Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
i'm going to gush over a game i just discovered

i found a copy of 9 Lives to Valhalla at a local store and got to run it for friends last night.

It's a rules light (28 zine pages) game about being death metal viking cats in a world past the time of Man, where your enemies are Dogs and others that want to return to The Leash.

The GM plays DEATH

Attributes (brutality, viciousness, cunning, and ferocity) are different dice sizes, determined by a God of the Panthera Pantheon that's supporting you.

When rolling, you use two attributes depending on what you are trying to do and keep highest.

Anytime you roll dice, something has to die.

When you lose the roll and you die, Valkyries descend from the sky and take you to the gates of Valhalla, and the Panthera Pantheon says, "that was a Glorious Death! but you are not yet done in your ruinous adventures. Receive our blessing [there's two pages of these], return, and fight once more."

If your death is not glorious, well, not glorious deaths are not in the rules, so you tell the GM your death is bullshit and they have to come up with a proper Glorious Death.

You get to die 8 times before your Final Death.

With 3 players that's 27 deaths, which means at bare minimum 27 rolls. To keep this to a one shot, you have to play wicked fast with blood and guts everywhere and non-stop violence.

If a foe kills all of the cats in one go, they become a Nemesis to all and a truly worthy opponent to fight again.

We had 2 full party wipes

Will be playing this again as soon I possibly can

fosborb fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

fosborb posted:

Anytime you roll dice, something has to die.
If your death is not glorious, well, not glorious deaths are not in the rules, so you tell the GM your death is bullshit and they have to come up with a proper Glorious Death.

These are very clever bits of writing and I think I love this game now. You'd want to play this with a very specific sort of group, but man will that group have a great time. Love the art style, too.

I started reading Miseries & Misfortunes this evening, which is Three Musketeers-era France via a fascinating hybrid of Burning Wheel and Red Box D&D. Still early in my reading and there's already a lot of neat bits, but this one really sticks out to me as clever:

That is the kind of rule that says a lot about your game.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

My favorite thing I came across recently is this KAHLESS game. It's a Pendragon hack to be leaders of a Klingon house during the days of the High Command. It works suspiciously few changes aside from basic renaming and grouping virtues differently for Klingon beliefs. Honestly, the only significant change is a light starship combat system that is probably comparable with the mass battles with a bit more jank.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 24, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
????

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I mean... yeah! Hamming it up as Martok is encouraged, I bet.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I am immediately sharing this with friends. absolutely bad rear end

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm starting an Eternal Lies campaign with Trail of Cthulhu, and it's really neat how it comes with a full soundtrack for locations and specific scenes. I get why it's not a common occurrence, but it really does help me get into the mood while preparing for different sections of the scenario.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I would read the Alexandrians remix, he has a lot of thoughtful patches and so, so many useful graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I think about one thing from Burning Wheel a lot more than I should, especially because I'll never play it and the writer's Cancelled, but I really like how with all the Bonus types you get for following your character's stated beliefs, you also get rewarded for going against them. Because that's always a super interesting part of a story and should be encouraged.