Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

because I was an absolute clown with no sense of tmi or whatever of course I told almost everyone about everything I was getting up to, because she was a long distance relationship so no one at school knew her so I was very open. I rolled my mums car 2 days after getting my restricted license trying to do rally driving maybe it would have been better for the world if I had died lol

im surprised you, of all people, were over sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

because I was an absolute clown with no sense of tmi or whatever of course I told almost everyone about everything I was getting up to, because she was a long distance relationship so no one at school knew her so I was very open. I rolled my mums car 2 days after getting my restricted license trying to do rally driving maybe it would have been better for the world if I had died lol

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the us is all over the place on this.

one district i went to was

k-4: elementary
5,6: middle school
7-12: high school

another was

k-5: elementary
6-8: middle school
9-12: high school

but after i graduated they've switched to

pk-2: primary
3-5: intermediate school
6-8: middle school
9-12: high school

I think our numbers are one off coz

primary 1-6
intermediate 7-8
high school 9-13

13 years of school starting at age 5

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

I think our numbers are one off coz

primary 1-6
intermediate 7-8
high school 9-13

13 years of school starting at age 5

most people in the us do thirteen years too we just start with kindergarten. parts of canada did both kindergarten and then thirteen grades but i don’t think anyone does that anymore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm we do kindergarten too, it’s a place some kids go before school (age 5) and some don’t, it’s certainly not part of the years of school.

anyway america produces more smart people and we have worse literacy year after year these days. weird education ideas from liberals lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah back in the day it used to be optional but i think it’s just a required part of the education there pretty much everywhere now

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

hmm we do kindergarten too, it’s a place some kids go before school (age 5) and some don’t, it’s certainly not part of the years of school.

anyway america produces more smart people and we have worse literacy year after year these days. weird education ideas from liberals lol.

i listened to a whole podcast series about this, NZ was ground zero for some dodgy early education ideas https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

that kind of poo poo is everywhere

quote:

"Whole language" is a philosophy of reading and a discredited[8] educational method originally developed for teaching literacy in English to young children. The method became a major model for education in the United States, Canada, New Zealand, and Great Britain in the 1980s and 1990s,[7] despite there being no scientific support for the method's effectiveness.[9] It is based on the premise that learning to read English comes naturally to humans, especially young children, in the same way that learning to speak develops naturally.[10][11][12]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

i listened to a whole podcast series about this, NZ was ground zero for some dodgy early education ideas https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/

jesus christ

defo means that if your kid isn’t gaining those skills at home they might just not get them. my kids seem ok. my niece is 6 and struggles to spell her name

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think whole language is kind of closer to how I learned to read but it's also clearly pointless as a pedagogy because for the kids who are going to go off and become proficient in reading by recognizing words after they learn the very basics and don't need explicit instruction in things like phonics it probably doesn't matter what approach you use in the first place so it makes no sense to focus the pedagogy on them

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 26, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

jesus christ

defo means that if your kid isn’t gaining those skills at home they might just not get them. my kids seem ok. my niece is 6 and struggles to spell her name

the really sad thing was that the techniques were meant to help children struggling to read! They tried to teach techniques that only work well for already strong readers encountering individual words they don't know (e.g. if I see the word "vehicle" in a sentence next to a picture of a car, I might deduce that it's referring to the car. That isn't how I generally read though, it isn't a problem solving exercise normally), wealthier families would hire tutors to get their kids over that initial hump so it didn't matter so much for them. Their kids just needed practice. But the ones who needed the help the most would just get completely left behind.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
more like hole language lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

supposedly i learned to read because my parents didn’t want to read to me so o watched sesame street until i could read on my own

so i recommend supplemental sesame street op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

some people had sex during high school times

as I was a christian sex was off the table so had to settle for 69rs praise the lord

a fun thing that would happen is when one of you finished you suddenly got post nut clarity (or girl post nut clarity) and you’d feel guilty and wanna stop and pray and the other person was just left feeling sad and horny and profoundly unsatisfied

there isn’t rly… ‘girl post nut clarity.’ whatever feelings of guilt or drop afterwards just doesn’t rly happen for bodies running on estrogen lol. at least ime. it’s def an improvement

e, tho if you’re part of some lovely religious org that doesn’t think sex is good and cool then you can still feel bad for other reasons ofc

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 26, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

there isn’t rly… ‘girl post nut clarity.’ whatever feelings of guilt or drop afterwards just doesn’t rly happen for bodies running on estrogen lol. at least ime. it’s def an improvement

on some level PNC is good for me coz it means I can get on with things lol

but the experience of the young ladies I was with at the time finishing and then collapsing into the “oh lord I have sinned” state of being wasn’t isolated.

that guilt defo carried into marriage. like I got married at 23 and when the lord was finally like “go forth and gently caress, I’ll be rooting for you”, well, I still got guilt after a mcjizz coz you’d so strongly associated coming and guilt. extremely bogus

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i don’t really get PNC other than relief i don’t have to N for a while now. hope you found this useful, update your yospos.xslx

mystes
May 31, 2006

git apologist posted:

i don’t really get PNC other than relief i don’t have to N for a while now. hope you found this useful, update your yospos.xslx
this deserves to be a separate file pncbank.xlsx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hi echi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDDQ54UftA