Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
Edit: I hate this title now, if a mod could change it to anything that sucks less I would appreciate it

Techtonica is a game in a cool underground setting with a focus on automation and rewarding exploration.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1457320/Techtonica/

It's also a game about exploring a huge underground world, exploiting the hell out of every part of it, preserving some of it if that's your thing, and automating the hell of everything you can because if you can't have 1,000,000,000 of it then it's not worth having.

You start off by waking up in the middle (literally) of an extensive mining/exploration project on a rogue planet that drifted near Earth at a time when it desperately needed resources. Everyone is gone, and it's up to you to figure out why by mining resources and building up a factory to respond to the increasing demands of the world around you.

Exploration rewards you with new things to build and new technologies, as well as new biomes and new flora (I haven't encountered any fauna yet). There is a lot of environmental storytelling and a lot of things to scan.

Early access: It's in EA and it's listed as version 0.1, but this doesn't feel at all EA or 0.1 to me, the only bugs I've encountered have been AAA type bugs like audio cues saying "oh this is cool, wow we should explore Interesting Feature A" when I'm coming back to an area for the third time. The game is extremely playable, though I have noticed an FPS drop as my factory gets bigger and I don't think my factory is very large yet.

I haven't yet seen all the content that this game offers but holy poo poo is it scratching an itch. So far I've hugely enjoyed every step of the process, and I'm looking forward to hollowing out my world and building a huge factory. All the QoL stuff I want is there as well, just needs to be researched, and nothing so far has felt grindy.

If you've played Factorio, Dyson Sphere Program, Satisfactory, anything in that space, this game is entirely up your alley!

a gay lion named Tangiers fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 30, 2013
Bump with a better OP.

Jul 30, 2013
bump

a gay lion named Tangiers fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 20, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You're not getting replies because people already talked about it a bunch in The management thread. People had some complaints but mostly liked it, and I think most are waiting for patches/more content before looking again.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

K8.0 posted:

You're not getting replies because people already talked about it a bunch in The management thread. People had some complaints but mostly liked it, and I think most are waiting for patches/more content before looking again.

Yep. I tried the early access version for a bit, saw a lot of promise, and decided the game needs a lot more time to bake.

I'm looking forward to playing it someday.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like the game. It’s cool and has a bunch of promise. I played all there was to play in 0.1 and I’m ready for future updates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This popped up in the Flatscreen to VR Discord.
Havent tried it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NpHeqOV6uw

https://thunderstore.io/c/techtonica/p/3_141/TechtonicaVR/
https://github.com/Xenira/TechtonicaVR