Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Problem description: I built this PC about 10 days ago and it has been working great until last night. I shut it down to go to bed and the displays turned off but the case fans kept running and the LEDs on the mouse and keyboard stayed lit. I gave it a couple minutes to finish shutting down, and it never did, so I pressed the case power button for 5+ seconds until it shut off. Since this was very odd I turned it back on and attempted to load into Windows and it failed. After a couple times of this it finally started trying to load into automatic repair. Unfortunately, when it does this all I get is a black screen with an hourglass cursor that I can move around with the mouse. It never goes past this and I have to press the restart button on the case to get out of it.

Thinking that Windows broke itself and this was a startup issue, I got a USB flash drive and used the Windows Media Creation tool to make a Windows 11 installer. I got the PC to boot into the Windows 11 installer and all I got was a blue background with a white mouse cursor I can move around. If I press F11 I get a command prompt type window that says winpeshl.exe but I cannot input anything into it. I've also tried ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+esc and it does nothing. If I close the window the background goes to black and I have to press the case restart button to get out of it.

I have not opened the case or changed any hardware except for getting a new mouse on Friday. I installed the mouse on Friday and the PC worked fine and started up/shut down properly that day.

Attempted fixes: I am not overclocking the system and cpu/ram timings are at default.
I can get into the bios fine and system temps are good. CPU is around 40C and Mobo is around 32C. Fans are all spinning nicely.
All hard drives and the graphics card were hooked up when I initially installed Windows 11 on this machine.
BIOS version is the newest one, which I installed when I first setup the computer.
Firmware on Samsung 990 Pro is newest one available.
I've used 2 different USB flash drives (Samsung 32GB & 64GB. The 64GB is the one I installed Windows on the PC with.) using both the Windows Media Creation tool and rufus to make bootable installers of Windows 10 & 11. I've tried CSM and UEFI settings in the bios, no change. I've tried them formatted in ntfs and fat32, no change. I have turned off secure boot in the bios. No change. I've tried them in the front usb ports and the back usb ports.
I have tried the drives on a different working computer and they bring up the Windows installer no problem.
I've removed all USB peripherals except the mouse and keyboard. No change.
I removed the power cord from the PC and held down the power button for 10s+ and let it sit overnight. No change.
I removed the power cord from the PC and shorted the cmos clear pins on the motherboard with a jumper for 20 seconds. No change.
Tried monitors on the gpu and the onboard mobo connectors. No change.
Thought the RAM might be the culprit. Ran memtest86 v10.6 free 4 passes and no errors.

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

System Specs: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.92 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 309 Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Also have 2 WD 1TB Blue HDD (the spinny type) and a 512GB Intel 600p NVME drive with nothing on it.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Spent all day googling this and haven't seen much. The few solutions I've seen have been either the flash drive is bad, which seems ruled out here, or it is unsolved. Fun.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
The culprit turned out to be one of the spinny drives.

I got the PC down to pretty barebones by removing the graphics card, both sticks of ram, and unplugging both sata drives. I then removed the cmos battery and cleared the cmos via jumper. I then added one component at a time until I plugged in the SATA drives and it froze up like before. I have the offending drive on an external sata docking station now and it won't come up in File Explorer at all. RIP.