Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Valentina is like a 7/8 choke artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

oh, good, it turns out it's total bullshit

mister
Dec 18, 2011
Round 5 was the 10-8? How?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

great fight, close as hell, but 10-8 rd 5 is absolutely insane

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I, uh, I hate to say it, but Shev might have a point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rjmccall posted:

Oh man, I got no loving clue,

I think it was unfair for the commentators to drag you so hard, Mr. Bell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven’t watched UFC much in a decade, and it’s good to see that almost nothing has changed.

700 fighters on the roster? Jesus, I remember losing most of my interest when The Ultimate Fighter was airing almost constantly and felt like it was flooding the roster.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yeah a 10-8 for round 5 is wild as hell. "sus" as the kids might say

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/SJSamano/status/1703272401075933477

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven’t watched UFC much in a decade, and it’s good to see that almost nothing has changed.

700 fighters on the roster? Jesus, I remember losing most of my interest when The Ultimate Fighter was airing almost constantly and felt like it was flooding the roster.

Now it's flooded with Contender Series fighters and it's 10x worse

Also that judge should be exiled not just from combat sports but society in general

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It did change, they added a third dimension to it. There's the striking, the ground game from before but they added the be a bigot on social media game too and while you don't do that in the fight, it can get you a title shot if you're super good at it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I mean, that could have covered a bunch of scorecard x result combinations.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I think a draw was maybe the right outcome, they both had great moments throughout the fight. I will happily watch 2 more of these - Valentina to tie it 1-1-1 and then the tiebreaker.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

delightful posted:

I think a draw was maybe the right outcome, they both had great moments throughout the fight. I will happily watch 2 more of these - Valentina to tie it 1-1-1 and then the tiebreaker.

I think you could maybe justify a draw under pride rules, but a draw as-scored makes no sense

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Did they change the rules from a 10-8 is an all time beatdown but the ref can't justify ending the fight because technically they are trying to defend themselves enough?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Goofballs posted:

Did they change the rules from a 10-8 is an all time beatdown but the ref can't justify ending the fight because technically they are trying to defend themselves enough?

don't worry, the unified rules are extremely clear about what constitutes a 10-8 round

The Unified Rules posted:

A 10 – 8 Round in MMA is where one fighter wins the round by a large margin. A 10 – 8 round
in MMA is not the most common score a judge will render, but it is absolutely essential to the
evolution of the sport and the fairness to the fighters that judges understand and effectively
utilize the score of 10 – 8. A score of 10 – 8 does not require a fighter to dominate their
opponent for 5 minutes of a round. The score of 10 – 8 is utilized by the judge when the judge
sees verifiable actions on the part of either fighter. Judges shall ALWAYS give a score of 10 – 8
when the judge has established that one fighter has dominated the action of the round, had
duration of the domination and also impacted their opponent with either effective strikes or
effective grappling maneuvers that have diminished the abilities of their opponent. Judges must
CONSIDER giving the score of 10 – 8 when a fighter shows dominance in the round even
though no impactful scoring against the opponent was achieved. MMA is an offensive based
sport. No scoring is given for defensive maneuvers. Using smart, tactically sound defensive
maneuvers allows the fighter to stay in the fight and to be competitive. Dominance of a round
can be seen in striking when the losing fighter continually attempts to defend, with no counters
or reaction taken when openings present themselves. Dominance in the grappling phase can be
seen by fighters taking DOMINANT POSITIONS in the fight and utilizing those positions to
attempt fight ending submissions or attacks. If a fighter has little to no offensive output during a
5 minute round, it should be normal for the judge to consider awarding the losing fighter 8 points
instead of 9. Judges must CONSIDER giving the score of 10 – 8 when a fighter IMPACTS their
opponent significantly in a round even though they do not dominate the action. Effectiveness in
striking or grappling which leads to a diminishing of a fighter’s energy, confidence, abilities and
spirit. All of these come as a direct result of negative impact. When a fighter is hurt with strikes,
showing a lack of control or ability, these can be defining moments in the fight. If a judge sees
that a fighter has been significantly damaged in the round the judge should CONSIDER the
score of 10 – 8.

See? Perfectly clear.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

CarlCX posted:

don't worry, the unified rules are extremely clear about what constitutes a 10-8 round

See? Perfectly clear.

If I'm a judge how do I determine when someone has lost confidence or when someone has lost "spirit"?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In practice I think e: judges just hand out the 10-8 for one knockdown with otherwise even action.
Holloway x Kattar is the one that springs to mind where it was dominant and damaging throughout each round.

> an all time beatdown but the ref can't justify ending the fight
That lines up pretty closely with the definition for 10-7, which appropriately rarely happens:

A 10 – 7 Round in MMA is when a fighter completely overwhelms their opponent in Effective Striking and/or Grappling and stoppage is warranted

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 17, 2023

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm a moron because my eyes glazed over at that, I thought it had to be Jon Fitch v BJ Penn round 3 levels of damage

mister
Dec 18, 2011
I could see giving Shevchenko a 10-8 in round 3, which would get you to 47-47 if you gave her a 10-9 in round 1 and then gave Grasso 10-9's for rounds 2, 4, and 5. I was sure that was how that judge scored it until they showed the scores on screen and said it was the fifth round that got the 10-8.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

very relatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Grasso objectively won because that is the outcome I wanted.