Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Fiye posted:

I remember when people figured out a certain earth aoe spell procced defensives but didn’t do damage so for a few days there were a mountain of people doing this in the vindicators city. Also the icp guild that robbed like a dozen or two different guild banks. Early darkfall was wild

Darkfall was pretty poo poo as things go for many reasons but the first few months up until around when they finally got a US server were pretty great.

I was unable to sit and afk grind to get my character to a competitive level due to only having a poo poo laptop I needed for college work, so I specialized in breaking into player cities and hunting afk grinders in their own cities. Earned a ton of reagents, an utterly mindboggling amount of Tier 0 staves, and even a building's worth of construction mats from one hilariously lucky gank, but not a whole lot else.

Darkfall makes me kind of sad because it seemed to have the biggest initial support out of any of the full loot mmos that have came out since but the devs hosed up by being bad and playing massive favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

The Homeland Invasion incident in DAOC.

So, each of the 3 realms had their RVR (PVP) zone as half of the same map/zone as the starting one. I.E. one contiguous map with no port or loading. At the 'border' between the RVR zone and the pve only zone there was a huge border keep with a bunch of guards. Really high level guards. And gates - double gates on both sides, and each pair was interlocked so they were mantraps.

Mythic thought this was impenetrable. Those guards are level 99! They guaranteed oneshot everybody with a big nuke!

Except they did single target nukes, and they had a cast time.

So, one day a realm got together, got everybody they could - level 1's could participate here, or level 50s, didn't matter, because everybody's job was to eat up three seconds of one of the guard's cast time by taking a nuke. They mobbed an enemy realm's border keep and charged. Dozens, hundreds of players being massacred by the guards. But, the guards couldn't kill everybody in time to prevent a few players from managing to get into the first mantrap, out of the first one, across the keep's courtyard, into the second mantrap, and out of it - to a zone they were ABSOLUTELY NEVER supposed to get into. As there was no hard "you can't pvp here" code in play, you now had a few level 50s from an enemy realm running around the starter zone, slaughtering every lamb they could see.

They shortly thereafter changed the code to force a teleport back 200 yards if you crossed an invisible line too close to the border keep, but for that one day, chaos reigned.

I was killed by a hib ranger that got through, in Salisbury plains, on my paladin. They managed to hang around for a bit before being killed or a CSR did something about it. I hadn't thought about that in a long time, lol. The ranger was named Willow.