Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I went to Wrought's wedding this weekend, and was in the process of packing before leaving. She said I could use her kitchen to make stuff for all of us, but that she's still got most of her stuff in storage, so please to bring spices. Cool. I could do that! PS, the party was awesome, and the food was top notch. No complaints. Minor background info: she has a drat good stove, a giant sink that gives screaming hot water, an oven, a grill (actually more than one grill), and a microwave. We could go shopping at the local stores for ingredients, but seeing as how it's 2 hours away from the really big cities with a strong immigrant population/culture, I wasn't exactly going to be able to find obscure or highly specific things. As in, I'd need to go to the more fancy stores to get leeks, and not the regular grocery stores. This meant that because she had limited stuff at home, and limited options to get things quickly (amazon does deliver, but this is stuff I wanted on hand at all times), I'd need to bring my most important spices.

Immediately into my box went mustard seed (black), cumin seed, sesame seed, urad daal, turmeric, asafoetida (LG brand, of course), salt (diamond Kosher for life, because Wrought is a Morton's Kosher fan, and only has that evil stuff around), and black pepper. If I'd had a bit more room, I'd also have packed thyme (dried), and whole red chilies (dried). However, I figured thyme is a spice I can find in pretty much any store that sells spices, and that most of the people hanging out with us can't really take super spicy food anyway, so the red chilies would have been a waste to carry with me.

The mustard/cumin/urad daal/asafoetida is an obvious one, because it goes into pretty drat near every South Indian dish ever in some combination or other. The turmeric is because I love how it tastes, and it also gets used in a ton of South Indian cooking. Sesame seeds are because I can't really schlep around that Indian sesame oil with me everywhere I go, and I like the flavour that sesame gives to things. Frying sesame seeds in oil doesn't at all substitute for the good South Indian sesame oil (Idhayam brand only, please), but it gets the taste broadly close enough that I find myself reaching for it quite often. The salt, I'm picky about because if you are used to Diamond Kosher salt, and switch over to Morton Kosher salt, you end up salt bombing your food. The black pepper I'm picky about, because I go through a LOT of it in a year. Again, South Indian food is replete with black pepper, as it's native to our shores. I buy the whole peppercorns, grind it into one of those small spice shakers, and go through it in about a week or two before having to grind more. Pepper grinders do not get me the fineness that I want along with the quantity that I get through.

Why thyme? It's one of the herbs that works really really well when it's dried. Basil loses its charm. Curry leaves have to be fresh or frozen, or you might as well skip them. Oregano is fine, but I don't find myself reaching for it that often. Thyme I use any time I have brown lentils, mushrooms, or anything else that's super earthy.

It got me to thinking. If you had to limit yourself to only packing 10 spices (because of space constraints), what would you end up choosing? I'm not giving salt for free. It needs to take up a slot if it's essential for you. If I wasn't so loving picky about salt, I could have taken my chances that the grocery store will have Diamond Kosher, or just used the Morton's. Ask me how I know that it's not alway the case that the store carries Diamond. :( Same with the pepper. If I was confident enough that I could get the quality of black peppercorns that I'm used to from the Indian market (because they have a much more frequent turnover rate than the mainstream stores), and was willing to take my chances with what I'd find at the local stores, I could have just used whatever. But, because I use so much of it, and I'm used to a certain quality, that wasn't something that I could comfortably compromise on.

For the purpose of this exercise, I'd say that anything that you'd use to season your food I'd count as a spice, even if that thing is a curry paste, a spice blend, a sauce, or other liquid. Because I'm South Indian, my food doesn't have a ton of wine, or stock, or vinegar. If we want souring, we'll reach for lemon/lime, or tamarind. I didn't bother with packing garlic powder, because I prefer fresh garlic anyways, and because I'm vegan, I'm not using a bunch of dry rubs and whatnot. I didn't bother with onion for the same reason. None of these things went into my packing, because I was fine doing without, or buying them locally. If you have confidence that you can get ______ locally, I'd say don't waste the slot. However, if you are picky about something (like a specific type of hot sauce, or specific brand of vinegar).

This is less for a challenge about really doing the thing, and more of a thought experiment. I'm curious to see what the rest of you guys would take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I mean, it depends on what I think I'll have to cook, but my primary versatile spices are probably:
1. Paprika (Sweet)
2. Paprika (Smoked)
I think paprika is just the spice I reach the most for. Scrambled eggs? Add some paprika. Roasting veggies? Paprika. Making a sauce? Paprika. Can't go wrong with it.
3. Salt, (Not because I'm picky about salt, but because not having *any* will absolutely ruin most dishes, so I'm not risking it)
4. Cumin (Ultra-versatile, and with paprika can be made to make most dishes amazing, also combines well with the garlic powder)

The first four are the ones I don't think I could really do without. If we really have no sources of an acid (lemon? Lime? Vinegar?) then I'd swap one of the paprikas for lime juice.

5. Garlic Powder (I prefer fresh garlic, but I'm assuming I'm going to be limited in what I can procure, and it works well for rubs),
6. Garam Masala (I know, I'll be crucified for not making my own, but the pre-mixed versions from my local indian grocery are a life-saver when i can't grind my own spice mix, and using it to make a daal or spicing up roasted veggies is just an easy dinner),
7. Red wine vinegar (Honestly, there's a variety in my pantry and i'd probably pick one depending travel constraints)
I'm assuming I can secure a *reasonable* olive oil, because otherwise, I'd probably drop the Garam Masala for it, and just go slightly more mexican/european in the dish variety

If I'm planning on making a lot of weekday meals, I'd either go Japanese or Chinese, and I think Japanese is easier to pack for, especially if I can secure some sugar and some ok sesame oil, though I can make without the sesame oil. It depends on if we're going to have access to relatively fresh ingredients though.

8. Sake
9. Soy Sauce
10. Mirin

If I were going to make a bunch of chinese food, instead I'd do

5. Schezuan Peppercorns
6. Dried Chili Peppers
7. Chinkiang Vinegar
8. Shaoxing wine
9. Soy Sauce
10. Doubanjiang OR Fermented Black beans.

Really depends on where I'm going, for how long, and who I'm planning on feeding.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Oooh, this is a fun challenge.

My number one would definitely be herbes de Provence, since a particularly blissful holiday in France where this blend of herbs was stored in a HUGE mason jar in the cottage kitchen, routinely topped up by the owners from their garden, it’s been my go to for a quick way to provide depth to any vaguely western European cuisine, which is probably my culinary comfort zone.

1. Herbes de Provence
2. Habanero Tabasco sauce
3. Molasses
4. Smoked paprika
5. Whole black peppercorns
6. Butter
7. Cumin
8. Worcestershire sauce
9. Celery salt
10. Colmans mustard powder

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I usually cheat this by getting commercially available spice blends but this is interesting.

1. Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning
  2. Old Bay
  3. Tajin
  4. Togorashi
  5. Furikake
  6. Kosher Salt (Morton's)
  7. Whole Black Peppercorns
  8. Paprika (Smoked)
  9. Turmeric
  10. Apple Cider Vinegar (I think Apple Cider is my most reached for Vinegar, but this could be swapped for red wine vinegar pretty easily)

If we are including fresh herbs in here my list changes dramatically.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grandicap posted:

Apple Cider Vinegar (I think Apple Cider is my most reached for Vinegar, but this could be swapped for red wine vinegar pretty easily)

My most reached for vinegar is definitely white wine, we go through about five bottles for every one of anything else

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
* checks pantry *

In no particular order:

Lawry's seasoned salt
Montreal steak spice
Soy sauce
Huy Fong garlic chili sauce
Huy Fong sriracha
Mirin
Korean red pepper powder
Old Bay
Ketchup
Chinese black vinegar

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
-- #01: Cumin
-- #02: Cinnamon
-- #03: Nutmeg
For all of the above, if I'm cooking a recipe that calls for one of those spices, and the only thing I have access to is the pre-ground version, I will seriously consider just not making the recipe. Once you get used to how much different recipes taste using whole, home-toasted spices, it's difficult to go back.

-- #04: Pink/black peppercorn blend
The "four peppercorn blend mixes" are easily the best upgrade you'll ever make to a home-cooked steak, and pretty much anywhere else that you'd want to put on a grind of fresh black pepper. Watch out for mixes that like to include other spices like coriander; nothing wrong with coriander, just not what I want in my pepper grinder.

-- #05: Garlic powder
Any recipe I make that calls for garlic (which is pretty much every non-dessert recipe I cook), I typically put both in fresh garlic and garlic powder - I had long felt like adding both created a different flavor profile than either on their own, and watching the following video on the topic has cemented my opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgES_Oj6-tQ

-- #06: Cayenne
Goes in everything. Savory, sweet, a big spoonful or a little dash, literally goes in everything. Bam.

-- #07: Smoked paprika
One of those things I can't really think of a good substitute for. Liquid smoke has its place but I wouldn't say it's the same.

-- #08: Tony Chachere's
There are just too many recipes in deep southern cooking that benefit from a dash or two of Cachere's. Soul food, cajun/creole, blandass yankee dishes, you name it.

-- #09: Old Bay
I'm pretty sure Old Bay is the foundation of all American seafood recipes.

-- #10: Marie Sharp's hot sauce
Both as an ingredient and as an accompanyment to the finished product. Not super-hot, and with a sweet, tropical note from the habenero base. Easily my favorite hot sauce, and goes with drat near any type of cuisine I can think of.

Special shout-outs go to cardamom, fennel, star anise, cloves, coriander, turmeric, bay leaves, and cashews - I don't need these as often as most of the above, but if I know I'm going to be cooking a specific cuisine or set of recipes they absolutely travel with me. Accept no substitutes for whole, freshly ground & toasted spices. :colbert:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

If you don't already have a Dino, seriously consider obtaining one.

Seriously. This godforsaken forum gave me a brother. (no, really- my parents call him their son and he visits them without me.)

I will add to this discussion the concept of the Indian spice flinger, one of the best gifts I've ever gotten. Get one.

https://www.amazon.com/KSJONE-Container-Compartments-Stainless-Transparent/dp/B09SG2KS8R/

Dino and I have a running joke that when he gets hungry he starts the rice and blooms the spices and then decides what he wants to eat. When I get hungry I start the pasta water, throw a knob of butter into a saute pan, dice some shallots and then decide what I want to eat.

If my house is on fire and I have a dinner to cater, I am running out with the following:

salt (Morton coarse kosher. Die mad.)
grinder of black pepper
balsamic vinegar
Penzeys Italian seasoning (might technically be cheating)
white pepper
cinnamon
herbes de provence (also cheating)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Wroughtirony posted:

Penzeys Italian seasoning

herbes de provence

Definitely not cheating, but potentially redundant in my view. Having both Italian seasoning and herbes de Provence seems like taking up two slots with two very similar herb blends…

sine730
Jun 4, 2023

Smoked paprika, Morton kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper will get me through 90% of my meals. I use cayenne and cumin a lot too.

As for spice blends, Lawry's makes the best garlic salt. Slap Ya Mama is a great Cajun blend. Chef Prudhomme's Pizza and Pasta Magic is a favorite of mine, but it can be tough to find here sometimes.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Seconding the Slap Ya Mama blend.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
cancelling Wrought for preferring morton's over diamond

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

This is a good question, and I put more thought into it than I'd intended. In rough order of how I'd grab things in putting together my essential list (but not necessarily how much I'd need them):
  • Salt (Diamond Crystal, duh)
  • Good black peppercorns. Gotta get the good ones
  • Aleppo flakes, which are the best kind of pepper flake
  • MSG
  • Fresh lemons. Too many people just have a squeeze bottle of lemon juice in the fridge, and not only is that so much worse than fresh juice, but it means you can't use the zest either, and I need that zest.
  • Thyme, same reason as Dino, it's my go to dried herb.
  • Cumin seeds
  • Mustard seeds
  • Miso paste best paste
  • Tajín, which is such a shortcut I almost feel bad for including it, but it's so good as a finisher on so much
I can wing basically anything I regularly cook by throwing all of this in a bundle and taking it wherever I gotta be, or just pulling it out of the cabinet and making poo poo up on the spot. I know I included MSG and miso, but they serve different purposes and I'm nearly always going to want access to some kind of umami boost.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

IT'S JUST SALT, IT'S DOESN'T MATTER WHICH BRAND YOU USE

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Diamond Crystal has a lighter texture and is less dense than Morton's, so I can confidently measure things in pinches using it that will be oversalted if I use Morton's. I know by feel how much is the right amount of salt to grab for a pot of beans and what it looks like to sprinkle the amount of Diamond I use on anything, and when I've used Mortons, I routinely oversalt. It's why I gotta grab that brand, and I know I don't always find it in stores

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use table salt because it's fine, we don't add iodine to ours in the UK

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Wungus posted:

Diamond Crystal has a lighter texture and is less dense than Morton's, so I can confidently measure things in pinches using it that will be oversalted if I use Morton's. I know by feel how much is the right amount of salt to grab for a pot of beans and what it looks like to sprinkle the amount of Diamond I use on anything, and when I've used Mortons, I routinely oversalt. It's why I gotta grab that brand, and I know I don't always find it in stores

This is accurate, but doesn't make it better, it is what you are used to. If you calibrated your pinches to table salt or Mortons or whatever it would be you undersalting if you grabbed Diamond.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
White pepper ( good Malaysian water washed)
Hódi paprika
Decent sherry vinegar (or PX vin if it's summer)
Cumin seed
Thyme honey
Chimayo Chiles
Sage ( home dried whole leaf)
Mexican oregano
Vanilla sugar
Vanilla noyaux

The last two only come with if I'm planning on baking. Most white pepper gets too funky for me, but the good Malaysian stuff is smoky and hot. Life changing if you toast it and add it to any breading. Thyme honey for biscuits, vinaigrette, meat and veggie glazes and rubs. I use sage and Chiles everywhere and getting consistently good sage and Chiles takes more work than I care to spend.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Salt
Black pepper
Cumin
Red pepper flakes
Smoked paprika
Oregano
Garlic powder
Thyme
Tony’s or equivalent Cajun seasoning
Chupacabra blend if I’m grilling / chili powder (or dried chilis to make a blend) for other

Recently I learned I can get away with eyeballing all spices except sage. I over-saged a wild rice casserole and now I’m extremely sensitive to it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

prayer group posted:

cancelling Wrought for preferring morton's over diamond

Pistols at dawn after a night out in Vegas? Say, May-ish?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
calmly explaining the situation to tsa after they demand to know why my fanny pack labeled "essential spices" has three kinds of soy sauce and a gun in it

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grandicap posted:

This is accurate, but doesn't make it better, it is what you are used to. If you calibrated your pinches to table salt or Mortons or whatever it would be you undersalting if you grabbed Diamond.

Just to make it clear. Wrought is family at this point, and I love her dearly. I call her parents mom and dad, and they call me their son. Any ribbing I’ve sent her way about salt preference is threaded through with a wink and a grin. Of course salt is salt, and you reach for whatever you like. None is better than the other, and it’s always best to use what you are used to. If your local table salt doesn’t have anti clumping agents and iodine added, by all means use it. If you’re used to Diamond Kosher because the crystals are super fluffy and dissolve very quickly, reach for that. If you’re used to Morton’s whose grains are flat and a titch thicker, and probably best for koshering meat because that’s what the point of kosher salt is you goddamned Diamond loving hipsters, then by all means use it. At the end of the day, cooking is definitely a thing a lot of us do by feel, and switching to a different tool mid stream can and has caused disasters. It’s why when I need to make a really important meal, I’m so fussy about the spices (including salt!) I’m using, because this isn’t a small pot of mashed potatoes that I can sub out with something else. This is a 5 gallon pot of mushroom chowder that’s got several many $$$$ dried and fresh mushrooms going in.

All that said.

I’m curious. Would you all be interested in a separate thread about most essential cookware and most essential kitchen tools? Because I brought those too, and I have different criteria for those.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

prayer group posted:

calmly explaining the situation to tsa after they demand to know why my fanny pack labeled "essential spices" has three kinds of soy sauce and a gun in it

literally my dad: "so if one of you harms the other during this duel, are you charged with a-salt?"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
#1 and #2 are salt and whole black peppercorns, there's a reason black pepper is such a popular spice the world over that it's taken for granted and considered so default that every recipe book in the world will just assume you already have it in your kitchen. Honestly you could go a long way with just salt and pepper as seasonings. You can make a perfectly fine roast chicken or salmon filet with just salt and pepper and oil or butter. Salt and pepper go on everything. Try cooking without them for a week. You will fail. Undisputed GOAT seasonings.

Continuing in no particular order:

whole cumin
turmeric powder
kashmiri chili powder
whole cloves
coriander
cinnamon
cardamom

I cook a lot of Indian dishes, and I have a crappy old blade coffee grinder that I use exclusively for grinding spices. It takes very little time to heat some whole cumin, coriander, peppercorns, cardamom and cloves in a dry pan until you hear the seeds start to pop and then grind them for a fresh garam masala that will be way better than whatever store bought powder has been sittin the back of your cupboard for years. Whole spices keep better than pre-ground too!
And those individual spices are all quite versatile and can be used for lots of things besides curry.
Whole cumin by itself is great as a base for any stir fry with some garlic and ginger and onions, plus it goes well on things like pork chops or fish as well.
Cloves, cinnamon and cardamom are great for both savory meat dishes and sweet baking. I love to put ground cardamom in things like milk bread or panna cotta or even creme brulée

Kashmiri chili powder has become my go to instead of cayenne or any other red chili, I like the flavour and it's not too overpoweringly hot in reasonable quantities.
Turmeric is essential for masoor dal (red lentil) dishes which I make fairly regularly.

Last spot is hard, maybe vanilla, maybe nutmeg. If i'm doing any dessert / sweet baking vanilla probably gets the pick as an essential.

Scientastic posted:

IT'S JUST SALT, IT'S DOESN'T MATTER WHICH BRAND YOU USE
I will never understand people who insist on using fancy salt for anything where the salt is going to be dissolved, be that pasta water, sauces, even dry brining. It really does not matter and you are throwing money away if you use fancy fluffy crystal salt anywhere that you don't have visible salt crystals on top of something so the texture of it will actually matter. Bon Appetit is terrible for this, I think they must be paid off by Mortons and Diamond.

P.S. you noticed what no one has picked for their top 10 here? Bay Leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

I use table salt because it's fine, we don't add iodine to ours in the UK

It's not the iodine I object to. It's the anti clumping agents. Also, the super fine grains.

Entropic, that's because none of us are Bengali. Bay leaves are a starting part of drat near every recipe they make. It's wild. They go mustard oil, bay leaves, dried chilies, and then whatever spices.