Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Season four of the podcast “Blowback,” co-hosted by Brendan James and Noah Kulwin, released on Aug. 25.

The podcast is described as “a deeply reported, and cinematically produced, historical podcast that takes a deep look at past wars and moments in history.” Season four will turn to focus on Afghanistan, following seasons on the Iraq War, the Cuban Revolution and the Korean War.

James described the genesis of this season of the podcast.

“The summer of 2021 produced an odd spectacle: The withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan — and Taliban takeover that followed — in some ways appeared to wake Americans up, suddenly remind them that we had been occupying this country for 20 years. There was an interesting logic at play: As if the chaos had started that day, and all of the horrors and violence of the past twenty years had nothing to do with the images coming out of Afghanistan.

“In working backwards from that American withdrawal, questions began piling up. Was this another Vietnam? Or was it something quite different? Was Afghanistan “the good war,” overshadowed by the criminal Iraq War — or was it the foundation of the crusade that has turned the world upside down since 9/11?

“So we want to look at that trail, study the connections, the associations, the clues, that place Afghanistan in America’s crosshairs by September, 2001, and generate the scenes of chaos in Kabul, 2021. On the way we’ll meet secret agents. Soviet Commissars. Afghan warlords. Texas cowboys. Saudi oligarchs. And the people caught between them, in a 40-year war that may not yet be over.”

Description taken from https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/blowback-podcast-season-4-afghanistan-1235701191/

Awesome Season 4 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb0r5aWGkCI

Link to SupportingCast Page: https://blowback.supportingcast.fm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
"I accidentally learned something" -Stavros Halkias

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

crepeface posted:

"I accidentally learned something" -Stavros Halkias

Speaking of, have Brendan and/or Noah ever guested on Stav's podcast?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I'm on episode 4 now, it's v good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

taliban ftw

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Also, since I never did figure this out: What is the main theme song/intro theme song from?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

metachronos posted:

Also, since I never did figure this out: What is the main theme song/intro theme song from?

world destruction by africa bambaataa and john lydon

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

also this lol dudes rock

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

right arm posted:

Thank you!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Having gotten to the episodes where the Taliban take over post-Soviet, no, not they're not.

Soviets ftw.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they’re winners

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

seekers stay winning

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

right arm posted:

Only took me 4 seasons to finally understand the what the lyrics are

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

metachronos posted:

Speaking of, have Brendan and/or Noah ever guested on Stav's podcast?

highly doubtful

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cached Money posted:

I'm on episode 4 now, it's v good.

Same. Last season was good, but this is a really interesting one. I felt like I knew the Wikipedia overview of this period of the initial soviet intervention, but making the connection to pol pot, and all the stuff about the safari club, really explains a lot.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Well done as always but also just depressing

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finished it plus all the bonus eps. incredible stuff, but I think S3 was better rn but it’ll probably sit with me for a bit til I read about all these freaks lol

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Same. Last season was good, but this is a really interesting one. I felt like I knew the Wikipedia overview of this period of the initial soviet intervention, but making the connection to pol pot, and all the stuff about the safari club, really explains a lot.

The predominant narrative I've had in my head about it, though most definitely coming at it from an askew angle a missing a poo poo ton of context, was Bitter Lake.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Coincidentally just got to the 9/11 episode yesterday and it is anxiety inducing. Soundtrack is phenomenal

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Danger posted:

Coincidentally just got to the 9/11 episode yesterday and it is anxiety inducing. Soundtrack is phenomenal

The music is a big standout of Blowback in general for me. I also thought the SynAnon miniseries TrueAnon did had great music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
When is the free release?