Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bip Roberts posted:

Has anyone said those clowns in Westminster?!?

Fun fact, this was remade in the US as ‘Those Clowns in Washington’. It has been running for 247 seasons now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

EL BROMANCE posted:

Fun fact, this was remade in the US as ‘Those Clowns in Washington’. It has been running for 247 seasons now.

That show loving sucks

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

DC Follies did to Spitting Image what the Japanese did to Nanking.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The Thick of It was pretty funny. Want to see your Doctor Who curse up a loving storm at people?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

happyhippy posted:

Animation was usually a kids thing upto the Simpsons in the UK, probably in most countries.
Outside of TV show intros, can't think of an adult aimed cartoon show before The Simpsons.

The Flintstones was made for an adult audience. You might have to be a dork who watches documentaries about cartoons to be aware of that, though.

Was “Dangermouse” not for adults? It was on Nick at Night, iirc.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bored posted:

The Flintstones was made for an adult audience. You might have to be a dork who watches documentaries about cartoons to be aware of that, though.

In Australia dangermouse aired when we got home from school fwiw

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Dangermouse and Count Duckula were the first places I heard the Thames jingle.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bored posted:

I knew the Flintstones sold cigarettes in ads.

Dangermouse was always shown during the kids hours of 3pm-5pm in the UK when there was just 4 channels.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bored posted:

The Flintstones was made for an adult audience. You might have to be a dork who watches historical documentaries about cartoons dinosaurs and caveman to be aware of that, though.
Fun fact: David Attenborough narrated the first season!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Makes sense, it's the honeymooners with pretend dinosaurs

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Watch the show he did back in the early 2000s called Ideal.
He plays a drug dealer ( I deal geddit!) who never leaves the house, everyone comes to him.
It has some of the greatest characters ever made. Cartoon Head and Psycho Paul.

Snowy posted:

It seems hard to find in the US but the first series [of Ideal] is on archive.org, thanks for the heads up!

https://archive.org/details/bbc-ideal-s-01-e-03-the-boyfriend-dvdrip-lkrg

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm partway through episode 1 and like it (even though I don't use drugs any more). I'll watch all of those.

The British seem to be far better than Americans at making sitcoms about trash people, see also, for instance, The Young Ones, Bottom and the seminal Steptoe and Son.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

happyhippy posted:

Watch the show he did back in the early 2000s called Ideal.
He plays a drug dealer ( I deal geddit!) who never leaves the house, everyone comes to him.
It has some of the greatest characters ever made. Cartoon Head and Psycho Paul.

2nded, that show ruled

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea both the Flintstones and the Jetsons were intended to be more like primerime sitcoms, hence the laugh tracks. Which are kind of jarring in a cartoon.

BigBadSteve posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm partway through episode 1 and like it (even though I don't use drugs any more). I'll watch all of those.

The British seem to be far better than Americans at making sitcoms about trash people, see also, for instance, The Young Ones, Bottom and the seminal Steptoe and Son.

These are all great shows but 'murica made seinfeld which is imo as good a show about lovely people as any of those

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I like Andy Zaltzman.

He is silly, has stupid hair, and likes Test Cricket.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I guess he's not really a comedian technically and also Irish but I fuckin love Graham Norton, dude is witty as hell.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

free hubcaps posted:

I mean, Wallace and Gromit is pretty great

I did consider that, and although its funny, it's family entertainment first and foremost - I guess kind of like Toy Story has jokes, but I wouldn't categorise it with Bojack Horseman or The Simpsons or whatever.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bromwell High was funny and animated. In 2005.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

free hubcaps posted:

I guess he's not really a comedian technically and also Irish but I fuckin love Graham Norton, dude is witty as hell.

I don't see much British TV but his show is good and I watch clips of it all the time. He has absolute top notch guests all sitting on the same couch. He's pretty funny and intelligent too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95kyK6_UT8Y

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Love Ab Fab

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
and then I got off the bus, ah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNnjz-ZNrE

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Pour one out for Rik Mayall

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I used to think Jimmy Carr was funny. I still do, but I used to, too.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

When I was as a kid my parents would rent a VCR for the school holidays and we would always rent the Grim Tales videos and watch them over and over, they are pure Mayall with cool lo fi animation. Moved on to Young Ones and Bottom as I got older.

Rik was a legend

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

free hubcaps posted:

Graham Norton started out doing stand up comedy, actually.

It's not comedy in the strictest sense but one of my favourite shows was Creature Comforts, from Aardman. Take real life vox-pops from the British public about a variety of mundane topics, and have them spoken by various claymation animals in everyday settings. Great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps9ujUwty1E

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't see much British TV but his show is good and I watch clips of it all the time. He has absolute top notch guests all sitting on the same couch. He's pretty funny and intelligent too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95kyK6_UT8Y

I'm outing myself as a bougie old, but the vibe I get from his show is extremely good dinner party -the guest get relaxed, and just start doing stuff to entertain each other and have fun doing so.

Hiddleston's Norton impression is just perfect too, I love when you get to see actors do really skillful stuff so offhandedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

He did this show called Believe Nothing that aired like once late at night. Tiny budget, very Mayall, some killer one liners. Took me like 5 years to find a DVD of it.