Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You know there should of been a courier faction. Couriers are cool.

Well okay the only other you meet's a crazy jerk, but I'm sure all the rest are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

buglord posted:

does your tails avatar have a butthole or is that just an unfortunate pixel placement

:smugbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Why did you just post an image of someone smugly staring at tails butthole?

THE HELL???

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

dr_rat posted:

Why did you just post an image of someone smugly staring at tails butthole?

THE HELL???

:wink:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Beartaco posted:

lmfao I forgot about the absolute dogshit performance Matthew Perry puts on in this game

lol yeah, especially contrasted with the all time performances from House & Caesar it stands out badly. Doesn’t even feel like he’s trying to be a mafia dude. General Lee was another one that had room for improvement, the acting wasn’t bad but just sounded like another NPC & compared with the other faction leaders he was by far the least interesting. And it’s not like it’s a flaw in the faction, we only get the president for one scene & he’s far more interesting.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

all the fnv expansions were amazing in their own way. just crazy good.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

lol yeah, especially contrasted with the all time performances from House & Caesar it stands out badly. Doesn’t even feel like he’s trying to be a mafia dude. General Lee was another one that had room for improvement, the acting wasn’t bad but just sounded like another NPC & compared with the other faction leaders he was by far the least interesting. And it’s not like it’s a flaw in the faction, we only get the president for one scene & he’s far more interesting.

F.I.S.T.O. is just one of the Bethesda actors, and he puts on a tour-de-force performance for all 3 of his lines compared to Matthew Perry.
What a great character F.I.S.T.O. is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Fisto actually one of the Bethesda stable actors? I don't recall there being much if any voice crossover between Bethesda and Obsidian Fallout outside of Ron the narrator.

Fisto and Prim Slim would make a perfect protectron power couple

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Fisto actually one of the Bethesda stable actors? I don't recall there being much if any voice crossover between Bethesda and Obsidian Fallout outside of Ron the narrator.

Fisto and Prim Slim would make a perfect protectron power couple

idk, its not some big name though is what I was really getting at.

Just some stock voice actor putting 1000x the effort into the anal fisting sex robot with 3 lines than Matt Perry into one of the main antagonists.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Buce posted:

People seem really split on Dead Money, but I think it's probably my favourite one. It totally changed your gameplay, added a lot of tension, and the story and characters were just awesome. You need stealth, melee, and to accept that you can't do as much exploring unless you want to die.

Old World Blues is incredible. Not only the best F:NV DLC, but maybe the best DLC ever.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Buce posted:

And they were all unique too, I like how most peoples rankings are different. Favorite to least,

1. Old World Blues
2. Honest Hearts
3. Dead Money
4. Lonesome Road

I still liked Lonesome Road for what it is, I just like the story/characters in the others a lot more

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

OWB got really old for me really fast.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
DM > HH > OWB > LR

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I really liked the premise of Honest Hearts and really disliked how they did very little with it

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Space Kablooey posted:

You know the missions were pretty tedious.

Punkinhead posted:

And they were all unique too, I like how most peoples rankings are different.
And the general consensus may have changed. I remember when people loved OWB, and hated DM, but now it seems like the opposite. I should play them again to see if my opinion's changed.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

"During the final battle of Hoover Dam, the courier was nowhere to be found...
Spirit eroded by desert; will cleansed by vengeance...

While the NCR, Legion, and Mr. House's Securitrons fought to their death...
The courier went back to Goodsprings and did sleep 24 hours."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This opinion is very controversial but Honest Hearts was the only good DLC. None of the others felt like Fallout to me and I only ever did them once, but Honest Hearts I do every time I play the game because it's the one that just feels like more Fallout.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Best DLC: Dead Money. Poignant and eerie, memorable companions and locales; the whole thing is tightly wound and has a genuine heart beneath the cynicism as well as a strong central vision. People who say the gameplay is bad and frustrating are lying to themselves, this series never had good gameplay.

Second-best DLC: Honest Hearts. JE Sawyer attempts to create a morally grey dilemma about pacificism and settler colonialism, accidentally creates a compelling argument in favour of genociding some really lovely dudes alongside your best bro the Burned Man.

Third-best DLC: Old World Blues. You'll love our cast of Wacky Robot Characters, player! Now go run gauntlets of respawning enemies at 30 locations until it's time for the final encounter, we're not made of voice-acting.

Worst DLC: Lonesome Road. Chris Avellone bangs his head, decides that everyone's favourite part of KOTOR II was when Kreia rants at you about how giving a homeless man money has far-reaching butterfly-effect consequences that you should have somehow anticipated and which are your fault. Writes a whole story about this.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

This opinion is very controversial but Honest Hearts was the only good DLC. None of the others felt like Fallout to me and I only ever did them once, but Honest Hearts I do every time I play the game because it's the one that just feels like more Fallout.

That's why it's so high up for me, Fallout 3/4/76 never have the desert tribal aspects of Fallout and it was just as big a part of the originals as the atomic-era 50s aesthetic, if not moreso imo

Bethesda Fallout just feels like 50s night at the car show by the retro diner. Which is fun and I like it but it's missing something

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

grobbo posted:

Best DLC: Dead Money. Poignant and eerie, memorable companions and locales; the whole thing is tightly wound and has a genuine heart beneath the cynicism as well as a strong central vision. People who say the gameplay is bad and frustrating are lying to themselves, this series never had good gameplay.

Second-best DLC: Honest Hearts. JE Sawyer attempts to create a morally grey dilemma about pacificism and settler colonialism, accidentally creates a compelling argument in favour of genociding some really lovely dudes alongside your best bro the Burned Man.

Third-best DLC: Old World Blues. You'll love our cast of Wacky Robot Characters, player! Now go run gauntlets of respawning enemies at 30 locations until it's time for the final encounter, we're not made of voice-acting.

Worst DLC: Lonesome Road. Chris Avellone bangs his head, decides that everyone's favourite part of KOTOR II was when Kreia rants at you about how giving a homeless man money has far-reaching butterfly-effect consequences that you should have somehow anticipated and which are your fault. Writes a whole story about this.

swap OWB and LR for me but this is pretty much it. the cast of OWB wore me super thin at some point, and LR is saved for me because i could nuke the legion

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I forget how HH went, what happens if you kill everything and everyone you see before they talk to you or start a quest or anything

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

asking for a friend

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

grobbo posted:

Lmfao truth

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GolfHole posted:

I forget how HH went, what happens if you kill everything and everyone you see before they talk to you or start a quest or anything

i accidentally shot the guy that runs towards you after the first ambush and everyone turned hostile to me and it gave me a quest marker to gtfo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Space Kablooey posted:

i accidentally shot the guy that runs towards you after the first ambush and everyone turned hostile to me and it gave me a quest marker to gtfo

mailman go home

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GolfHole posted:

mailman go home

he was running towards me with his weapon out! what was i supposed to do??

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

grobbo posted:

Yet this is the DLC that adds James Urbaniak to really draw in the nerd vote. Extremely correct on the other DLC rankings though.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Space Kablooey posted:

he was running towards me with his weapon out! what was i supposed to do??

You'd think that a man like Joshua Graham so versed in the ways of war would understand that it was Follows-Chalks fault for entering a gunfight in the direct line-of-fire of the caravan he was trying to help

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Old World Blues is incredible. Not only the best F:NV DLC, but maybe the best DLC ever.

It’s good but I’d have to go with Ballad of Gay Tony, added so many “go have fun” options.

Space Kablooey posted:

Yeah overall best & I liked them taking a big wacky swing but a big memory was a bulletsponge giant scorpion taking too long to die.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

grobbo posted:

Chris Avellone is a good writer, don't get me wrong, but when he suffers from writers block he tries to hide it by changing his writing style to 'cryptic crossword clue'. It was painfully apparent in some parts of Pillars of Eternity and the same thing happened in Lonesome Road.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

DM > LR > HH > fallout 3 > OWB

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lonesome road is fun, it's the Half Life dlc. think about it

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i didn't play New Vegas until like two years ago. i thought oh theres some Romans? thats probably some fascist poo poo.

i think i got through one sentence out of Vulpes Inculta, the first roman the story may have you encounter. what a nerd that fucker was. voice actor was comparable to david cross

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only faction I identify with in New Vegas is the guy who got hired to run the powerplant

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's got a theoretical faction and it's so good.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

The only faction I identify with in New Vegas is the guy who got hired to run the powerplant

Christian Slater VIII?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

fallout must return to the west coast, where it belongs godammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

Christian Slater VIII?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRlmP6l_I2I&t=209s