Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm a) cheap and b) think disposable electronics are bad and evil, plus c) have a kid who likes toys, so if I have a choice at all, I'll get something with replaceable batteries, and use rechargeable NiMH batteries with them. A good set of Panasonic Eneloops have a moderate up-front cost, but last a really long time.

On my desk right now, the mouse, keyboard, wireless touchpad, flashlight, digital camera, voice recorder, radio, and (yes) desk clock all use rechargeables. The clock is an old Micronta from Radio Shack that runs for two months on a AA, and I love it for being old and redundant, like I am. The camera is a Canon and uses its own special battery, but it's replaceable.

Things on my desk that will die when the battery eventually dies: phone, 8bitdo game controller, bluetooth speaker. The speaker (an ancient Logitech) has been around for over a decade, to my surprise.

e: I guess I'd say that some aged single tasking items can sometimes be life-enhancing. My phone provides all the news and podcasts that I want, but a radio isn't just good for emergencies, sometimes it's good for just tuning into news or music from a different bubble, or even oddball church stuff from two cities over. It's just nice to sometimes have stuff that only does one thing, and does it well.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A lot of those old Micronta clocks were stylish, worth it just as a showpiece.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Amphigory posted:

I've got 2 young kids with approximately 1 million toys that take double As, and I'm constantly being told things have run out of battery

I have never bought as many batteries regularly in my life as I do now

So stop pissing money away already and buy a good smart recharger and a supply of rechargeable batteries. Almost all toys will work with standard ones.

Just carefully train the kids (and any other household members) to never put non-rechargeable batteries into the charger, so they don't burn down your home.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
A nice digital watch (read :Casio) that has a good count up timer

Its handy to be able to quickly set a court up time from your wrist

I have to measure seizure times, cook rice, measure the titration of my medication, make sure the dog doesn't get walked immediately after being fed

And more

And hot drat, a little stopwatch is handy for this poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got at Timex T80 Steel for my birthday and love it- very nerdy, but great!

On a shittier note, if you have cats, buying the larger scooper they have at Walmart makes life so much easier. Schooling litter takes seconds now because the thing is the size of a shovel. I’ve been using the small scoop for years and have probably wasted an hour or two of my life in comparison.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I find having a smartwatch as incredibly life-enhancing, but I use it differently than a lot of people. I haven't really used any of the fitness stuff with my smartwatches, and instead use them as an extension of my phone. Not having to pull my phone out of my pocket to read texts or notifications is super handy, and being able to control my media player when driving a car that has limited Bluetooth integration is also incredibly convenient. I also have always worn a watch, so being able to have an always-on display with an analog face is a bonus for me, but not all my smartwatches have had that capability.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Jestery posted:

A nice digital watch (read :Casio) that has a good count up timer

Its handy to be able to quickly set a court up time from your wrist

I have to measure seizure times, cook rice, measure the titration of my medication, make sure the dog doesn't get walked immediately after being fed

And more

And hot drat, a little stopwatch is handy for this poo poo

Most those items seem they would be better served with a count-down

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I find having a smartwatch as incredibly life-enhancing, but I use it differently than a lot of people. I haven't really used any of the fitness stuff with my smartwatches, and instead use them as an extension of my phone. Not having to pull my phone out of my pocket to read texts or notifications is super handy, and being able to control my media player when driving a car that has limited Bluetooth integration is also incredibly convenient. I also have always worn a watch, so being able to have an always-on display with an analog face is a bonus for me, but not all my smartwatches have had that capability.

To my understanding this is the standard use-case for smart watches.
(All their other features, such as steps tracking or heartrate monitoring, seem to be bells and whistles to make what is otherwise a very small phone that you wear on your wrist seem worthwhile. When smart watches first arrived on the scene they were distinct from 'fitbits'. Now they're one and the same.)

I can't bring myself around to pull the trigger on one as a productivity tool. Feels like it would be anti-productive since you're just adding steps in the middle of normal processes.

Controlling bluetooth media in the car is cool though they make specific remotes for that that clip to your steering wheel so you can still drive safely.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I’ve honestly considered going full cellular on mine as a way to leave the phone in the bag more. I underestimated its utility initially but now I couldn’t go without - a life remote on my wrist that lets me stream, message, track events and reminders, and control my home is helpful and doesn’t let me scroll whatever mindlessly.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Having extra phone chargers is so worth it.

Have one for your spare room, your bathroom, your car, work.

You can fuckin afford it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just don't go for a GRESDGDSDRR brand charger, if you don't want to shell out for first party stick with anker

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This isn't an "object" per se, but 10 years ago I added a keyboard shortcut into my phone, so that every time I type "dmg" it autocorrects to my full email address. This has saved me tons of time and effort over the last decade!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LuckyCat posted:

This isn't an "object" per se, but 10 years ago I added a keyboard shortcut into my phone, so that every time I type "dmg" it autocorrects to my full email address. This has saved me tons of time and effort over the last decade!
That is extremely clever and I am going to set that up today.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Just got finished washing my entire bedding and if you turn and toss and slither in your sleep like I do, Walmart has fitted sheet straps that will tighten up and prevent the fitted sheet on your mattress from becoming a slip and slide. They will also make it look like a nice smooth inviting mattress and not a wrinkled rear end unkempt mess.

IKEA also has them for not much more than Walmart, and both stores usually carry them in store if you need them right this minute instead of shipped.

I have the IKEA ones and they work great :tootzzz:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

I put one of these in my kitchen sink to stop food and detritus going from down the drain

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

LuckyCat posted:

Same here but @@ for email and a few others like ggg or iii for common usernames. It's a nice feeling to zip through those fields with the shortcuts.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Incremus posted:

Same here but @@ for email and a few others like ggg or iii for common usernames. It's a nice feeling to zip through those fields with the shortcuts.

I use the prefix "qz" for a lot of similar things; it's a bigram that doesn't occur much. for example qzr for site:reddit.com and qzy for 2023-01-01 (helps with before:/after: type queries)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Most those items seem they would be better served with a count-down

Some yes some no

If you are going to have one tool for the job, on your wrist, better to have a general solution and do the legwork after for special cases. A count down timer means you need to set each individual case

I don't want to be fiddling with numbers and minutes and seconds when I'm dealing with stuff. I just wanna press the button and have some record of elapsed time

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pimpcasso posted:

Cut your homemade pizza with regular rear end scissors

We do this with a designated pair of scissors that are made for the office but used in the kitchen. I wash them and everything is good.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For the old folks out there, a big magnifying glass with LED lights.

Makes reading the side effects of your new presciption a snap!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Having lots of lava lamps

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can't stress it enough: Extendible back scratcher. The one I have has different surfaces on each side for your scratching pleasure.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mr.Acula posted:

Having lots of lava lamps

Seconding. Comfy glow, can keep the heat off in winter. Don't drop them.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The reverse penis pump, in case your furiously fantastical fornicator is just too brutally huge to take with you

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

aniviron posted:

Seconding. Comfy glow, can keep the heat off in winter. Don't drop them.

also useful for cryptography

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Anyone have any life-enhancing objects to deal with dog turds in the yard? That would probably be the biggest life-changing thing for me right now saving me 1-2 hours playing turd hunt with a shovel each week. We own the shittingest dog I've ever seen. I should be thankful he's always regular, but Jesus Christ.

Re: Dog poo poo.

You can get Dung Beetles online that live in your lawn and eat dogshit.

Re: Bidets.

naem posted:

I just installed a bidet, genuinely life changing

^^^

Frogz posted:

I don't own a bidet, so help me understand: does it clean everything thoroughly? Or would you still need to use toilet paper, only less than before? Because sometimes, after a substantial challenge, it feels like I'm wiping a permanent marker.

I can change the pressure on mine to the point where it will abrade flesh. I keep it on about ¼ throttle.

There was a slight learning curve at first, but now I look back on the bad old days of using abrasive wood fibre to wipe my arse and laugh.

Everything is cleaned thoroughly :)

I've been using the same toilet roll for over a month now. There is still ½ a roll left.

It cost me $39 :australia:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

also useful for cryptography

I didn't realize the internal graphics cards had gotten that advanced

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Carrying a tambourine sort of let's you take charge of any situation you find yourself in

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Songbearer posted:

The reverse penis pump, in case your furiously fantastical fornicator is just too brutally huge to take with you

It really is my bag.

Baby.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Icochet posted:

Carrying a tambourine sort of let's you take charge of any situation you find yourself in

Not all of us have the Chr to Bard

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Anyone have any life-enhancing objects to deal with dog turds in the yard? That would probably be the biggest life-changing thing for me right now saving me 1-2 hours playing turd hunt with a shovel each week. We own the shittingest dog I've ever seen. I should be thankful he's always regular, but Jesus Christ.

rats eat dog poo poo, you could try rats

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just bring your dog to the dog park and leave their poo poo on the ground for somebody else to pick up/step in/eat

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Soul Dentist posted:

I didn't realize the internal graphics cards had gotten that advanced

as if a gpu could ever compete with the entropy of man’s perfect creation, the lava lamp :smugdog:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Icochet posted:

Same thing but for real with a traffic cone and reflective vest. Hardhat if you really want to go the extra yard.

Nov 12, 2023
No Result Found

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Icochet posted:

Curiously, bongos have the opposite effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Curiously, bongos have the opposite effect.

Acoustic guitars this magical middle ground