Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
found it walking home from the bus

I can’t seem to google whatever it may be

some sort of wack rear end dandelion?

Do I gotta start finding holes made for me? Cause I’m way ahead of the game in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Have another poo poo pic

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Fruit by the foot before it is picked and packaged

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s six feet of Bubble Tape for you.

Not them.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Kind of looks like it was done TO it

This is the new crop circles 👽

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
My app says it's a snail so it's a snail.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it's a dandelion stem

https://nhgardensolutions.wordpress.com/tag/white-violets/

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rabbit food leftovers

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
It's a dandelion stem. The cells on the inside of the stem absorb water and will swell up, whereas the cells that make up the outside repel water and stay the same size. I guess water somehow got inside the stem which caused the inside cells to get much bigger than the ones on the outside, resulting in the observed curl.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

teen witch posted:

Have another poo poo pic

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

it's a rotten egg plant, rotten eggs grow on them and that's where they come from, op

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Dolor Olympia sp.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm sorry to say, but your home town is about to get Uzumaki'd.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Typically in organism ID threads it helps to put where you found it, OP :)

But yes it's a dandelion stem that's been split

Hazo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 2, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hazo posted:

Typically in organism ID threads it helps to put where you found it, OP :)

teen witch posted:

:confused:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I found it in front of a house I was walking by in middle Sweden

It’s been raining pretty much all the time and good god the mosquitos

But between here and the US I’ve never once seen a dandelion look like that, ever

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I remember a childhood game here. We used to pluck dandelions and pop the flowers off with our thumbs. If you hit someone with the flower it meant they were going to piss the bed that night.

A quick google search suggests there might be some truth behind this.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dandelion+bed+wetting

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

It's a dandelion stem. The cells on the inside of the stem absorb water and will swell up, whereas the cells that make up the outside repel water and stay the same size. I guess water somehow got inside the stem which caused the inside cells to get much bigger than the ones on the outside, resulting in the observed curl.

Yeah, it's this. If you split dandelion stems in half lengthwise and throw them in a bowl of water, they'll do this too. Good way to teach the difference between hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials :eng101:

teen witch posted:

It’s been raining pretty much all the time and good god the mosquitos

My guess is that either an animal bit the head off and left the stem, resulting in enough of a break for rainwater to seep in and slowly expand the cells and split the stem as it went, or the dandelion had some kind of internal fissure and it soaked up so much water that it exploded. The ragged edges along the inside of the curl makes me think the former, but the amusement factor of an exploding dandelion makes me hope the latter.

Additionally: gently caress mosquitoes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Taraxacum (/təˈræksəkəm/) is a large genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae, usually found in regions between home and the bus.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

teen witch posted:

I can’t seem to google whatever it may be

some sort of wack rear end dandelion?

Do I gotta start finding holes made for me? Cause I’m way ahead of the game in that case

fellow goons my xbox died so I went outside. The sun hurt my skin and a bug flew into my eye. Anyways whats this bizarre alien looking plant? ...a dandelion you say? fascinating

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Yesterdays Latte posted:

Yeah, it's this. If you split dandelion stems in half lengthwise and throw them in a bowl of water, they'll do this too. Good way to teach the difference between hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials :eng101:

My guess is that either an animal bit the head off and left the stem, resulting in enough of a break for rainwater to seep in and slowly expand the cells and split the stem as it went, or the dandelion had some kind of internal fissure and it soaked up so much water that it exploded. The ragged edges along the inside of the curl makes me think the former, but the amusement factor of an exploding dandelion makes me hope the latter.

Additionally: gently caress mosquitoes

Now you got me wondering if I inject water into a dandelion stem if it will eventually explode.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It reminds me of Roberto.

You know the stabbing robot from Futurama.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Join https://www.inaturalist.org/
It's great for identifying random poo poo and it helps with biodiversity records :3:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i want a juji mufu looking plant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Welp you took a picture and now your fingers are gonna curl up like that and they’ll find you in your room with those things coming out your eyes and butt.