Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Caesar Saladin posted:

the video game I enjoyed the most when I played it was probably Quest for Glory when I was like 7. Best point and click adventure ever, way better than the Lucas Arts ones.

Those games were so mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
System Shock 2. NPCs were hard to do well back then, so you were on your own. Just you and a comms voice that you learn not to trust.

Starting enemies were former humans who have lines begging you to kill them. Later on you see how the nurses were forcibly transformed into things called cyborg midwives.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

Tribes 2 was my favorite shooter ever, bar none. I loved Tribes 1 but Tribes 2 was really my fuckin jam, especially because we got cable internet right before it came out.

:haibrow: One of my fondest gaming memories is when we got two separate DSL lines at the house I rented with a bunch of roommates, and we had a big LAN party in the garage and 10 of us split into 5 on each DSL and got onto Tribes 2 public servers and absolutely and utterly smashed everyone we played. Tribes games weren't so great visually but they ran really well on anything. Also IIRC one of the first big multiplayer games to have 100% server side mods. One of my roommates was utterly obsessed with some mod version that had a ton more vehicles.

Yvershek posted:

System Shock 2. NPCs were hard to do well back then, so you were on your own. Just you and a comms voice that you learn not to trust.

Starting enemies were former humans who have lines begging you to kill them. Later on you see how the nurses were forcibly transformed into things called cyborg midwives.

SS2 is the best singleplayer FPS ever. :colbert:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tbh tho a lot of my most played games were either pirated or I didn't play on Steam, like red dead 2 or Morrowind, which are some other favorites esp Morrowind. I have enough hours that it should probably be my #2

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

back on my isaac bullshit lmao

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Probably Rimworld.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I don't have a definite favorite, OP

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is definitely up there

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I have a complete physical copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It has the box, floppies, manual, advertisements and even the code sheet and little code reader visor thing. When I was 6 or 7 my grandmother had a computer in her office with that game plus Sylpheed and one of the King's Quest games

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Vice City had the smallest map of that generation (smaller than even GTA3's Liberty City), but I was a lot more into the '80s ambience and the soundtrack (which got me into '80s pop and rock) than San Andreas. Both both Vice City and San Andreas were the sweet spot for GTA before the bad decisions made in IV ("Hello, cousin!") and V (so much realism that the series lost the cartoonish, open-world charm of the earlier games).

Dang I think I’m alone in not finding Roman annoying. Felt like his role was to point out fun minigames & if I didn’t feel like it just hung up. I really enjoyed exploring Liberty City, especially with the expansions when they improved police tactics.

Also IV had by far my favorite protagonists, like how Niko clearly didn’t want to be living a life of crime or how in Lost and Damned the gang is doomed to decline & it’s not a happy existence. Was glad Ballad of Gay Tony went for it in making the city a sandbox & added lots of fun missions that wouldn’t have fit the tone for the other characters.

I’d disagree that V had realism, felt like they tried to cram satire & jokes into every frame & it was exhausting. Michael doesn’t like therapy, his family is generic California stereotypes like if they only had five minutes to write Arrested Development, the tech company is bad, etc… it felt all surface level like the developers didn’t trust the audience to not forget the character traits if they weren’t shouted every minute. Was too much like when I had Trevor play tennis & he had to yell overwritten profanity every point, I get it you’re evil just serve.

Overall did like V ok like exploring & biking but overall greatly preferred IV.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Best opening sequence in an adventure game, keep thinking gonna pick up an artifact but fall through floors.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Haverchuck posted:

I have a complete physical copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It has the box, floppies, manual, advertisements and even the code sheet and little code reader visor thing. When I was 6 or 7 my grandmother had a computer in her office with that game plus Sylpheed and one of the King's Quest games

drat, that's a cool grandma

e: mine just played pinochle, or was it cribbage? Whatever's the one with the wood board and pegs.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 15, 2023

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Tbh tho a lot of my most played games were either pirated or I didn't play on Steam, like red dead 2 or Morrowind, which are some other favorites esp Morrowind. I have enough hours that it should probably be my #2

Heck yeah! I came to post Morrowind. There are very few games that I can replay every year, but Morrowind just never gets old. It's not even that I make a different character every time I play; I always make a High Elf wizard (Atronach birth sign, of course) and join the Mages Guild and House Telvanni ASAP. I love how the modding community is still going after all this time, and that I can still keep the game relatively fresh by trying out some new mods every time I play (along with my list of favorite mods). I'll probably think about playing Morrowind once I'm finished with the new Zelda.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
This is tough but I think its Skyrim. Its the game that got me back into gaming and I replay every year.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Haverchuck posted:

granny has taste

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Longshot in remembering the name of this game. It was a lot of green and black. A robot type avatar that you would upgrade different abilities. I believe it was first person in the 90s. Think like a world like blade runner like.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oh no wait, it's Big Game Hunter. :dukedog:

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Don't poo poo Your Pants

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I thought about it for real and I'm changing my answer to Kentucky Route Zero because I felt like it was a story unburdened by a lot of the cliches that seem almost endemic to the medium, that even something like DE suffers from, and at the very end I felt a great, elemental emotion stirring in my chest which I've only really felt while watching movies or reading books, and KRZ is like, the only game I can think of off the top of my head that managed to do that.

I am a big big BIG fan of Nam June Paik and I am so glad you recommended this.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

My foot itches, can you go find me a rasp?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
The Half Life Series.. Gordon Freeman can shove his xen based crystals into my drunken heart

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Edgar posted:

The Half Life Series.. Gordon Freeman can shove his xen based crystals into my drunken heart

Alyx was just a tease, to show off their VR tech. Like GRRM, Valve will never finish their magnum opus

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

It's by far not the best game and certainly not the game I've spend the most time with (civ series & cm/fm series 93 till mid 10s) but my favourite game without hesitation is Wonderboy in Monsterland.

Wonderboy in Monsterland, my true love still going strong for about 35 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Alyx was just a tease, to show off their VR tech. Like GRRM, Valve will never finish their magnum opus

Honestly as I read into it, Half Life 3's script was loving bonkers in a cool neat way but also impossible to make into a fun game so I can see why it floundered.
When Game 1 and Game 2 are so intensely distinct that people expect Game 3 to be a similar milestone event it's kind hard to follow on.

Honestly they should have had the balls to make Alyx be HL3 and lean into it harder.