mr Darcy from the 1995 adaptation of Pride & Prejudice)

Bored posted:

gently caress! I started a tiny painting for Farten Barfen, probably after you posted yours. Well now I don’t gotta finish it :)

I really hope someone grabs this, because it is legit beautiful and makes me feel unspecified emotions. Despite being a cat doing the worst things.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 28, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

To make things easier, here’s what I can offer: I am from Michigan, and love the state enough to make a thread about camping in all of its State Parks. I am from the Upper Peninsula of said state, and have regional slurs for the peninsula in which I now live (beyond Troll, there is Appleknocker and Flatlander, plus a secret one I won’t share here).

I like scotches, watches and cars. I like camping (obviously) board games, RPGs, and street art/graffiti. I also have a stupid username.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I don't know if this suits the vibe you're going for, but it's a Michigan lighthouse. Otherwise someone else can claim it if they want.

Ironhead posted:

These threads always turn out some great poo poo. I don't know how I've gone this long without an av. Go on and hit me.

Depends how literal you're being, I guess?

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 28, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

this is fantastic

megane
Jun 20, 2008

bloodsurf posted:

Can I get one? I like Star Trek, but I would be grateful for anything at all.

based on this picture of her

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Bored posted:

gently caress! I started a tiny painting for Farten Barfen, probably after you posted yours. Well now I don’t gotta finish it :)

This is so cool. Is it ok if I crop it to avatar and use it for someone?

5 Folks left to avatar if anyone wants to draw!

There are also a lot of people who still had the old html radium newbie avatar link as I was changing them. That's some powerful stupid newbie avatar holding out :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
To give some useful direction from the really vague post I made, I'd be down for anything creatively weird or experimental. Subject matter is still open ended but, discworld, space/sci-fi, puns, baseball, and star wars are always evergreen for me.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Tree Bucket posted:

Haha this is loving amazing, and it is always a treat to see your art in the comics thread and others.

For the record, when my account was bought for me I was a young college student riding an old Ironhead Harley and that's where the name came from. But I am loving this interpretation.

Edit:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I also have a stupid username.

My man, if you don't end up with some weird kawaii lunchable wearing a stethoscope I will be seriously bummed out.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 28, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I made some avatars from graffiti a while ago from the graffiti thread, if anyone wants some street art as theirs.

Tree Bucket posted:

lol

Edit: Also I have a terrible idea for a thirsty buck, so I can only apologize if I inadvertently post it.

itry fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 28, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Athanatos posted:

This is so cool. Is it ok if I crop it to avatar and use it for someone?

Absolutely

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know if this suits the vibe you're going for, but it's a Michigan lighthouse. Otherwise someone else can claim it if they want.

Hell yes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Macatt posted:

I think 18 years is long enough to have kept the newbie avatar. Please and thank you! :)

These both turned out okay, and on the plus side, absolutely no one else could use them! Although it might be a bit flashy for the epilepsy folks.

itry posted:

I made some avatars from graffiti a while ago from the graffiti thread, if anyone wants some street art as theirs.

Someone had better grab that graffiti guitar guy, cos he's fantastic.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

itry posted:

lol

Tree Bucket posted:

Someone had better grab that graffiti guitar guy, cos he's fantastic.

dibs

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I like it, and enjoy that the one that was used is easier to look at was also slowed down.
Double plus good ava.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think that is everyone!

Much love to all the artists and folks submitting things. Also thanks to the willing people who have no idea what kind of stuff they would end up with.

I'm going to leave this open a while incase someone notices something amiss. Missing gang tag, not centered, forgot text. Let me know asap and I can make sure I set it right. I only messed up the tags a few times and had to quickly correct it before anyone saw :tinfoil:

Get out there and post with your new avatars and show off the talent this dumb webzone forum has.

Grey Cat posted:

I like it, and enjoy that the one that was used is easier to look at was also slowed down.
Double plus good ava.

I dropped it a few more frames slower yeah. I like picking a row and watching it go. I am easy to entertain I think.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Athanatos posted:

I dropped it a few more frames slower yeah. I like picking a row and watching it go. I am easy to entertain I think.

Was definitely a good call.
Being easily entertained is really not a bad problem to have usually.

I look forward to seeing these avs in the wild.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the semiabstract painting of the cat shidding and ralphing is amazing

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Athanatos posted:

I'm going to leave this open a while incase someone notices something amiss..

Can you drop the :ohdear: and blank my title? Grey Cat's version supercedes it in every way and the smiley just distracts from perfection.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cactus Ghost posted:

the semiabstract painting of the cat shidding and ralphing is amazing

At first I thought it was an american opossum with an okami flair and now I really want to see that.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks again for the new avatar!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How is this thread not gold yet?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Dameius posted:

At first I thought it was an american opossum with an okami flair and now I really want to see that.

Well, now I have something else to make with my dead brushes. Seriously, I need to just buy in bulk once I find a grown up job.

Hog Fell on Me
Apr 11, 2006

The art of war is simple enough.
Love it! Gonna enjoy watching that little guy get squished all the time now. Thanks for taking the time!

bloodsurf
Sep 20, 2006

megane posted:

Yes! This is perfect. Thank you!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Bored posted:

Thank you! Quite apropos of my username, anyway!

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 28, 2023

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

megane posted:

Can I ask how you did this? It's gorgeous, but me just trying to use standard gimp filters just leads to this

which, uh idk?

E; Source image

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Long shot, but I'd like to request an av of Matt Berry as Harrier "Harry" Du Bois. Or a Disco Elysium skill that didn't make the cut. Please and thank you.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

heard u like girls posted:

Can I ask how you did this?
Sure!

• Base image. I flipped her around so she can be threatening our posts with the knife.
  • I painted some flat color on the background, because it's very easy to lose the edge when things of similar color are next to each other - that red wall and her top were definitely going to blend together, so I made sure to grab the edge while I could see it. Then I used Curves to increase the contrast a lot; probably should have gone even further. I kept this version on a layer the whole rest of the time so I could reference it.
  • I grabbed a few key colors and made a palette of them (there's an "add to palette" option on the eyedropper). Black for the hair, red, a few skin tones. In this case I ended up with 9. Then I converted to indexed using the palette -> back to RGB -> copy -> undo twice -> paste. So now I have this palettized version on one layer and the full-color one from step 2 on another.
  • Initial cleanup. Cutting out the background was made easier because of the prep in step 2. The hair highlights didn't survive well enough, so I went back to the step-2 layer and used the select-by-color tool with a higher threshold and... I think HSV Value? to grab a bigger area.
  • Here's where all the work is - I just went through the whole thing by hand and cleaned everything up. For some areas, I just had to catch a few stray pixels that are the wrong color. Others need serious reconstruction, like the cheeks. The key is to swap back and forth between the layer you're working on and the reference layer from step 2, focus on pulling out key edges, and wipe out messy noise that detracts from the look. Some bits are mostly created from whole cloth, too, like the earrings; there's no way I'm picking the original details out in a way that looks good, so I just Did Pixel Art at it. This step took me... probably two hours?
  • Finally, I redid the palette. A nicer purple for the background, a better match for her skin tone, a slightly bluer grey, and I shifted the flat black to a dark purple to align with the background. Then I added a few details in areas that seemed flat or hard to see, like the little rim light on the knife.

megane fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 29, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

itry posted:

Edit: Also I have a terrible idea for a thirsty buck, so I can only apologize if I inadvertently post it.

Terrible good or terrible bad?!

I have been hit up!

Macatt
May 3, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

These both turned out okay, and on the plus side, absolutely no one else could use them! Although it might be a bit flashy for the epilepsy folks.

Both versions are beyond what I was hoping for, thank you so much. I think the dark one was the right choice for this situation, but I also really like the yellow-background one, with its shimmering effect and the way the black text scrolls diagonally. I'll use it somewhere else if that's cool with you (since no one else can, like you said).

Athanatos posted:

Thanks for the avatar! And what's cool is that the effect is very different depending on if you're watching a row, column, or diagonal.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Professor Moriarty posted:

Long shot, but I'd like to request an av of Matt Berry as Harrier "Harry" Du Bois. Or a Disco Elysium skill that didn't make the cut. Please and thank you.

I think the Free Av period is over, but it was too funny of an idea not to draw, so here we are. It kind of works??

Autechresaint posted:

Thanks again for the new avatar!

I started listening to Autechre and they're actually pretty good...

Macatt posted:

Both versions are beyond what I was hoping for, thank you so much. I think the dark one was the right choice for this situation, but I also really like the yellow-background one, with its shimmering effect and the way the black text scrolls diagonally. I'll use it somewhere else if that's cool with you (since no one else can, like you said).

Thanks for the avatar! And what's cool is that the effect is very different depending on if you're watching a row, column, or diagonal.

No worries. It is kind of mesmerizing. What does MACATT mean btw?

megane posted:

(very useful stuff)

Aw heck yes, thanks for posting this

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I started listening to Autechre and they're actually pretty good...

Their recent output can be rather difficult to get into but they have 30 years of material and have changed so much over the years. My personal favorite album is LP5 and Untilted, but most start with Tri Repetae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ThirstyBuck posted:

Terrible good or terrible bad?!

I have been hit up!

I guess you're safe now, then.

Safe from this atrocity-