Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I'm not a make-up artist, or a beautician, and I've only ever worn make-up on Halloween.

As a make-up novice I do not legitimately know the reasons we prefer red makeup. I know that it was heavily desired, and a big symbol for women's suffrage, but I don't particularly understand why red.

If I had to guess why red, it would be because it highlights the natural skin tones already present in our skin or lips, to offer an illusion of extra health. It also is the color of our blood when exposed to oxygen. There appear to be more than a few reasons why red is the popular choice.

Which brings me to Disney+'s latest show, Ahsoka, and one of it's lead characters, Hera Syndulla.

Hera is a green Twi'lek. Yet she wears traditional human make-up, red lipstick and pink blush. Does this make sense when working with a completely different skin color palette? If important for analysis, Twi'lek blood varies from magenta to royal blue.

https://i.imgur.com/uC9TI6b.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person
Refusing to comply verticality statistics since 6/30/23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Jelly posted:

Hera is a green Twi'lek. Yet she wears traditional human make-up, red lipstick and pink blush. Does this make sense when working with a completely different skin color palette? If important for analysis, Twi'lek blood varies from magenta to royal blue.

Historically, beauty standards for lighter skin tones have been pushed on people with darker skin tones. I would assume that would happen in the star wars universe too.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

so do you think racists in star wars are more likely to be just a little racist like they specifically hate jawas or whatever or do you think they’re more of the full blown all-aliens-are-scum kind of racists?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Green skin with red lips. Christmas Eve lookin' rear end mother fucker.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, nice siggy.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think it depends on the outfit

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
hey OP i think it might be bacause Hera the green Twi'Lek is actually a human female actress in costume

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I feel like green lipstick would look better. In some of the pictures of her that red is way too loving much

Also this

Literally A Person posted:

Green skin with red lips. Christmas Eve lookin' rear end mother fucker.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
as long as it makes the aliens sexier

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
One year I decided for Halloween to go as the green skinned babe in the original Star Trek

This was possibly the stupidest idea I ever had

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

And there is a fuckt9n of competition for this

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i hear it’s not easy being green

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

how long did it take to get the green paint out of everything you owned?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

how long did it take to get the green paint out of everything you owned?

It was face paint
I looked like Martin Sheen coming out of the water in Apocalypse Now

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Spinz posted:

It was face paint
I looked like Martin Sheen coming out of the water in Apocalypse Now

Haha that rules but probably not the look you were going for

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh this thread is about sci-fi aliens, I was hoping to see some tarted-up greys.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

Oh this thread is about sci-fi aliens, I was hoping to see some tarted-up greys.

:same:

For green skin, you want a purple lip stick, with the precise tone based on the nuance. I know you can get away with pink and green.

I don't think OP is too serious about this because there's no receipts, no examples dug up to support the outrage. :colbert:

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Spinz posted:

One year I decided for Halloween to go as the green skinned babe in the original Star Trek

This was possibly the stupidest idea I ever had

Did you wear the space bikini?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Extra row of tits posted:

Did you wear the space bikini?

post/username combo

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Opened thread expecting to see the Big Chap with some lipstick and glitter on, left very disappointed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Dick Fontaine posted:

so do you think racists in star wars are more likely to be just a little racist like they specifically hate jawas or whatever or do you think they’re more of the full blown all-aliens-are-scum kind of racists?
Full blown racist. It's why you don't see any aliens in the empire, but the rebels were chock full of em. I don't know if they go into it in Ahsoka or not, but they might since I hear Thrawn is in it?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Mistle posted:

:same:

For green skin, you want a purple lip stick, with the precise tone based on the nuance. I know you can get away with pink and green.

I don't think OP is too serious about this because there's no receipts, no examples dug up to support the outrage. :colbert:
I'd say this is a fair assessment as I don't have a ton of passion behind it, but it was swimming around in my head about a week before I made this post so I'm definitely trying to scratch an itch here. I don't really care what the answer is, I just want to hear ideas.

My own personal thought is the whole "red/suffrage" thing was poignant enough that it carries into our entertainment, logic be damned. Alternatively, show runners simply weren't clever enough to ask this question themselves.

Purple does seem to make sense for lipstick, I feel like a yellow/light green would work better for the blush, as I feel the pink there is really offsetting.

But I also really like this take:

bossy lady posted:

Historically, beauty standards for lighter skin tones have been pushed on people with darker skin tones. I would assume that would happen in the star wars universe too.

And look, if you want to discuss cosmetology options for the greys, that's open turf here as well.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

greys don't have lips so they'll need a lip liner as well

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

greys don't have lips so they'll need a lip liner as well

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I was looking for some sort of behind the scenes design video but found this entertainment weekly article instead.

https://ew.com/tv/rosario-dawson-ahsoka-makeup-process/

quote:

Early on, for example, the crew noticed that certain shades of face paint looked different whether Dawson was filming in natural sunlight or in the bright glow of the Volume (the groundbreaking LED technology used to project realistic backgrounds on set).

"It was like, 'Okay, I look really good in the light, but I'm neon now,'" she recalls with a laugh. As a result, the color had to be carefully adjusted for each scene to maintain consistency throughout.

From every other behind-the-scenes extensive make-up featurette I’ve seen, and I admittedly love that poo poo, there’ve already been a bunch of screen tests in different lighting, etc, so the make up won’t stand out as looking completely different in different scenes. Although, the ones I’ve seen are probably all for movies, not tv series.

Maybe they figured the discrepancies would be caught and corrected in post, but post didn’t give a poo poo about color matching on that level.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Dick Fontaine posted:

People in Star Wars are mostly racist towards droids hth.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I thought the empire was l like 99% racist against everything unless it was ominously evil seeming, like a spooky vizier type figure with head tentacles or a torture droid or a blue guy in a nazi admiral uniform

Sucks that everything these days is lame

*turns on monitor*

Sucks that everything these days is lame

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

The bigness of the alien titties is all i care about honestly

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I always figured it was red to mimic blushing which is like a girly thing to do I guess. Hence why it's called blush.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
From the title I thought OP meant the Ridley Scott aliens like

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Devils Affricate posted:

That's a James Cameron alien UGH don't you know anything!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

works best when it highlights what you got

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Knormal posted:

Stargate's The Asgard are both!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

works best when it highlights what you got

I would like to scribe to your newsletter

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

wow nsfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think they're beautiful even without make-up.