Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Problem description: I recently had to update my Nvidia drivers on the Linux side and this has seemingly caused a cascade of issues resulting in one of my monitors being totally hosed. . I have three monitors, two Dells and a Samsung in the middle plugged in to a 20080ti via DP. After I updated the drivers I noticed the sound wasn't working when I booted in Linux, I couldn't detect my headphones. I set the default sound card to the headphone sound card and restarted the machine. When it booted back up in Linux or Windows seemingly the middle monitor would not get detected with the DP cable. Using an HDMI cable and plugging that into the middle monitor works fine. No matter what I do, the DP port cannot detect my Samsung monitor.

Attempted fixes: I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers clean on both Linux and Windows, still no dice. I removed the default sound card settings in Linux in the event this baffingly affected anything. Still no dice. I've switched the cables around between the monitors and plugged them in different ports without luck. Seemingly only HDMI works now with it. I am kind of at wit's end. I have no idea how these two things affected each other. At this point I'd be satisfied if I just got the DP port working again on Windows and let the Linux poo poo remain busted.

Recent changes: Installed Nvidia drivers 535 from 525. After noticing the sound wasn't working I tried the 535 open drivers then the monitor stopped working. I rolled back to the 535 drivers.

--

Operating system: I have a dual boot setup running Windows 10 and Kubuntu.

System specs: 2080ti

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4699 and then reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I did try that out, it didn't seem to work. I did end up fixing the problem. It seems something caused my monitor to switch to a different DP version. I plugged a different machine in with a DP cable and set it back to DP 1.2 and it looks like it's working on Windows again. Linux is all hosed, but that's Nvidia drivers on Linux for you.