Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Someone said you could charge the new AirPods from the phone, but I don’t see anything about that on the AirPods Pro page. Just MagSafe and Qi and Apple Watch chargers. Too bad, that would have been cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pants Donkey posted:

The 15 base models do NOT have always on display

what the gently caress

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So with the new USB-C, does that mean I can plug in my Xreal Air AR glasses like I do with my iPad Mini and watch Netflix or whatever? That may be the killer feature for me with some big storage if so.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Someone said you could charge the new AirPods from the phone, but I don’t see anything about that on the AirPods Pro page. Just MagSafe and Qi and Apple Watch chargers. Too bad, that would have been cool!

The keynote showed an iphone and airpods pro 2 connected and charging via usb-c. So I assume Lightning airpods pro 2 users are screwed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

I remember the android phones and tablets able to do bidirectional inductive charge to be a nightmare to use due to misalignment of coils. Unless you want to have half of the phone weight in magnets, i'm not seeing it happening real soon.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Huh, Hermes stays with fabric and rubber watch bands.

No leather and FineWoven cases for the iPhone 14 Pro on Apple's website.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ehhhhh $480 trade in for my 13 Pro.

edit: T-Mob offering a better deal I think? The wording is strange.

AT&T is offering $800 trade-in for my 12 Pro. But you have to sign up for the 36 month installment plan so that virtually locks you in with them for the next 3 years I guess? Still seems like a good deal since I had no plans to switch carriers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1701666538867286144

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Isn't this the same kit provided for ipad gen10?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The keynote showed an iphone and airpods pro 2 connected and charging via usb-c. So I assume Lightning airpods pro 2 users are screwed.

Oh via the cable, duh.

Man I am ready for USB-C, and I can get $900 CDN on trade-in for my 14 Pro Max…

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm on a grandfathered T-Mobile plan so my options for trade-in are Apple ($320 for the 13 mini :rip: ) or whatever Best Buy ends up coming with. Hate to leave the mini form factor behind but I'm looking forward to a new phone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Oh, well that is an actual advantage of USB-C I guess.

Did the iPads already support that?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Gonna see how little my 128GB XR goes for

e: actually I think I’m too scared to check

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

buglord posted:

Gonna see how little my 128GB XR goes for

e: actually I think I’m too scared to check

Just hand it down to a relative like everyone should.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did they mention if the pros use the new qi standard?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

incoherent posted:

This is like the first time I can recall they said nothing about an iOS. It was all hardware and very weird tbh.

No it's pretty standard. The iOS updates are announced in the spring. Everything about iOS 17 is known because it's been available to the public as a beta for months now.

The only thing they might save for the fall announcement is any specific features to the new hardware. Like dynamic island last year.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait, how does MagSafe work again? I remember the diagram but the one on the site just shows a plain-jane USB-C connector going into the phone. Didn't the keynote show a MagSafe connector on the phone itself? Is it a combo somehow?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

smackfu posted:

Oh, well that is an actual advantage of USB-C I guess.

Did the iPads already support that?

You can at least charge the pencil with the usbc iPad, not sure about the AirPods.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Just hand it down to a relative like everyone should.

All my relatives are between 1-3 generations ahead of me lol.

e: this is my third post on the topic but christ alive what awful 15 colors. im like actually incredibly disappointed lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Wait, how does MagSafe work again? I remember the diagram but the one on the site just shows a plain-jane USB-C connector going into the phone. Didn't the keynote show a MagSafe connector on the phone itself? Is it a combo somehow?

It uses usb-c to plug into a wall wart. It’s just a wireless charger that connects firmly to the iphone so you don’t have situations like with the watch where it moved half a centimeter and stops charging

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pants Donkey posted:

Did they mention if the pros use the new qi standard?

I thought the new Qi standard was just Magsafe as a standard.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IPHONE SUX!!11 ANDROID 4EVA

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh man, apple doesn't even list my Google pixel 7 pro as a trade in option lmfaoooo

Guess I'll sell it on swappa.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Going to keep this thread open until 2pm Pacific, and then it's forever-bedtime for the event thread.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Three Olives posted:

I thought the new Qi standard was just Magsafe as a standard.

Nah there’s a qi2 or something that the new phones were rumored to use

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Nah there’s a qi2 or something that the new phones were rumored to use

Yeah, one of the biggest features of Qi2 is they accepted Apple's proposal everyone use their magnet solution.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Am I an idiot if I return my Amazon AirPod Pros I bought a week ago just so I can order a pair with the new port and be done with lightning forever?

zhar
May 3, 2019

think ill keep chugging along with my 6s for another year still enjoying use of the headphone jack

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rolo posted:

Am I an idiot if I return my Amazon AirPod Pros I bought a week ago just so I can order a pair with the new port and be done with lightning forever?

Does yours have the wireless charging case? If so, throw the cable away!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rolo posted:

Honestly? I'd do the exact same thing - standardize on USB C imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

TraderStav posted:

Does yours have the wireless charging case? If so, throw the cable away!

I just melted in the iPhone thread, I’ve had an Apple Watch for years and didn’t know I could use the same cable. Did they just do that for the 2nd gen? Could have sworn I tried it on my OG Pros.