Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
All solid advice that I (mostly) figured out the hard way.

Didn't know that reservoirs and puddles cause more bugs, that's new to me. I combine puddles to minimize evaporation mainly.

I did notice that rainy days are "free work outside" days. It usually culminates in a fever, but I still have antibiotics so I'll use this strat until I run out. Early game resource rng is scary so I gotta maximize those marginal gains.

edit: One big discovery I forgot to mention is that you can soak and grind sago in unclean water. Man that saves a lot of time and energy.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

OneTwentySix posted:

Going outside when it's raining means no bugs, but you'll get sick due to crappy immune system so avoid at all costs early on. If you get your immune system up, though, and some rain protection, you can use rainy days to get some work done. Keep it limited, though. This takes practice, be sure to have spider lilies on hand.

Can you train your immune system stat similar to a skill or callouses? I assumed it was all short-term buffs from spider-lily etc.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

LLSix posted:

Can you train your immune system stat similar to a skill or callouses? I assumed it was all short-term buffs from spider-lily etc.

No, but high mood gives you a buff, and healing from your injuries removes one, I think?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Your immune system can get better from being healthier in general but not permanently or anything. Not like callouses.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Depression tanks your immune system very badly. It's why I try my best to keep mood up on tourist if I can, otherwise the penalty from depression and weakened immune system means you have basically none whatsoever.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

New Fantasy Life update largely focused on what the magic system is based around, but with some general plans as well.

quote:

Some of the things we've been working on recently are the Magic system (which I'll describe in more detail in this announcement), a new and improved cooking system that we believe will greatly enhance the experience and many improvements to the general interface/interactivity of the game like for example a new type of mini-inventory (for items like fishing rods or kitchenware), and a new feature that allows players to expand and collapse stacks of cards (especially useful for farming).
Too bad those QoL aren't likely to be backported, lol.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That new art is absolutely gorgeous and a significant step up.

Is encouraging to hear they're sticking with folk magic as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I wonder if the badger spirit will make you a better smith.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Another nudge because they've finally put a store page up for the next game.
Card Survival: Fantasy Forest
Can only wishlist right now, but it will be an Early Access launch again.

UI may not be final, but I'd imagine you wouldn't have too much trouble easing into it from Tropical Island :pseudo:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Drake no: tourist start
Drake yes: Isekai start

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bhodi posted:

The general theme of this game is "lack of meta knowledge will get you killed." and you gradually get better and die less as you discover/understand more mechanics. It is an absolute must to understand there is a 4 hour linear soft cap to powerleveling skills. If you do two of the same thing right after each other you will not gain a skill for the second action, after 2 hours it's a 50% chance, and after 4 hours you will always gain skillup for both. Each "action" has a unique counter that is tracked separately, and that "Detailed Card Progress" mod will show you these as cooldowns.

Thank you for this suggestion. It provides a lot of useful information, including showing how population changes impact diving without getting eaten by a shark chances. Does anyone know where the skill cooldown timer should show up? Maybe the mod was updated to hide that information but I'm not seeing it.

I did run some quick tests. I crafted those four fiber cords in a row and only got 1 tailoring skill, so I think it is still working the same way as always with crafting multiple duplicates resulting in slower skill growth.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's not very intuitive but you pin the skill as a (brown?) bar on the left and mouse over it, will show you. Most people have entertainment pinned so you can also see your entertainment events there before "dropping off" after some time. I also think it might be tuned to be around 3 hours not 4 in some patch I don't recall exactly. I do remember that you can cycle spear -> bow -> tailoring -> crafting -> 45m drum1 indefinitely, and crafting was making bone hooks that you can then burn as fuel for some reason.

For sharks, having any wound spikes the chances of an encounter which you can easily see on the mouseover.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 8, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks! I see it now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I got my first set of clay pots finished by day 6 in my current hunter run.

I got 7 pots done this time (plus a vase and jar). Which feels like 3 more than I usually manage. On the other hand, it's been so long since I last played that I can't remember if day 6 for clay is fast or slow or just average.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Does anyone know if snare traps can catch cobras? They seem to have a higher success chance than deadfall traps in general.

Day 40 (14:00) and I just made it to the Eastern Highlands. Feels a bit like I'm running behind schedule but I've got 3 glazed clay vessels and plenty of other clay stuff and an enclosure with 3 partridges. Still haven't figured out how to get eggs from them though.

Edit: I just realized I can make bird feed with coconut as the "good food" part. This makes it so, so much easier to make bird feed.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Snare traps basically only trap smaller, legged creatures. I'm not sure if you can trap cobras at all.
Just treat the partridges well, keep 'em fed and clean their enclosure if it gets dirty, you should get eggs with time (unless they're all male partridges).