Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I will occasionally put the prices in the inflation calculator. TVs were loving expensive back in the 70s & 80s.

I’ve been watching Emergency!, the paramedic show from the ‘70s, and in one episode the TV set in the station was on the fritz and Gage tries fixing it, only to have it blow up. He told the guys how his uncle sold electronics wholesale and could get him a great deal on a new set: $250. It turned out to be a dinky portable 9 inch set when he thought he was getting a decent 25 inch set.

$250 in 1975 is about $1400 today. For a small 9 inch tube TV :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

That 25” Quasar console tv was the poo poo. American made.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i always felt like bob was kind of mean and rude to contestants like he hated the inside of their soul
it was uncomfortable to watch him stare daggers at people because it did not seem like an act

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

GolfHole posted:

i always felt like bob was kind of mean and rude to contestants like he hated the inside of their soul
it was uncomfortable to watch him stare daggers at people because it did not seem like an act

There were some weird rear end contestants on the show and some of them could be super handsy with him so I don't blame the dude tbh

Also I'm p sure driftingmouse got banned for being a transphobic pos so his gimmick is up for grabs afaik

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I wonder if bob ever worried about the perpetually slightly less than hysterical studio audience fully losing their minds and storming the stage violently

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have never lived in america why are these rubes on this show getting so hype over the trash prizes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

git apologist posted:

i have never lived in america why are these rubes on this show getting so hype over the trash prizes

it's the show that largely pioneered the modern TV gameshow format (it's been on since 1956!) including the thing where they pick contestants based on how outlandish and frenzied they are because it makes the show more entertaining.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'd dance like an idiot for a jaffleaker ngl that poo poo rules. Bob Barker did the world a service imo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I watched a few episodes of the 50s version of Price is Right one time and it's loving wild. Prizes like fully-furnished homes, ownership of a fully-functional business, a submarine, a rolls-royce with a personal chauffeur, an entire island. And it's really funny to watch because the contestants hardly get excited about it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 27, 2023

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
I was watching old eps last week and its just bob telling people to stay away from the wheel when they spin constantly

That poo poo will take you out lady

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

It's magical how excited you get watching at home when someone gets to play Plinko! gently caress yes Plinko! It's a better outcome than the chance to win a car.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

he was almost free from t-bone the clown...

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't know who this Bob is, but I wish his soul will find peace in gods kingdom. Or infinite eternal torment in hell, if he was a bad man

amen

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Truly, Bob's finest moment

https://youtu.be/6CajdyoaSM0?feature=shared

The price is wrong, bitch :smith:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cyril Sneer posted:

Mayim Bialik

At least she's not a fuckin scab like Jennings

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

When I was a very young child I used to imitate and wanted to grow up to be the next Bob Barker.

I once met one of the video editors for the program in real life at a convention in LA who kept one of the cliffhanger dudes in her purse to prove it.
I must have talked to that cool lady for hours about working with that show with Bob and later, Drew.

RIP you loving legend. :sadwave:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Maybe you should've bet the right number.

I don't know how to find a clip, but when I was a kid there was a time the player going second did the 601 thing, then the third player, peak dumbass with no foresight said 602

I saw that happen several times, the third person jumps the gun with the $1 or $XX1 and then the fourth goes a dollar higher. I have a vague memory of some episode in the past few years where three people went "1 dollar!" "2 dollars!" "3 dollars!" but disappointingly the other person bid a real guess and broke the streak.

rip Bob, I got memories of watching TPIR with Grandma while we drank terrible microwaved instant coffee. I always looked forward to Cliff Hangers but also it made me so anxious if the little dude fell off.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Jemak posted:

When I was a very young child I used to imitate and wanted to grow up to be the next Bob Barker.

I once met one of the video editors for the program in real life at a convention in LA who kept one of the cliffhanger dudes in her purse to prove it.
I must have talked to that cool lady for hours about working with that show with Bob and later, Drew.

RIP you loving legend. :sadwave:

Oh man, did she have any cool stories about any of those guys? Or just what it's like working for a show like that in general? I imagine that's a pretty cool job

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

cbs seems fun to work for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0b1In9RF7Y&t=47s

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

git apologist posted:

Because it's so...American. :capitalism:

Maybe not so much by the late 80s, but buying a TV or dishwasher or even a coffee table used to be an Event. You'd either go to a big department store or local specialty shop on the edge of town called, "Al's Furniture and Family Discount Mart" and a used car type salesman would spend hours watching you sit on this couch and that couch. poo poo wasn't expensive, but you knew you were going to keep this in your house for at least 10-15 years, if no the rest of your life. And hey, a free appliance is a free appliance. When money is tight that matters.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

git apologist posted:

Look at Mr. Moneybags over here who is too good for free stuff.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

If you live under a rock or in that area in West Virginia where the internet isn't allowed and you are visiting Pigeon Forge for some culture or something, here is the Price is Right wiki, the place for all your stats and notable incidents having to do with every game and aspect of the show.

https://priceisright.fandom.com/wiki/Pick-A-Pair

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like with all game shows I think, you had to pay taxes on the winnings. I remember my uncle bitching about the washer and dryer taxes. He was pretty poor so it probably was a real burden.

Also, Cliffhangers was my favorite game. Gimme that yodeling.

Or, maybe the putting game, cuz Bob would always take a shot first.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

git apologist posted:

I'd guess part of it is being on TV.

You get on TV and describe the tornado/ ufo/car accident, or get to be on a game show and you're king/queen poo poo of your neighborhood for the time being.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I wonder if this will sound as they lower his casket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

It's so distinctive, burned into my brain.

So sorry, you lost.....

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

I mean he was ready to die so who can blame him?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ikanreed posted:

Maybe you should've bet the right number.

I don't know how to find a clip, but when I was a kid there was a time the player going second did the 601 thing, then the third player, peak dumbass with no foresight said 602

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5GZUi07m4

Weird, I just watched that clip today.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Bonzo posted:

it's either that or the yodelling clip from Cliff Hangers

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Before the internet, people would tell you about these things and you never knew if they were urban legends or really happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4xSIdVDNA

"In the butt Bob" was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2naTw9y7zsE

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Bob Barker Price is Right tribute is on right now and Drew Carey looks like he might be in the ground not too long after Bob. He looks terrible.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No that's not. All 4 got stacked in the case I'm thinking of

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

can't stand Drew Carey on Price is Right, he puts me to sleep, stopped watching or thinking about it ever since he took over.

amazing age that Bob Barker got to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

GateOfD posted:

can't stand Drew Carey on Price is Right, he puts me to sleep, stopped watching or thinking about it ever since he took over.

amazing age that Bob Barker got to.

There can only be one Bob Barker on the Earth at a time. Last week the new one was born, so in another 30 years or so the Price is Right will be watchable again.