Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you want Sean Strickland to win?
This poll is closed.
No 8 42.11%
This button automatically e-mails your home address to the FBI 11 57.89%
Total: 19 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

Strickland's making a lot of different arm movements that aren't punches

Sanko said Izzy is good at dominating the air with hands, which is normally a fair assessment, but those small movements are part of Strickland’s game. He needs to move into his defensive guard really quickly to pick up incoming straight punches. The small moves disguise both his offensive and defensive intent.

Brut posted:

I wonder if it's really hard to get sparring partners that fight like Strickland, he just casually walks forward in a really bizarre way

I don’t think it would be, at least from among kickboxers. It’s not bizarre as much as it is calculated. He’s doing two things:
- making small forward steps and not making it easier to circle to his outside, his left
- by having that small stepping narrow stance, he’s maximizing how far back his lead leg is talkative to his punch range, which gives him more time to react and check

BlindSite posted:

He doesn't look like he game planned for this at all... Absolutely no strategy behind his offense this fight. No leg kicks, no high low change ups, no working the body to affect the cardio. He's just getting worked.

It’s a loving embarrassment by his camp.
Not having any discipline circling to his right was the foundation for his problems. Gameplan he needed to stick to:
- southpaw, circle to the right, take Strickland’s very tight cross out of the picture. The more Izzy circled to the left, the more he gave up ring generalship.
- when, in the countless times he got Sean leaning back, that’s when you unload the leg kick. Not single with 0 setup. So many times Izzy threw straight punches, missed but had Sean frozen leaning back, and nothing under it.
- a sidekick under the lead arm after selling a good jab. Or failing that, slip deep to the outside to avoid the cross and dig in an inside leg kick

Strickland’s corner talked about not getting snake charmed, but in reality, it was 100% Izzy who fell for it

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Defeated by two guys who just walk forward and don’t give a gently caress

the defeat of Anderson Silva too

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

"former" as in "he realized self-identifying as a neo-Nazi was bad for his future", so he graduated from actual hate-crimes to just being racist, homophobic, and transphobic without calling himself a neo-nazi in tyool 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Terrible performance by Izzy, and, like, a completely expected performance from Strickland, but

I fought a guy, and a guy won.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"former" as in "he realized self-identifying as a neo-Nazi was bad for his future", so he graduated from actual hate-crimes to just being racist, homophobic, and transphobic without calling himself a neo-nazi in tyool 2023

Strickland a decade behind The Alt Right Relabelling Movement

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Who else does Nicksick coach?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I fought a guy, and a guy won.

Like, I thought there was a path to victory for Strickland, but I thought it would involve having to mix it up. Force the clinch, force Izzy to think about wrestling, land in the pocket, because your rangefinding 1-2 thing is going to be scouted to hell and back.

Not even a little. Jesus wept.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

yep

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Man that was awesome, I love Sean's boxing style.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sean seemed to pick up - or maybe at least his coaches did from Bobby's mistakes and what Jan was able to do and he just dominated. I don't care about poo poo outside the cage anymore - but Strickland put up what was probably one of the best performances to beat a champ in the last few years. Dude was incredible really.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

I'm afraid to ask but how is Strickland a nazi? I havent followed him much, just seen some moron quotes that put him in the Paulo Costa box for me

Supposedly, he grew up in a hosed up family where his father was a mean drunk and his grandfather was a turbo racist. He went through a “phase” in high school where he ideolized his grandfather and considered himself a neo-nazi, including getting kicked out of school for “hate crimes”. Now he says he’s past that. You can take that as you will.

To me, what he’s said reads like a pretty frank and clear refutation of that part of his past; it’s not some pussy-footing bullshit where he acts like it wasn’t that bad, I guess we all gotta say this now, wink-wink for the folks back home. There are overtly white supremacist families out there, and the kids in them are hearing that poo poo every day. That’s something they have to learn to overcome to be decent people, but it is possible to do that, and in my (very small amount of) searching I haven’t seen anything to make me think that’s not the case here. But I can understand people being iffy about it, especially because he’s still pretty chuddy, just not an avowed neo-nazi anymore.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

I'm not saying that feinting is a bad tool or isn't a legit way to get a read on your opponents or set things up, but I do feel like there's been a recent overemphasis on ''oh my GOD look at the FEINTS'' during City Kickboxing fights in the same way a smug jazz fan might tell you it's all about the notes that they're NOT playing

This happened against Blachowicz too IIRC - the commentary gasping at Adesanya's incredible feints while Jan decided to take the simpler route of actually punching the dude in front of him, no matter how much he might be twitching in various directions.

The Strickland fight kind of demonstrated again that just feinting a lot and doing (genuinely) very impressive movements isn't a particularly great way to actually win a fight (you have to punch and kick the other person too - and they might even defend and try to stop you from doing that!!!)

Typing that out sounds incredibly stupid but apparently it was beyond the gameplan for Adesanya tonight, even when obviously down 3 rounds

No urgency, no real plan - you know the guy is coming in there to walk you down, throw 1-2 combinations, and do his best not to get hit. It is literally the only thing that he can do and has ever done.

Your strategy as a world champion kickboxer: walk backwards, fail to defend against 1-2s, throw simple strikes that are deflected with minimal effort, but by god the feints were twitchier and more ferocious than ever.

anyway the flyweights were great and if kape gets the title at some point that would be a fun rematch

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

rjmccall posted:

Supposedly, he grew up in a hosed up family where his father was a mean drunk and his grandfather was a turbo racist. He went through a “phase” in high school where he ideolized his grandfather and considered himself a neo-nazi, including getting kicked out of school for “hate crimes”. Now he says he’s past that. You can take that as you will.

To me, what he’s said reads like a pretty frank and clear refutation of that part of his past; it’s not some pussy-footing bullshit where he acts like it wasn’t that bad, I guess we all gotta say this now, wink-wink for the folks back home. There are overtly white supremacist families out there, and the kids in them are hearing that poo poo every day. That’s something they have to learn to overcome to be decent people, but it is possible to do that, and in my (very small amount of) searching I haven’t seen anything to make me think that’s not the case here. But I can understand people being iffy about it, especially because he’s still pretty chuddy, just not an avowed neo-nazi anymore.

Yeah I've heard the same.

Israel just bailed from the press conference without answering any questions.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Passing Feeling posted:

I'm not saying that feinting is a bad tool or isn't a legit way to get a read on your opponents or set things up, but I do feel like there's been a recent overemphasis on ''oh my GOD look at the FEINTS'' during City Kickboxing fights in the same way a smug jazz fan might tell you it's all about the notes that they're NOT playing

This happened against Blachowicz too IIRC - the commentary gasping at Adesanya's incredible feints while Jan decided to take the simpler route of actually punching the dude in front of him, no matter how much he might be twitching in various directions.

The Strickland fight kind of demonstrated again that just feinting a lot and doing (genuinely) very impressive movements isn't a particularly great way to actually win a fight (you have to punch and kick the other person too - and they might even defend and try to stop you from doing that!!!)

Typing that out sounds incredibly stupid but apparently it was beyond the gameplan for Adesanya tonight, even when obviously down 3 rounds

No urgency, no real plan - you know the guy is coming in there to walk you down, throw 1-2 combinations, and do his best not to get hit. It is literally the only thing that he can do and has ever done.

Your strategy as a world champion kickboxer: walk backwards, fail to defend against 1-2s, throw simple strikes that are deflected with minimal effort, but by god the feints were twitchier and more ferocious than ever.

anyway the flyweights were great and if kape gets the title at some point that would be a fun rematch

No. you make a good point. One of my coaches used to say feinting is fine - but you're best off doing it after you've gained your opponents respect. If you want to distract someone with your hand - hit them with it. His reasoning always seemed pretty sound to me. I think fighters can sometimes fall into that trap of looking for an opening that they forget - you are there to hit people, that needs to be the foundation. You can start feinting a jab but if you never crack me with one I'm not going to give a poo poo after a minute.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I don't think Strickland is a nazi. Homophobe, transphobe, misogynist, general bigot shithead, 100%. But he does seem to have at least turned away from being literally a nazi. Give him the smallest bar to clear.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

CarlCX posted:

I don't think Strickland is a nazi. Homophobe, transphobe, misogynist, general bigot shithead, 100%. But he does seem to have at least turned away from being literally a nazi. Give him the smallest bar to clear.

Yeah, this is my read, too. The tiniest cookie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A Passing Feeling posted:

The Strickland fight kind of demonstrated again that just feinting a lot and doing (genuinely) very impressive movements isn't a particularly great way to actually win a fight
I disagree in that I didn’t find the feints impressive. They weren’t cohesive with what Izzy actually tried to land, and at Sean’s boxing range, he wasn’t biting on most of it.

quote:

but by god the feints were twitchier and more ferocious than ever.

I agree that the commentary around it is breathless, but I don’t think it’s feeding into the fighters’ ego. This loss definitely exposes some disconnect in camp. Izzy has the physical tools to beat almost any MW. Clearly he is missing some fight IQ we were giving him credit for. And it’s absurd that he wasn’t jolted out of it by his corner between rounds, even forgiving that they came in with seemingly no plan.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sean Strickland beat up a black man who couldn't defend himself.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

rjmccall posted:

As someone who grew up in a racist family, and still has to deal with said family and community, I can totally relate to Sean's early life. I don't think Seans racist now from what I've seen of him and his team. The other stuff.. Yeahhh idk. But I was also basically raised to be a racist homophobe, and it took me until about 14 to mature enough to realize how hosed up my family was and shed my prejudices. I have a mixed race son now, and working on another with a West African 2nd generation immigrant. I don't want to defend anything else about Sean. Except that I think he's good and has always been good despite his narrow gameplan, and I was rooting on him to win for chaos/resentment of Izzy for wasting my PPV money on his all of his most boring fights lol.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
say what you want about Anderson's flaws. but he would have juiced up and kneed Strickland into the outworld. shameful from Izzy. now I gotta listen to more of him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CarlCX posted:

He walks, quacks, flies, looks like a duck, but he may no longer eat bread in a park so he might not be a duck.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sean Strickland beat up a black man who couldn't defend himself.

I shouldn't have laughed at this lol, just lol at this main event. My predictions are usually wrong, I thought Izzy would eventually catch Sean with a KO combo of some kind after the first round maybe 2nd or 3rd. I really want to see Izzy vs DDP, I wonder if they will go for that over giving Izzy immediate rematch after this performance. Honestly thought Sean wouldn't be able to get his offense going at all, that Izzy would circle away from the fence and do what Alex did. Now I'm dieing to see Sean vs Whittaker, DDP, Costa. My feeling before was he would either get put away or lose decision to all of them, not sure now. MMA math never makes any sense.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

why would izzy get an immediate rematch again? that was bad

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dana said it made sense he would

but yea, he shouldn't. He just soundly beat in a fight he shouldn't have lost. Easily his worst performance ever. He already got a rematch to get the title back in the first place.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 10, 2023

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

They absolutely shouldn't do an instant rematch, but they probably will, because the #1 contender is Dricus and the UFC is mad at him, the #2 contender is Whittaker and he just got murdered, and the #3 contender is Jared Cannonier who already beat Strickland so they'd rather wait.

That and Adesanya will make more pay-per-view buys than all of them combined.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Yeah I know, just because his starpower/ 2x champ status/Dana points. I never look at PPV numbers but I would imagine Izzy brings in more than most fighters. Somehow I feel a rematch would be more valid if Sean had actually finished Izzy, but after that fight I'm not really interested in seeing something like that again.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Izzy was always bad.

absolutely. I've always said this.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Izzy moving up to 205 now to fight Alex when he gets the belt??? :getin:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CarlCX posted:

Constipated posted:

As someone who grew up in a racist family, and still has to deal with said family and community, I can totally relate to Sean's early life. I don't think Seans racist now from what I've seen of him and his team. The other stuff.. Yeahhh idk. But I was also basically raised to be a racist homophobe, and it took me until about 14 to mature enough to realize how hosed up my family was and shed my prejudices. I have a mixed race son now, and working on another with a West African 2nd generation immigrant. I don't want to defend anything else about Sean. Except that I think he's good and has always been good despite his narrow gameplan, and I was rooting on him to win for chaos/resentment of Izzy for wasting my PPV money on his all of his most boring fights lol.

I haven't even looked into his comments during his professional career, I've literally only read and heard comments from him during the build-up for UFC 293, and I could checkmark every single item that Carl lists.
If a self-confessed former neo-Nazi graduates from actual, physical hate-crimes to "just open hate-speech", there's no reason to - under any circumstance - hand it to him or believes his re-branding away from neo-Nazi was a) genuine or b) for anything outside of self-serving purposes.

Basically, this:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He walks, quacks, flies, looks like a duck, but he may no longer eat bread in a park so he might not be a duck.

I'm not making GBS threads on Strickland because he beat Izzy. Hell, I hate rooting for Izzy, and there's no Strickland's performance today, but man's a racist Menschenfeind.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Sean just strikes me as the type of immature person that enjoys pushing peoples buttons and saying literally anything to draw a reaction whether he believes/means what he's saying or not. I've had to deal with alot of people like that in my life, so maybe I'm giving too much leeway. Whenever he's challenged over crazy poo poo he says he almost always immediately starts walking back what he said, feels like he is trying to be a less douchey Colby and not fully commiting to being a true heel.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

getting a rise out of people is fun, but as someone who is not a nazi shithead, if i want to annoy people, i'll just say stuff like tears of the kingdom was mid as gently caress or the new god of war games are boring instead of homo/transphobic shite.

the worst thing about it all is that dana finally has his maga scum champion, cos hypothetically, if there was doubt about sean (nope), there's absolutely none about dana

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Now we just wait for Dana to strip Leon and make Colby vs Kevin Holland for the new title, and then he can finally drift away on a pile of his favorite fighters.

I will say, for everything else that was deeply depressing tonight, Laura Sanko was great on commentary and I hope they keep her around more often.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gently caress ths sport

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol everyone loved this card until izzy did his usual poo poo but couldn't get the W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CarlCX posted:

Laura Sanko was great on commentary and I hope they keep her around more often.