Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If cattywumpus is real why have I never heard of it in movies, tv, music, or books??

Only heard it from my dad and he stopped when he realized we had no idea what that meant.

It's probably not in movies because it's not a common saying

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Fair enough.. I mean I'm used to hearing quarter refer to an area regardless of size or actual location because of war movies... But does courtier actually mean cattywumpus? Seems like it means the little dick that snuck around a court and made deals with the nobles

i have no idea wtf cattywampus is sorry. literally never heard it before this thread

anyway the french word is quartier (which literally means quarter) not courtier.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

It's the same thing. Catty-corner, kitty-corner,etc

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’ve heard cattywumpus to mean out of place or disorganized.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if i heard that word without any context i would assume it meant a big sloppy sandwich with a bunch of fried stuff and hot sauces on it and it isnt very good but it will cure a hangover

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I haven't heard any of this poo poo and I'm glad of it

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I was so mad when I learned "kitty corner" just meant "diagonal" because I assumed something with such a stupid name must be more complicated than that somehow.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
im gonna start saying "oblique"

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

Acrossed longways

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im gonna start saying "oblique"

This but pronounce it OH-blee-kay

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

hypotenusely located from

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I always used kitty-corner to mean like when you put a chair or table diagonally in a corner instead of parallel with the sides of the corner.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

"The Devil is Beating His Wife"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A man wears a white tank top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is super weird to see as it’s always been “caddy corner” and “caddywumpus” in my part of the deep south. I’ve never heard it pronounced with the Ts.