Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Steam posted:

Quasimorph is a mix of classic turn-based roguelike RPG with an unique extraction twist:
If you die, you lose everything you took on the mission.
If you survive, you keep everything you looted.
No exceptions. No excuses. No mercy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2059170/Quasimorph/

Quasimorph is a top down extraction shooter set in a dystopian corporate ruled future. It plays similar to Stoneshard including a more detailed health system. You have to manage fullness (finding food on missions is pretty easy) which goes down faster the more you carry. You play as the head of a PMC and take missions from the various corporations/factions in the game where you are tasked with usually murdering a ton of people. There is also a strange sickness going around called Quasimorphosis which turns people into demons from another dimension, it seems you can also be turned into a demon but I have yet to have this happen. The roguelike element is that your PMC mercs are clones, so if you die in a mission you'll get that clone back (without any equipment) where you can continue to improve there skills. You will die a lot.

There seems to be an over arching story but I have no idea what is going on, there's a lot of lore if you're up for doing some reading. So far I am enjoying this game but it is pretty difficult, the devs introduced a "starter" pack when you lose a merc to at least give them some basic equipment.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There is a stock market in the game where you can invest in the various corporations/factions but I do not understand what it actually does.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I liked the demo, but it seems a lot of people are now complaining about overtuned difficulty and unfair rng. I've seen that there have been day 1 hotfixes to address that, which on the one hand - ok, cool, but on the other it doesn't inspire confidence that the devs know what they want to do with the game.

I don't minnd difficulty, but I do mind games wasting my time. Idk, what do you think about the current state?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

I liked the demo, but it seems a lot of people are now complaining about overtuned difficulty and unfair rng. I've seen that there have been day 1 hotfixes to address that, which on the one hand - ok, cool, but on the other it doesn't inspire confidence that the devs know what they want to do with the game.

I don't minnd difficulty, but I do mind games wasting my time. Idk, what do you think about the current state?

I've played 4.4 hours so far. It's a mixed bag. On the one hand the turn by turn combat is fun and there is an emphasis on resistances and vulnerabilities you will learn the more you play. Basic humans are easy to take down with a pistol shooting 9mm but as you start to encounter robots/demons the key is hitting them with shotguns or flamethrowers, basically learning what counters what. The game explains almost nothing, it's very opaque in how you should approach a mission. There doesn't seem to be any indicator to how difficult a mission you take is. The rewards are faction reputation and some items at the end of the mission but you really don't know what you're getting into. It might be a fairly easy milk run where you kill a few enemies on the first floor and extract or it might turn into a 30+ minute excursion where you're trawling thru 4 floors of enemies trying to find an item before being allowed to extract. The plus side to this is the environments are destructible and you are given plenty of tools and opportunities to try to accomplish a mission in lots of different ways.

The game will not let you extract from a level if you don't complete the objective. That is unless you find a blueprint item, these are permanent items you can craft on your ship or via crafting stations in mission. If you find one (or more) on a level you can head back to an elevator or your drop ship and extract at anytime. It's not clear what happens with the faction rep when you do this but it is a means to get out of a level with some valuable loot. Your mothership (between missions) acts as a loot holding pen, when you die you lose everything you have collected in mission but if you're successful you can bring back valuable materials or weapons/ammo/utility items for your next mission.

Mercs are clones, meaning when one dies you get the same merc back for future mission (minus any equipment). You start with 4 mercs with different buffs you can also find additional mercs in mission (basically a collectible USB) which if you successfully extract with unlocks that merc. There is no penalty I've seen from using the same merc over and over, so if you find a particular merc build you might just keep using them each time.

Overall the game is fun but doesn't quite seem to know how hardcore it wants to be. There is a lot to peel apart in the depths of the mechanics but very little is actually outright explained. It's very much a game of trial and error right now. So far the gameplay has me hooked but there is definitely some refinement to be done by the devs.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Is the game as it stands in a state where one could be expected to tell if they groove with it in the refund window? I love everything this is presenting as, but I'm fearful it may be overtuned or something else unforeseeable.

And $18 ain't nothing.

E:phone posting is hard.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I would say so. There is a brief tutorial mission but you're into the meat of the game within probably 20 minutes, you'll probably know pretty quickly if you enjoy the turn by turn game play.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Bought the game on a whim because it looks right up my alley.

Which corpo is a good one to start with?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Sorry for the double post, but holy poo poo this game is a blast! Just discovered the beautiful combination of Victoria and tunnel rat. That extended shotgun range feels amazing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Game fairly good, it's easy to get stuck in a rut though. I keep having issues with hitting high quasimorph levels on the longer runs, need to stock up on booze and morphine somehow. It does scratch a big itch for a good singleplayer extraction game, similar to Zero Sievert.

I did find that you can save a lot of time and ammo just by shooting someone and walking away. They bleed out just like you do so often they can just die entirely like that. Or set the room on fire.

I'd put out these tips to people playing fresh, I've done about 8 hours now:

1. Infection only matters if you hit 100%, if you can heal your wound before then it'll go away. Also specialized items can give bonuses to heal rate but any piece of cloth can at least stabilize it.
2. You can make infection lowering items for free on your ship's crafting menu.
3. The movement system isn't explained well. You can sneak, walk, and run. Each level trades caloric burn for actions per turn, which means that moving slow keeps your calories up. There's an update coming soon that is going to overhaul this.
4. Melee works better than it seems like it would, although I don't usually dedicate a slot to it.
5. You can evacuate early a lot of times, which is what you should do if you get a special item/class chip.
6. The character that you pick for your clone is actually pretty important, they all have their own stats and special perks, such as being immune to infection and slower calorie burn.

Popete posted:

There is a stock market in the game where you can invest in the various corporations/factions but I do not understand what it actually does.

It's a representation of each corp's power level, not something you directly trade with. As their power increases you can get better rewards for them. If you click on their section it'll show you the availible items as well as a percentage, which is your chance of receiving it from either doing missions or by trading items with them at stations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why'd they rename it from quasimorphosis exordium

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Your Computer posted:

why'd they rename it from quasimorphosis exordium

Maximum of one weird word per title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Mackenzie as a melee class is amazing. Her innate high dodge with her bonus of it not dropping below a certain percentage gets you out of so many lovely situation.