Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Anyone into lapidary? I didn't see a thread for it and decided I want to give it a shot to add some more materials to my skillset of...making bullshit. Perhaps small jewelry pieces or strips for wood inlay. I was recently in a great place for rockhounding and found a lot of cool stones, for example:

(I think this is jade. i asked a geologist :colbert:)

Saws and such are expensive so I've ordered some Dremel tools and a diamond wire handsaw (lol) to see if I actually like doing it.

I'm also going to build something like this once my motor gets here too since making my own little bullshit tools is right up my alley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-RVquhDW_U

Anyone have any tips, tricks, or things to show off?

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah I polish rocks sometimes. used to roll my own jewelry for fairs and (mostly) cheap-fancy gifts, now it mostly goes into furniture and stuff

That's probably the biggest single piece I've done so far, for an inset in this thing. All the yellow crap is sulfur so I guess the whole thing is, in a sense, a big polished rock

"proper" lapidary equipment is mondo expensive but all kinds of things will shape and polish rocks. I used to use a big Harbor Freight hand drill with some cheap diamond cutoff wheels for shaping and automotive sandpaper for finishing and it worked great, made the pieces below that way among many others. More recently I found a local lapidary guild with a bunch of really nice rock saws and genies and stuff but I'm slowly inclining back to the sandpaper method just cause I can do it while chilling out at home.

a lot of my material and most of my tools got lost recently but rn I'm working on some dinosaur bone knife scales. will update if they ever stop photographing like poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 13, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Heres some rock updates:

I added a pulley and weight to my cheapo drill press so it can press itself

I also got my CNC spindle motor and mounted it to some wood w a switch and speed controller

I broke some bits drilling a few stones. My press is as slow as it goes without changing pulleys so I'm hoping maybe higher quality bits are more durable :/. Otherwise I gotta change the spindle pulley around for different sizes and I don't wanna

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I built my own rock tumbler "attachment" for my multi-tool motor thing from parts cannibalized from my old vacuum cleaner. Namely the shaft and bearings from the roller brush, the floor wheels, and an idler wheel. I bought a commercial tumbler barrel though because I don't feel like making something leakproof and quiet

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...2ceec0dd0f3ba0&

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Finished my rock saw attachment, It Works

E: my "jade" from the OP is actually serpentine

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 2, 2023

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

It somehow never occurred to me to like, do anything with my rock collection. That looks amazing! :aaa:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Update: creating some jade plugs to make earrings(?) I think.

Press auto feed works pretty well. Sometimes I have to add a little more pressure but that's ok.

Bonus thin section:

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

PokeJoe posted:

Heres some rock updates:

I added a pulley and weight to my cheapo drill press so it can press itself

I also got my CNC spindle motor and mounted it to some wood w a switch and speed controller

I broke some bits drilling a few stones. My press is as slow as it goes without changing pulleys so I'm hoping maybe higher quality bits are more durable :/. Otherwise I gotta change the spindle pulley around for different sizes and I don't wanna

Just now saw the thread.

What kind of drill bit are you using to drill through it?

I do mostly gem faceting but I'm the technical engineer for Crystallite so I can probably help troubleshoot drilling.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I solved my bit problem by switching to tiny hole saws. I was using diamond coated twist bits which I think was the worst possible workable choice. Post your faceting machine pls

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

I solved my bit problem by switching to tiny hole saws. I was using diamond coated twist bits which I think was the worst possible workable choice. Post your faceting machine pls

I'll try to remember to post pics once I'm home. I've got a Sterling handpiece style machine. :) Also there's a lapidary thread in a totally different section

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894756

Diamond coated twist bits aren't necessarily bad. It's everyone defaults to "hey stone should cut like glass right? right? " *Asterisk for later*

the "proper" cutting RPM for any diamond bit is faster than your drill press can go. For most softish stones (Softer than 8 mohs hardness) you want to run about 5000~6000 Surface Feet per Minute (SFM)

Rough napkin math, that's ~750000~900000 RPM (no my cat didn't add zeroes)

That later Asterisk

Glass ALSO should be cut that fast. However most people's setups aren't ridged enough OR have too much runout in the bit and the side forces wind up cracking the glass.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Thanks for the link, never thought to even check ask/tell :v:

Ive cut more ceramic than glass for stuff like plant pots, etc so I drew from that knowledge. Using a masonry bit just exploded the test stone I was drilling though.

Interesting that the speeds should be that much higher, my twist bits were failing because the diamonds were wearing off the tips very quickly so I assumed they were overheating from the speed.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

Thanks for the link, never thought to even check ask/tell :v:

Ive cut more ceramic than glass for stuff like plant pots, etc so I drew from that knowledge. Using a masonry bit just exploded the test stone I was drilling though.

Interesting that the speeds should be that much higher, my twist bits were failing because the diamonds were wearing off the tips very quickly so I assumed they were overheating from the speed.

Most likely no.

too low of a speed and you're twisting the diamonds out of the plating layer holding them on.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hmm, so you're saying the bigger hole saws in my drill press should work better, not worse since they should have a higher speed at the cutting edge?

🤔

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

Hmm, so you're saying the bigger hole saws in my drill press should work better, not worse since they should have a higher speed at the cutting edge?

🤔

Cutting wise?

yes.

it starts to approach the other issue of setup rigidity starts to come in.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I made some cabs. Cabochons. Shaped rocks. w/e.

Anyway I hot glued some stone discs to dowels and then chucked them in my drill. Then I spin them against a flatlap disc in my drill press.

Results: pretty dece imo. I'm gonna throw them in the tumbler to actually shine them up. Also made a ring to see if I could.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

From PYF Bad Homes
https://i.imgur.com/jyihbZT.mp4

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol

I upgraded my rock saw. After getting the blade jammed in my workpiece a few times I made a pulley drive so the motor can slip instead of overheat. Link belt kicks rear end

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 15, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got some neat fossil material so I've been making this nice pendant for the gf

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have only ever read settings out to my grandpa while he worked the faceting machine but he had a modest specimen collection and dabbled in (far as I can tell) all the cutting and polishing aspects as well as a bit of jewelry making.

I definitely soaked up the general interest though, it’s on my list of things to try sometime.

I could post a couple things he cut if that would be if any interest?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Post away otherwise this thread is just my blog :v:

My friend asked me to make him a wood jewelry box for his wife and I suggested a stone mosaic on top. Here's where I'm at so far (she makes wine for a living)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I may have a few chunks 7" square x 1.125" thick of labradorite soon from a miscut on a countertop. I have no rockworking knowledge, but a fair bit of woodworking knowledge and was wondering if my normal HSS woodworking lathe tools would be able to (slowly) cut it? I was thinking of turning some coasters or little lamp/planter bases on the lathe. I could also get carbide scrapers. Or is in general rock cutting done more through abrasives than steel?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Theoretically possible but it's going to wreck your tools. You really want abrasives and something that can keep everything wet as you work, to keep the tooling and material from cooking and the silicosis out of your lungs

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Theoretically possible but it's going to wreck your tools. You really want abrasives and something that can keep everything wet as you work, to keep the tooling and material from cooking and the silicosis out of your lungs
Yeah I definitely had figured on working wet. I have an old lathe with a very well sealed up headstock I was thinking of trying it with with lots of plastic sheeting over basically everything to contain the grit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Get diamond grit tools imo, they aren't expensive. dont gently caress around w hss especially if you have 0 lapidary experience or its gonna be a big headache

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PokeJoe posted:

Get diamond grit tools imo, they aren't expensive. dont gently caress around w hss especially if you have 0 lapidary experience or its gonna be a big headache

Yah I posted in the A/T thread and they all convinced me that this potential endeavor was not going to be at all worth the hassle and I have abandoned it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I still cut rocks but I haven't posted about it in a while. I sliced a bunch of stones today to make little slabs for cabs and magnets and inlays and such

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 21, 2024