Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not sure what thread this would fit in. My family owns a vacation home, my mom and all her brothers and sisters inherited a share of ownership after my grandpa "retired" from managing the place. When they took it over, they began managing it like an Airbnb that is only accessible to the owners and family members directly related to the owners. Book dates and pay some fees for upkeep. The problem is, they're having one of the family members (my cousin) manage the entirety of the finances and bookings and she sucks poo poo at it. The place was in the red last year due to her lovely management and basically allowing anyone and everyone to skirt the booking fees and making the stupidest possible financial decisions.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a service or where I might look to see if there is a neutral third party who could be paid a fee to manage the booking, collect fees and manage the general finances such as maintenance and monthly bills. Basically no one is interested in listing it on Airbnb/Vrbo if it can't be kept invite only for bookings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this is one of the most absurd things I've read in a while in BFC. your family should just sell the house since they can't be bothered to deal with it.

otherwise, google local "property management" companies and see how much they scratch their heads or laugh when describing your situation.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Ooof. Trying to manage it like a business property, but with only family as customers, and with someone's kid running it.

Hang on, is grandpa still alive? He just decided that it would be a great thing for the family to try to communally run this thing? Does he hate all his kids?

I think in descending order of attractiveness

1) Sell it and split up the money
2) Have it *fairly* appraised, and one person can buy everyone else out. Probably the one who has installed their kid as the manager and is giving out the free nights to their close family and friends.
3) Have a 3rd party manager do it all for you, which is gonna be expensive. And may likely end up with some back scratching crap going on between them and whoever is local
4) Continue down this path of increasing bad blood

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

bradzilla posted:

I'm not sure what thread this would fit in. My family owns a vacation home, my mom and all her brothers and sisters inherited a share of ownership after my grandpa "retired" from managing the place. When they took it over, they began managing it like an Airbnb that is only accessible to the owners and family members directly related to the owners. Book dates and pay some fees for upkeep. The problem is, they're having one of the family members (my cousin) manage the entirety of the finances and bookings and she sucks poo poo at it. The place was in the red last year due to her lovely management and basically allowing anyone and everyone to skirt the booking fees and making the stupidest possible financial decisions.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a service or where I might look to see if there is a neutral third party who could be paid a fee to manage the booking, collect fees and manage the general finances such as maintenance and monthly bills. Basically no one is interested in listing it on Airbnb/Vrbo if it can't be kept invite only for bookings.

Is this the setup for the next Knives Out murder movie?