Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ok yeah, that maze traversal sequence just goes straight into "what were they thinking :psyduck:" territory.

Honestly, for all the game's other charms, I would probably just quit right there.

e: I guess what I mean is, thank you for playing it so I don't have to :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For all of the whimsy in this game, the fact that this world is floating in a black bottomless void gave me existential dread as a kid and still does as an adult. Yeah I get that it's a factor of shooting their clay models on a soundstage, but it still freaks me out a bit

Also I love the music in this game, it reminds me of some alternate timeline where there was a bluegrass/proto-jazz revival in the 90s rather than a swing revival. As others have said, the other tracks on the radio are fun to scroll through.

Also also, there's an easter egg in Willie's house if you were paying attention in the Hall of Records :ssh: recognize his dad?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The Ogdilla section is now recorded. All 25? sections of it and I think I'm only about four screens of around thirty are now done. I just need to chop up all the screenshots and stitch things back together again.

I think that the LP will be long over by the time that I've finished with the chronicles.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
There's an easter egg in the Hall of Records where if you walk to the end with the lights off, you can see a signature from one of the designers tucked away in the corner.

the thread posted:

Skullmonkeys

I always wanted to play Skullmonkeys, but I never found a copy until after I sold my PS1. I suppose I could always emulate it.

The Neverhood team also did a third game for Playstation called Boombots. I did play that back in the day, and it was...not great. However, it did have Klaymen as an unlockable character, and there was a stage set in the Neverhood. (You can also see Klaymen in the distance on the front cover.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-tNq2fqc8o&t=868s

The Neverhood also a got a release for PS1 in Japan, and that led to Japan-only game called Klaymen Gun Hockey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsX7s4lXP7Q

Randalor posted:

This is what the Neverhood wiki has to say on the subject:

"The man in the T.V. (TV guy) is briefly seen hanging from the ceiling in the Aqua House. He has a large nose and glasses and says, "Hey Klaymen, say knock knock." He only says this once in the game and Klaymen cannot interact with him, but he tends to watch Klaymen as he walks across the screen."

That's it. That's the entire entry.

As a child, I always thought maybe there was some specific thing you had to do or click in order to get Klaymen to respond. Things like that in games always mystified me.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

We get to explore more new areas in this video and we solve a couple of puzzles along the way. I believe that I have made use of all of the notes that I've made so far, which I'm happy about. But I also know what's about to come, but we will talk about that when it happens.

I'm still working on the chronicles, it's just going to take a while. Ogdilla is composed of 34 different sections and I'm only about a quarter of the way through taking screenshots of the recordings. So far, I have recorded a total of seven screens worth of text but I believe there are thirty-eight(?) screens in total. I will give Armikrog a shot after The Neverhood has finished so I'll keep the chronicles going even after this playthrough has concluded.

Max Wilco posted:

There's an easter egg in the Hall of Records where if you walk to the end with the lights off, you can see a signature from one of the designers tucked away in the corner.

Thank you for the write-up, Max Wilco. I'll definitely check out the easter egg at some point. I believe that there is an easter egg in the starting room as well. I'll try to compile a video of extra footage at some point.

If anyone has any interesting things to find in the game, please let me know.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

That puzzle with the 12 symbols is probably the most tedious in the game, mainly due to how you have to enter the sequence. Though I suppose there's no other way to incorporate the sound clue.

I didn't expect I would be learning anything new from watching this LP, but I'd actually never seen the bit at 19:40.

There are a few minor slip-ups visible from the floating island:
The bridge over the (former) lake is raised, despite the fact that it has be lowered for you to even get this far.
After removing the bolt, you can kinda glimpse the chain piling up against the "void" while turning to the vista and back.

Also, I never understood how removing that bolt makes the rest of the world move, since that island has no connections to anything besides the chain.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The potion recipes are randomized each time, but BOBBY is always the solution as it's carved into the actual clay model.

I also never understood the physics of the world separation that you undo in this video. The chain pulling the one side away from the other still has some slack, it's not doing anything!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I managed to find the soundtrack for this game, which includes the radio songs, but I'll refrain from uploading any tracks due to the copyrights. I'll just record what we experience in the game.

I played a song to my six-year old this morning and she found it amusing, she ended up listening to them all and had fun in doing so.

They're available to play/buy here: https://terryscotttaylor.bandcamp.com/album/neverhood-songs-deluxe

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This recording was another mixed bag. As I said in the video, I'm not going to lie but the first puzzle takes me a long time to complete and work out a few more things for a later puzzle. In fact, it takes me twelve minutes to do so. We then get around eight minutes of seeing new areas and solving more puzzles before walking all the way back to the first Klaymen kar to pick up an object and then walking all the way back across the bridge again. I decided to end the video with a little bit of excitement.

Skip to 12:19 if you want to avoid the boring parts of the first puzzle, which is all of it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The code entry sequence is an interesting puzzle but jesus its so slow. It so so slow.

I never played more than the demo of this but it still stuck with me because of how charming the animation was. Interested to see the end

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You've got the video mislabeled on Youtube as another Part 4.

Anyway, as a kid, this part always struck me as horribly unfair - I thought we should use the cannon to hit the crane so robot gets its teddy bear.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

You've got the video mislabeled on Youtube as another Part 4.

Anyway, as a kid, this part always struck me as horribly unfair - I thought we should use the cannon to hit the crane so robot gets its teddy bear.

Thank you for letting me know, I've changed it now.

The robots head is now at ground level which hopefully that means that we can fix it. Maybe the robot will get the teddy after all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That mouse maze puzzle was the one that stumped me for a long long time as a kid. The trick is that the mouse will always be facing in the direction of the correct door, because it's sniffing out the cheese. The game hints at this before you activate the puzzle but I didn't realize that it was supposed to be a hint!

Also I love that there are bespoke music tracks for single rooms that you spend less than 30 seconds in over the course of the game.

E: if you turn and look at the castle after coming out of that raspberry(?) house, you can't approach it but you do hear someone laughing.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 4, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

There is a short animation involving Willie at the point where you hear his voice. If you put the cursor at the top half of the screen while facing towards the teleporter, you will look up instead of moving forwards. Of course, that is no longer available at the point this video ended.

Something I've always wondered - but never tried - about the matching minigame is whether or not it is actually neccessary to complete it. You need to write down all of the symbold to solve it, but once you have done that the actual board seems optional.

The radio needs to be turned to the first song in order for the door ouside to be open - you can tell from the light.

And we finally got to the payoff for the foreshadowing in the first video (the animation in the room with the blue button).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

There is a short animation involving Willie at the point where you hear his voice. If you put the cursor at the top half of the screen while facing towards the teleporter, you will look up instead of moving forwards. Of course, that is no longer available at the point this video ended.

I wasn't aware of this, thank you. I'll add it to the list for the bonus video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've spent the past hour and a half trying to piece together Ogdilla and I'm only about 3/5ths of the way through. Ogdilla is split into 33 different sections and I'm trying to piece each entry into images with a maximum length of 5000 pixels. Even if I did post each segment individually I'd still have to edit them anyway so it makes more sense to try to condense things down as much as I can. I've created 10 image files so far, it's probably going to take another hour to do more but I'm going to take a break until I have more time to spare on another day. I haven't even begun the video yet.

It's safe to say that even after the playthrough is over, there will still be updates happening months afterwards. I'm going to aim to have the next game update up at some point over the weekend.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
As a person who has built maps of Exile from the in-game map, I sympathize with your plight. Don't overdo it!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

berryjon posted:

As a person who has built maps of Exile from the in-game map, I sympathize with your plight. Don't overdo it!

I've learnt that the hard way several times. The other side of the coin is that I underdo it and put it off for too long. There's still an extra video that I need to do for The Space Bar, but that involves playing through most of the game again and I really don't have the strength to load it up again any time soon. I will get around to it eventually though, I uploaded a bonus video for Monkey Island 2 around 5 years after the LP was over. I also did one for Star Trek 25th Anniversary a while after that was over and recently someone else has pointed out another scene that I missed which I might try to get at one day soon.

I will persevere with the chronicles though as I'm sure that if I stopped making an effort now I'd become overwhelmed with the amount of work if I tried to return to it later. I'm going to work on Ogdilla some more tomorrow night and try to have something ready on Sunday alongside another update.

Bertbert is much more longer than Ogdilla, but now I know what I'm doing with the chronicles the work should flow more quickly.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I always wanted to play Skullmonkeys, but I never found a copy until after I sold my PS1. I suppose I could always emulate it.

The best parts of Skullmonkeys are three to five tracks of Terry S Taylor (The Neverhood Theme Skullmonkey'ed, Beep Bop Bo, and Bonus Room in particular) and the animated cutscenes. It was a competent but kinda meh platformer.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It looks like the next recording is going to be the last of this playthrough. I will attempt a recording this weekend and I will record some additional footage at some point soon afterwards. I have on the list so far:

Potential easter egg in the first room.
Signature in the hall of records - Max Wilco.
Willie animation - Nostalgamus.
A scene in the next update.

I will move on to Armikrog soon afterwards. My daughter will be coming down from Scotland on the 15th for at least 10 days so my focus will be on spending time with her, so if I do start it before she comes down there may be a bit of a delay with updates.

anilEhilated posted:

This was such a wonderfully imaginative game; shame its main designer is such a shitbag.

e: Anyway for something a bit more substantial - between Broken Sword, Monkey Islands, Normality, Simon the Sorcerer, Sam & Max and this, you've somehow managed to pretty much complete the catalog of adventure games I played as a kid (the only other ones I remember having were funnily enough topically related - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Atlantis: the Lost Tales). Thanks for all the nostalgia!

I completely missed the edit the first time around, I only caught it when I was going back through the posts. I have been thinking about going back to some of the LucasArts at some point. I was avoiding some games as they're already in the archives but I seem to have inadvertently completed several LP's that are already in there already. I would like to do the Indiana Jones games at some point as well as playing through Loom and The Dig for the first time (as well as doing LP's of them). I'm feeling an itch to play through the third Discworld game again at some point.

There isn't a definitive list of what's planned for the future and it's liable to change at a moments notice. Armikrog was shoe-horned in, which seemed to make sense seeing as I'm playing The Neverhood. It's very likely that I'll be testing out Callahan's Crosstime Saloon for a potential LP, I'm also tempted to play a couple of early Frogwares titles before they threw all of their eggs into the Sherlock Holmes franchise. I also have a bunch of obscure adventure games that I'd like to fit in at some point too.

I'm committed to The Walking Dead series at the moment which seems to be losing more and more viewers as it goes on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of The Neverhood, enjoy! I don't have time today to work on the extra footage today but I'm hoping to have something up within the next few days. As I've mentioned a couple of times, the chronicles will be an ongoing project that will take place over the next few weeks\months.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. Thank you for all of the tips, advice, comments and for watching. This has really been a fun game to play, it's a shame that I waited so long to do it but I'm glad that I got around to it eventually. Armikrog will be up next but I won't start it until the extra footage video is done. I've heard some mixed things about Armikrog, the reviews for it aren't great and I've read that they ran out of funds early so they released it not as intended. Either way, it'll be an experience. I'll post in here as soon as the thread has been created.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 8, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This is the finale of The Neverhood, enjoy! I don't have time today to work on the extra footage today but I'm hoping to have something up within the next few days. As I've mentioned a couple of times, the chronicles will be an ongoing project that will take place over the next few weeks\months.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. Thank you for all of the tips, advice, comments and for watching. This has really been a fun game to play, it's a shame that I waited so long to do it but I'm glad that I got around to it eventually. Armikrog will be up next but I won't start it until the extra footage video is done. I've heard some mixed things about Armikrog, the reviews for it aren't great and I've read that they ran out of funds early so they released it not as intended. Either way, it'll be an experience. I'll post in here as soon as the thread has been created.

Looks like the video is no longer up on YouTube.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Looks like the video is no longer up on YouTube.

Thank you for letting me know. For some reason when I copied the link it missed out a letter. I've updated the links:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like the incredible pathos on display: Robot Bill never desired to do harm, he was literally just switched on to evil!
and then later the monster goes out of its way to get and destroy his teddy bear!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I can never unsee the fact that Bil dramatically opens the door twice.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

This game is beautiful, but feels artificially elongated? With puzzles that could be solved way faster with better controls.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

I can never unsee the fact that Bil dramatically opens the door twice.

I thought the second time was after he was hit with the cannon?

NHO posted:

This game is beautiful, but feels artificially elongated? With puzzles that could be solved way faster with better controls.

A lot of games do this kind of thing, unfortunately. Maybe not to the levels of driving around in a convoluted travelling system but they do find ways to extend the playing time for no good reason. Usually so they can advertise "over 20 hours of gameplay" and the like, even though over half of that is most likely the walking time.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 8, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I thought the second time was after he was hit with the cannon?
Klaymen rappels down before an opened door, and hits the ground in front of a closed one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Shout out to goon Clockwork Beast who had (has?) an avatar of this game's Clockwork Beast with the title text "Clockwork Beast! Clockwork Beast! We're doomed!"

Also man this game seems a lot larger to a ten-year old. It probably didn't help that I got stuck on that mouse maze puzzle for as long as I did. Thanks for showing it off regardless, I don't think that we'll ever see another game like it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was definitely expecting more from the first easter egg. This one only takes place in the room that you start in and it won't be necessary to record it. To activate it you have to press enter, then type happybirthdayklaymen and then press the enter key again. All that happens is that you get "transported" to the next room with the venus fly trap. Transported is probably the closest word that I can use as you are taken to the screen and he walks through the doorway as normal. If you go back into the starting room again the door is still closed, which means that you have to open it the normal way or type in the code again.

There is another code which you can enter in the same manner. The code word is fastforward and this makes Klaymen walk at double the speed. Which was very handy in finding this next easter egg.

Max Wilco mentioned the name that appeared at the end of the hall of records. Mark Lorenzen was an artist, writer and voice actor for The Neverhood. This is another one that doesn't need to appear in a video but I'd still like to share it all the same.

I will try to work on the others tomorrow. I still have the radio, Willie animation and the alternative ending to check out.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

From what I understand, if you were to go back to Klaymen's nursery and mailbox, since Willie... died, for lack of a better term, the mail would be written by Klogg from the moment you get into the palace until the end of the game. But that's just secondhand knowledge, and I'm curious if there's any weight to that.

Anyway, I'm happy to have relived this weirdass passion project once again. I try not to view this as a video game, and I suspect the creators were of the same mindset. This feels like testing their present boundaries of how you could apply claymation to a video game structure, and I don't think many concessions were given to the idea of backtracking or lovely puzzles (the memory game one was just egregious) as they just sorta did whatever the hell they felt like trying.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Materant posted:

From what I understand, if you were to go back to Klaymen's nursery and mailbox, since Willie... died, for lack of a better term, the mail would be written by Klogg from the moment you get into the palace until the end of the game. But that's just secondhand knowledge, and I'm curious if there's any weight to that.

This is accurate, and there's even a different music track that plays while reading Klogg's hate mail.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video: Additional Scenes

This video includes the missing scene with Willie and the alternative ending.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video: The Neverhood Radio

These are the songs that are on the radio. I tried to record them in full, or at least as much as I could. All of the songs repeat but some have breaks where others don't, so some songs may be slightly extended and others slightly cut. Here is the list of the songs that you will hear in the video, timestamps are in the video description:

Potatoes, Tomatoes, Gravy, And Peas
Resolution #8
Klaymen Takes The "A" Train
Chiming In
Low Down Doe
An Elf Sings His ABC's
I'm Thirsty, I Need Wahwah
B3, B.C.
Coffee And Other Just Desserts
Spring Has Sprung
Down In The Mines
Gargling Drummer
Thumb Nail Sketch
Scary Robot Man
Sound Effects Records #32
The Laughing, Crying, Screaming
Sound Effects Records #33
Playing Pool In Outer Space

You can listen to the official soundtrack, or even buy it, here on the composers' Bandcamp page: https://terryscotttaylor.bandcamp.com/album/neverhood-songs-deluxe

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos: Klogg's Notes

The last video for now. Thank you for the heads up with these notes as they would have gone unnoticed otherwise.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to spend another hour working on the chronicles tonight and I managed to finish the images for Ogdilla. I managed to condense the 33 entries into 19 images and have uploaded them all to a single Imgur post. I'll work on the video another time as I'm done with working on LPs for today and want to relax a little before I head to bed.

The Neverhood Chronicles
Ogdilla - Images

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've decided to delay Armikrog by a couple of weeks. I mentioned before about my daughter coming down to stay with me and I need to spend some time preparing for her arrival. It's best that I start it off when I have the time to put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Neverhood Chronicles
Ogdilla - Video

I uploaded this last night but it finished processing while I was too busy to post about it.