Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sourdough Sam posted:

I gotta say, I don't know why people don't talk about this one as much. I thought it was incredible.

When it first came out, the director was expected to be Miyazaki's successor.

Then he died of an aneurysm a few years later.

If he'd made more things, it probably would've been talked about more, but he didn't, and it does still feel different, so it's out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why is there a lot of talk about Successors for Miyazaki? There aren't discussions about successors to other writers, directors, producers and other creatives. Is anime the differentiator?

I'm working my way through all of his films starting from the oldest, I have seen quite a few but missed some til now, and God dam why did I wait so long to watch castle in the sky and kiki? Magical stuff. Don't quite get the lupin love, though.

Boy and the heron was amazing. I didn't understand the aunt/mother stuff either but other posters itt cleared it up for me. One of this best.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, there's been plenty of talk about things like the next Spielberg or someone taking over Zelda from Miyamoto. If you carve a big enough niche, people speculate about what happens when you get out of the game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bald Stalin posted:

Why is there a lot of talk about Successors for Miyazaki? There aren't discussions about successors to other writers, directors, producers and other creatives. Is anime the differentiator?

I'm working my way through all of his films starting from the oldest, I have seen quite a few but missed some til now, and God dam why did I wait so long to watch castle in the sky and kiki? Magical stuff. Don't quite get the lupin love, though.

Boy and the heron was amazing. I didn't understand the aunt/mother stuff either but other posters itt cleared it up for me. One of this best.

People worry ghibli will wither without Miyazaki in a way they don’t worry about other studios that have a deep bench of directors

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Sourdough Sam posted:

I watched Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns , the latter being a lighthearted side adventure featuring the cats from the former. Whisper of the Heart wasn't directed by Miyazaki but it was written and storyboarded by him. I gotta say, I don't know why people don't talk about this one as much. I thought it was incredible.
My A-tier, or second-from-the-top tier, whatever you wanna call it, if we're talking more than just the H. Miyazaki movies, is a lot bigger, including Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Arrietty, From Up On Poppy Hill, and When Marnie Was There. In comparison, The Cat Returns is pretty solidly "meh".
What the gently caress is up with their respective movie posters, though? (Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns, I mean) They're like... they should be switched, right?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

People worry ghibli will wither without Miyazaki in a way they don’t worry about other studios that have a deep bench of directors

It’s also a concern of Miyazaki himself. He’s basically Mr Ghibli, especially since Takahata died. When Miyazaki dies/finally properly retires Ghibli will basically be over, in any recognisable form anyway. They’ve been trying to build up a successor for decades, and the recent sale of Ghibli to Nippon TV is basically an admission they’re giving up. This happened because Miyazaki is a notoriously terrible boss and mentor and has managed to drive away any potential protégé, and in one case arguably murdered them.

Of course one of those potential protégés is his own son Goro. For some insight into their relationship, check this out - this is one of the co-founders of Gainax, so he knows everyone involved personally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDncPfDzqTM

Hayao and Goro worked together on From Up On Poppy Hill after that video was recorded, so presumably they patched things up though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I guess I didn't consider it's a studio like Pixar. People expect there to be more Pixar. I thought of Miyazaki more like Beethoven; a creative genius and when he's gone it's all over red rover.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

and has managed to drive away any potential protégé, and in one case arguably murdered them.

I would like to know about the murder. Was it worked to death like in Amadeus

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to know about the murder. Was it worked to death like in Amadeus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshifumi_Kond%C5%8D

Had pneumonia in 1985. Made his Ghibli directorial debut in 1995. Got tagged by Miyazaki to work on Princess Mononoke in 1997. Died in 1998 of an anyeurism.

Of the working conditions for Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki is quoted as saying: “I didn’t feel obliged to keep the company going… I was a slave of this piece. I didn’t care if everyone collapsed to complete this film. I was prepared to let them work without sleep for days.”

Here's a video essay about the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPbk2zf4-zQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status/1744184675164455169?t=5jJU5Ct2eDUxjGO36QpVFg&s=19

Best Animated at the Globes

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I watched Pom Poko. I was absolutely not ready for the stone cold testicular bloodbath in this kid's movie. I figured the violence was all in good fun up until a certain point :stare: It's still a pretty charming movie. I love the parade sequence. Also the dub has most of the cast of Futurama doing the voices.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jujujulieta/status/1746943545221759377?t=0hwVD-R9fofse_3fXekpqA&s=19

Some grifter in Colombia is claiming to have personally drawn a quarter of the movie despite not being credited

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
i mean who cares about a literal 94 follower twitter nobody who makes such obviously false claims? Whatever happened to not giving attention seekers attention?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm personally waiting to hear both sides of the story before rushing to judgment...

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Tommy Tallarico brainworms, now in new Girlboss FlavorTM

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Julias posted:

i mean who cares about a literal 94 follower twitter nobody who makes such obviously false claims? Whatever happened to not giving attention seekers attention?

Apparently she made it into the national? regional? newspaper, which is amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
On a rewatch, the meta auteur's-inheritance reading of Boy and the Heron receded into the background for me. It's still a fairly mysterious movie even on a second viewing. Things that stuck out to me:
1. The noble pelican says that pelicans were brought to the tower for the purpose of eating the wara wara
2. The graveyard gate is inscribed with the message "He who seeks my knowledge shall die."
3. Kiriko reproaches Mahito for crossing the graveyard gates and warns him of a threat that we never see on-screen: that the dead would rise against him if he doesn't follow the proper ritual for leaving the graveyard. (could these be the wraith-like boatsmen, rather than the wara wara?)
4. The sea of the dead with its phantom boats is right there throughout the movie; while maneuvering around the tower Mahito briefly climbs out a window and sees it not far away.
5. Mahito intuits that the stone building blocks are made of "gravestones," which his great uncle confirms.

These points lead to a kind of sinister reading of the great uncle's designs. Was he trying to have the pelicans devour all the dead spirits so he could unearth their knowledge without opposition? Was he, by having the pelicans eat the wara wara, trying to deplete the earth of life, so that his tower would be the new center of creation in the cosmos? Also, his tower is metaphorically built on the backs of the dead, going by the gravestone description--an apt metaphor for the war and its imperialism.

Kiriko has a scar similar to Mahito's and says that it was from a "swamp thrasher" (English translation; no such bird exists with the common name "swamp thrasher"). It appears that she ran in to the tower at the same time as Himi (since she steps out the same door as Himi at the end). And the two of them have some degree of magical power over fire, which they use to protect the wara wara--seemingly acting against the great uncle's designs, if he brought the pelicans in to eat the wara wara. Did Himi gain "the knowledge of the dead" and thus gain control over the element that would ultimately kill her?

I don't think all of these details necessarily need to be decoded for the movie to make sense to the viewer; the mysterious and magical logic of the film is certainly intentional. But it's interesting that there seems to be this hidden metaphysical structure to the story. It reminds me a bit of the Nausicaa manga, which goes to some truly wild territory as it explores the setting.

the birthing chamber sequence is still the most mysterious thing in the movie to me. I don't really understand the significance of what is going on there, or why the characters make the decisions that they do. it seems to transcend normality and takes on a mythical register.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 22, 2024